All reviews beach house fire pit sand area salt water pool overlooking the pond original hardwood floors bigger family rooms are pretty small volleyball net rehearsal dinner vintage hotel beautiful grounds chain hotels the cottages lake hammocks weekend
Reviewed August 27, 2018

We stayed in the cottage in a single room for 2 nights. The space was quite cramped but we appreciate that they take pets and booked at the last minute so it worked. The main building and rooms need major renovation. We truly enjoyed our time in the area but our room left a lot to be desired. It was also quite noisy next to the highway and not very private.

Room Tip: The cottage faces the Blue Star Highway so is quite noisy.
  • Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2018

We were looking for a place to stay for a last minute get away with our dogs. We were happy to find Sun N Sand would accept our 3 small dogs with a minimal pet fee and were pleasantly surprised with the hotel. Our room had original hardwood floors, a small but clean bathroom and chairs outside the room to relax. The grounds were very nice with fire pits, a pond, volleyball net and hammocks. We didn't get the chance to use the pool but the pool area looked very nice. It's obviously an older hotel, but much more what we prefer to stay in when traveling rather than a chain. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 23, 2018 via mobile

The pictures shown on the “resort” website are very misleading and it claims to be trip advisors #1 resort in South Haven. This place is dilapidated and in serious need of repair. The suites are really two small rooms connected by a bathroom. There is no sitting area or anywhere to just relax. I can only say that this resort is on the level of a motel 6 but costs the same as a Holiday Inn. The deck is in very poor shape and I almost felt unsafe walking on it. The “resort” is also located just off a busy highway so it is loud. I will say that the only redeeming quality for this place is the beautiful grounds and the polite staff. I have attached pictures of what was shown on the website and what it is in reality.

Stayed: August 2018, traveled with family
2  Thank Napervillema
Reviewed August 8, 2018

Stayed here 10-12 years back and it was nice. Don't think they did anything to it since. Think the pictures on the site are from back then. We stayed in one the "refurbished", very small rooms. (as the other rooms in the main smelled bad). It's in a building off by itself. Porch area was crumbling. Little creepy feeling. New flooring in the room but the floor was unlevel. We felt drunk walking in the room (but that couldn't be the case, see below). No carpet, not even a rug so when it rained the wet you brought in was all over. Walkway was.....no walkway, mostly filled with water. Bucket of cigarette butts and empty beer bottles stayed outside the door the whole time we were there (from previous people). At check in we were told to sign a paper that said we could not have alcohol on the premises unless we bought it from them. (What? we were traveling the state, of course we had a cooler with beer). And no, this was not known prior to check in. We travel alot and have never run into this. Grounds were weeds where once was grass and flowers. Best about it was the pool area. People were just being nice when the use the word "vintage".

Room Tip: can't. not sure there is a tip to give.
  • Stayed: July 2018, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ThomKhat
Reviewed July 9, 2018 via mobile

So my wife and I stayed here about 7 years ago and thought it was great! Everything looked nice and well kept. Well, we booked again for just 2 nights this week, and man, this place is already fading fast.

Our room looked NOTHING like the pictures online. I actually think the website for the resort is rather deceiving - on purpose. Basically seems like the rooms in the main Beach House haven’t been touched in the past 7 years. They look shabby and unkept.

Yes, after I made my dis-satisfaction known, my family was moved to 2 much better rooms in another building, but still, I have a lot of questions.

Why not tell people only part of the resort has been renovated?
When there is plenary of room, why not offer people the best rooms available at the same price?
Do they ever get repeat business?
Why are trash and dirty towels left sitting outside on the deck for hours after “cleaning”?
Is it hard to wash the pool towels? How long were they all sitting there in a heap before I mentioned it to the front desk?

I would not recommend staying here anymore, which is disappointing to say. Robin from the front desk helped us as best she could, which I totally appreciate. However, with owners that seem unconcerned and uncommitted to empty and deteriorating rooms, the front desk staff won’t be able to save the day much longer.

Disappointed and looking for a new place to stay on our next visit to SH.

Stayed: July 2018, traveled with family