“It's a no frills hotel at a great price”

Great Lakes Inn & Suites
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in South Haven
Chicago
“It's a no frills hotel at a great price”
Reviewed September 23, 2011

I stayed here on a Sunday night when we were camping because of rain. We didn't want to spend a ton of money and found this hotel online. I was pretty wary of the place by the reviews made, but was once again pleasantly surprised and realized yet again not to base much on reviews. This is not a fancy place and the rooms are not connected to the office which might turn people off for some reason. Our room was very clean and the bed was comfy. We had no hot water issues and the staff was very nice. I enjoy giving my money to mom and pop shops instead of a giant hotel chain but if you want a modern day hotel then go to one of the many other options available in the area that are all well over $100 a night. If you just want a decent room that is not a chain and an amazing price, then this is the place for you.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank linderboyd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Naperville
Reviewed September 6, 2011

The hotel was good for the price. I agree with some reviews it does need a little TLC but there is nothing to worry about in this location. You are a very short drive from downtown and the beaches, the owners are very nice and helpful. For a busy holiday weekend 79.99 plus tax is better then 190 if you are not even going to spend a lot of time there. Stay here and save the money for the great wine in the area. It is a nice motel and works as a place to stay. It was good for the money.

Room Tip: Reserve through the hotel it will save you at least 10 dollars compared to expedia.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ajschlo
Needham, Indiana
Reviewed August 10, 2011

We did not have reservations, and everything around there was expensive. It was a spur of the moment trip. It was not the best place to stay. First night could not get enough hot water. Beds, okay. Bathroom could be updated. Jacuzzi tub never would work. It just needs alot of T.L.C. Not sure if I would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank jobie44
mi
Reviewed July 5, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights over the forth of July with friends, after the weekend, we all agreed it was the worst place any of us had ever stayed. I was the only one out of four people who would use the shower because the caulk was covered in mold. The kind of mold, that just washes off with bleach--meaning it hasn't been cleaned in a while. The beds only had flat sheets on them, so at night they came off and you found yourself on a patch of bare mattress. There were dirty, smelly clothes left in the dresser--shorts that said "Paddle This" across the butt. Shady "ladies" and men in the parking lot, if you know what I mean--and some other rough looking characters. The room smelled like mold. Only thing good was 7:00 a.m. sharp the front desk had coffee going and the girl was nice. Noise from outside was loud at night. Pillows were flat as pancakes. I asked the girl upfront to have house keeping clean the shower and give us fitted sheets which she agreed to do, but then we decided maybe we didn't want anyone coming in the room while we weren't there after we saw the crowd hanging around.
It was so bad it was funny.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank cclomi

Travelers are raving about these South Haven hotels

Michigan
Reviewed August 23, 2009

This hotel is family run and provided the accommodations expected. The price was the cheapest in the South Haven area and while not the most prestigious hotel, it was not a bad place. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. Also the air conditioning worked well. What more can you ask for when on a tight budget? Also the manager/ owner was accommodating as we arrived late at night and needed extra sheets and blankets.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Chicago
Reviewed January 11, 2009

I went on a last minute motorcycle trip on Labor Day weekend 2008...that's how I am sometimes, spontaneous. Rode from outside of Chicago for a few hours and got into South Haven in the early evening.
There was absolutely no vacancy that I could find anywhere in town until I was given the name and number to Great Lakes Inn by a very nice girl who was a clerk at one of the other hotels in town.
Great Lakes had some rooms available and the rates sounded very decent so I got on the motorcycle and rode on over to check it out. They had a regular room with a single bed and one of there "suites" which was a regular room with an adjoining room which had a kitchen area.
The woman working the desk was very nice and even let me go and see the rooms before taking one, which to me was very nice.I took the room with the kitchen, which was just a little extra money... don't recall the exact prices that was last summer.
Honestly I was a little apprehensive about some of the people I saw hanging around the parking lot,but got over it pretty quickly.I also saw other decent looking people who were doing the same thing I was doing...just pullin in and gettin some rest for the evening.
I guess I was lucky with the room that I got as it was not bad at all.It was reasonably clean and in order.
When I left in the morning the woman at the desk was very helpful in giving me some info as far as what to see and do in the area.
So I say Great Lakes served me well that night.

• Liked — The location and the rates
  • Disliked — Seems to be a place where vagrancy occurs.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
4 Thank HarleyHopper
Cedar Springs, MI
Reviewed September 5, 2008

This was the worst place I have ever been to in my life. My girlfriend and I had planned a "Girls Weekend", away from the husbands and kids. We had booked a 2 bed suite - thinking the extra room and bigger tub would be nice. I had requested a 2nd floor room, but when we got there, they gave me a ground floor. It was difficult to figure out which room we were supposed to be in. Once we finally found it and went in - it was disgusting. We didn't even want to touch anything for fear we may pick up a terrible disease. The lighting was terrible, I'm sure to keep you from seeing how dirty it was. The owner did come back as we were discussing how to get out of staying there - I think he new 2 young women were not going to stay in this pit. He did agree to refund the credit card and we went and stayed with family that I had nearby (thank goodness). It wasn't worth catching some nasty bugs for one night away from our families. It also didn't seem like a very safe place - there was bus parked in the lot with a strange guy selling stuff off a table - very creepy. I will give them credit for being very kind about refunding our money - I think they know that their place is pretty awful. I would warn anybody against staying there - you'd be better off sleeping in your car at the rest area.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — It was dirty and unsafe - very scary. Most disgusting place I've ever stayed at.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank BusyMomOfThree
sunnypatel, owner at Great Lakes Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 11, 2008
they planed to go there freinds .so thats why they planing how to get refund and as soon they ask we gave them refund .they did not even stay more than 2 minutes how they find out all those stuff. thish nothing but to make drama.
Also consider these accommodations in or near South Haven
Holiday Inn Express South Haven
The Inn at Harbor Shores
The Inn at Harbor Shores
#2 of 6 in Saint Joseph

Been to Great Lakes Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!