All reviews beach house fire pit sand area salt water pool overlooking the pond original hardwood floors bigger family rooms are pretty small volleyball net rehearsal dinner vintage hotel beautiful grounds chain hotels the cottages lake hammocks weekend
Reviewed July 9, 2018 via mobile

So my wife and I stayed here about 7 years ago and thought it was great! Everything looked nice and well kept. Well, we booked again for just 2 nights this week, and man, this place is already fading fast.

Our room looked NOTHING like the pictures online. I actually think the website for the resort is rather deceiving - on purpose. Basically seems like the rooms in the main Beach House haven’t been touched in the past 7 years. They look shabby and unkept.

Yes, after I made my dis-satisfaction known, my family was moved to 2 much better rooms in another building, but still, I have a lot of questions.

Why not tell people only part of the resort has been renovated?
When there is plenary of room, why not offer people the best rooms available at the same price?
Do they ever get repeat business?
Why are trash and dirty towels left sitting outside on the deck for hours after “cleaning”?
Is it hard to wash the pool towels? How long were they all sitting there in a heap before I mentioned it to the front desk?

I would not recommend staying here anymore, which is disappointing to say. Robin from the front desk helped us as best she could, which I totally appreciate. However, with owners that seem unconcerned and uncommitted to empty and deteriorating rooms, the front desk staff won’t be able to save the day much longer.

Disappointed and looking for a new place to stay on our next visit to SH.

Stayed: July 2018, traveled with family
2  Thank Navybluedoug
Reviewed July 8, 2018 via mobile

We recently stayed at Sun n Sand for a couples getaway to South Haven. I was nervous due to the lack of recent reviews. I did find recent reviews on Facebook so I reserved two nights. Price wise it was the best deal that I could find during the 4th of July week.

I had originally reserved a room in the lake house. I had picked it for the kitchenette. When we got to our room there was no kitchenette. Shortly after getting all our stuff into our room we could hear everything in the adjourning room and could see under the door. We ended up switching rooms due to this. If you are with a group or bigger family I would suggest lake house they have been updated. If you are not I wouldn't recommend you feel like you are sharing a room with strangers.

The young lady at the desk was super polite and moved our room to the beach house without incident. These rooms are vintage. That being said they were very clean. The rooms are pretty small, but we spent little time in the room so it worked for us. This hotel does have a lot of potential. I think if they updated the tv and beds that would help. They also could use a book of info on the resort. There was nothing in the rooms. For example what time the pool closed.

Here are the things we liked best about the hotel:
-swimming pool was warm and seemed to be heated, plenty of seating options at pool, floaties that could be used by all.
-swing overlooking the pond with waterfall. We sat here the first night and enjoyed the sunset.
-fire pits: there are three of them, the front desk will give you fire starter and they have a pile of wood for all to use. We spent our last evening around the fire pit and star gazing.
-ice machine with crushed "sonic" ice perfect for adult beverages. We also were able to get bags of ice for our coolers to take to the beach.
-they do a great job of up keeping the grounds.
-we went on a busy week and the outdoor area is big enough that it was quiet and groups could spread out.
-if you are a dog owner this resort seemed very pet friendly.
-several charcoal grills available
-small sand beach area by pond with beach toys for kids

We will definitely go back, there are just a few things they could do to improve.

Stayed: July 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2017

So my husband and I love motels and resorts - chain hotels aren't really our thing for more than a night or two. Sun n Sand is our kind of place.Lots of history and out of the way, but easily accessible from the highway and downtown. We stayed in the Cottage building, and it was pretty much what we expected - the reviews scared us a little, but it was fine. Bed was so comfy, and loved sleeping with the windows open and listening to the sounds of the resort. Room was spotless, and we settled right in and slept like logs. Couple of things - while it was obvious the room was freshly painted, it was a bit camp-smelling when we entered, and the flooring had not been replaced as indicated on the website - very old, worn and stained carpeting. While the website says there is wireless internet, there really isn't - wide open and very unreliable. And if you want one of the lovely duvets you see on the website, you need to ask for it - but you wouldn't know that since there are no signs in the room to tell you. We suggested they add those signs. But even with those things, we would totally go back. Solid old-school lakeshore area resort.

• Stayed: September 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Susan C
Reviewed August 25, 2017

Pictures are very misleading, noisy, smelly, tiny room. We had 1 wash cloth 1bath towel and 2 hand towels. We asked if we could cancel and get any of our money back the gal with a bad attitude got there policy sheet out, after reading it we would have had to cancel before we booked to get any money back.
The place was so bad we left and forfeited our $$$
Do not stay here you will be sorry, THEY ARE CROOKS

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled as a couple
5  Thank 137gary
Reviewed August 21, 2017

I was very concerned about our stay once I read the reviews. Fortunately, our one night stay worked out well. The location is very convenient to town (to drive) - less than 5 minutes - and close to a good breakfast restaurant - Cousins. Our room was snug, but quiet, good water pressure in the shower and the bathroom was clean. The grounds were well-kept and inviting. It was nice not to be in a chain property. Wish we had more time to enjoy the pool as it looked very lovely.
Drawbacks: the refrigerator was not cleaned as there was a half-empty water bottle in there and the coffee machine was also overlooked as the filter was still full of used grounds. Yuck. It makes one wonder about the sheets and towels. It felt clean. Oh and the mattress pad was in the bedside table instead of being on - strange! But, for one night, it was a cute little place. I do hope they address the cleaning issues as the property has a lot of potential to be a gem. :)

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled with friends