“Overrated!”
Review of Hotel Nichols

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in South Haven
Hotel Nichols
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in South Haven
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Just a bit too ancient for our tastes. Bring your own amenities (kleenex, soap, telephone, hair dryer, heater/AC, etc.). Oh, and you might also want to bring breakfast. Every other B&B we've stayed at featured a nice hot sit-down breakfast but Nichols did not even have a table to sit at and featured the same Danish, bagels, etc you find at any motel. Must say it was quiet and in a good location.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank chipper002
JOEY21, Owner at Hotel Nichols, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2011

Hotel Nichols is not a Bed and Breakfast. I am so sorry if this guest was misinformed in any fashion. We are not listed under any Bed & Breakfast advertising promotions. We offer a continental breakfast with a menu listed on our website.

Reviewed August 30, 2010

I stayed at Hotel Nichols again this past spring, and it was great. The drive from Chicago was short, and the breakfast that was set out was better than I remember. Getting a chance to try the fresh fruit sent me to the farm immediately to pick some myself. Everything felt and smelled spring-cleaned and I still can't explain the convienience of the location. Walking down to the beach with my 5 year old was a piece of cake! Thanks again to Hotel Nichols!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 29, 2010

My wife and I were traveling through town and needed a place to stay for two nights (Aug 26,27 of 2010). As we were driving through town we saw this small Hotel. We met the owner and looked at our rooms. Both were nice and we decided to stay. The Hotel is 130 years old and delightful. The woodwork is beautiful, the Hotel is very clean and we did not need to use our car for either day. You can walk to shops, restaurants, the beach and the harbor. There is also something that makes you feel good about supporting a local owner and local culture.

You also cannot beat eating your breakfast outside in front of the Hotel. This was a great two days.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2010

we stayed in the bear and doll room the hotel was clean and it was in down town south haven we were told that it was 5 min. from beach could not reach the beach in 5 min. at a run took more like 15 min. the noise level was unacceptable there was abar across the street that had a live band that we heard until 12:30 am and then we heard everyone else in the bar until 1:30 am just to have the street sweeper come thru at 5:30 am both mornings that we stayed there the girl we checked in with was freindly but would not say the same for the rest of the staff we had contact with overall felt the room was overpriced and over sold as far as the quality of the amenities available the air conditioner did not keep the room cool and it took two days for the mini frig to cool down there also is no private parking for this or any hotels downtown so we had to park in public free lot three blocks away

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 18, 2010

South Haven is a charming, quaint town--perfect for a getaway from the big city. There are very few hotels in the center of town and Hotel Nichols is one of them. The location can't be beat; you step out of the front door and are right at the town center area and a quick walk to the beach and pier. The B&B is a very historic, quaint mansion with a rustic quality. Each room is uniquely decorated according to a theme eg Hunter, RockingHorse, Blue, etc. Since it's an old building, you can't expect modern amenities. A/C's are window units, separate hot/cold faucets, sink is somewhat rusty, toilet had some trouble flushing occassionally. Our bed was very comfortable though and we had enough privacy. Housekeeping was available daily to tidy up room, replace towels, etc. Breakfast was served from 8-10 and was pastries/fruit. It was average and could have been better eg very limited fruit selection, bagels were packaged supermarket quality and not bakery fresh, same with the coffee cakes, donuts and other items (very entenmann's and not bakery) It's not cheap, but if you want to get the most out of South Haven, it's your best option. We actually negotiated $20/night off of our price and they let us check out an hour late.
Overall, it was a comfortable room, clean, safe, private in a very quaint setting with an awesome location.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 14, 2010

About 35 of us stayed at the Hotel Nichols for our family reunion. It was a great place to be-close to everything so we could walk to beaches, restaurants and shops. Anna the propietor allowed us to use one of her rooms for the entire family to gather as well as the tables and chairs outside the hotel. Anna even made a special dessert as a surprise for our family dinner. ( It was excellent.) She kept a smile on her face and was very good to us. I can highly recommend the Hotel Nichols!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 16, 2009

I am a frequent visitor to South Haven, however usually stay at the home of a friend. This summer, when my friend's home was full for the week, I reserved a room at Hotel Nichols for myself and my daughters (adult). I had walked passed the Nichols many times but had never ventured within. I can tell you that I had been missing out! This little, charming hotel is a treasure. It's history & quaint furnishings bring you back to a much simpler time. Anna (Anya Marie) & JoAnna, my hostess', were pleasant, accomodated all sorts of requests and were truly a joy. Being right in the heart of town, able to park upon arrival and walk everywhere you want to go...I love that! I would recommend the Nichols Hotel to anyone wishing to fully enjoy the charm of South Haven.

• Stayed: August 2009
Baymont Inn & Suites South Haven
Boulevard Inn
Boulevard Inn
#3 of 6 in Saint Joseph

Been to Hotel Nichols? Share your experiences!