“Short Weekend Getaway”
Review of Sun n Sand Resort

Sun n Sand Resort
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in South Haven
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We just got back from two days at the Sun N Sand Resort. I read all the reviews prior to making the reservation, so I already knew the rooms were small. Here are the positives: The rooms are immaculate! I cannot say enough for how clean everything is! The beds are very comfortable and even though these were the smallest rooms we've ever stayed in , everyone said they had the best night of sleep ever - I do think each room should have a mirror. The pool is fantastic and is also very clean. That being said, for two couples, the "suite" we stayed at was still just too small - even though it was two bedrooms connected by the bathroom, because there was no room to just "hang out". It would be great if they would figure out a way to keep the large room near the reservation desk open late. This would give people a chance to unwind at the end of an evening. We had some lout people standing outside of our room, which made it even worse. How about a screened pavilion with tables and chairs?

The quaintness of this hotel, and the price, still made it a nice stopover. But I'm not sure that we would return, or stay longer than one or two nights.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Judy R
There are newer reviews for Sun n Sand Resort

Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed at Sun n Sand resort from June 28th until June 30th, and had a wonderful time. The resort is just as advertised with "clean, quaint rooms". The style of the resort and rooms fit the bill for our beach vacation. If you're looking for a sleek hotel, look elsewhere. The beds were extremely comfortable, the room was very clean, and the property was a quick five minute drive to the downtown area and the beaches. The saltwater pool was relaxing and perfect for kids. This is the type of resort where guests sit outside with some wine and chat with each other. We are already planning our next trip here!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Scoutie9
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We stayed at the Sun n Sand Resort over a long 4th of July weekend in 2012. The grounds were absolutely beautiful - the original building with it's hanging flower pots adorning the wrap around porches, the crystal clear saltwater pool, sand "beach" area for kids, serene pond with stone waterfall, fire pit, sand volleyball court and the acres of woods around the perimeter. It was such a fantastic place to wake up in the morning and take your coffee and a book down to one of the many adirondack chairs scattered around the property, or to hang by the pool on a nice sunny day.

The rooms were small (but the staff makes very certain you're aware of this before you book), very clean and well maintained. It was nothing special, and definitely a tight squeeze, but if you want to hang out in your room on vacation then you shouldn't be looking at Sun n Sand in the first place - too much to do around you! We had one of the economically priced rooms in the original building - there was a full size bed, chair, armoire with a couple drawers, small closet, bathroom, mini fridge, tv, microwave and coffee maker (with complimentary coffee) and a BEAUTIFUL view of the back of the property/pond. They provide you with everything you need to make your visit as stress-free as possible - they've really gone the extra mile to anticipate the needs of their guests. Our AC went out one evening and the staff was extremely helpful and had it fixed in a matter of minutes.

Sun n Sand is very convenient to the local attractions, while still feeling secluded. There's a grocery store, drug store and gas station right down the road, which was very convenient. The price can't be beat for the service and the charm you get when staying here, and as long as you don't mind a small room and a short drive into town or the beach, this is the place for you!

Room Tip: If you stay in the original building, I recomment a room in the back...beautiful view of the pond, f...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LoriB1283
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Visited South Haven for a baby shower and stayed at the beautiful and relaxing Sun n Sand Resort. The decor was charming, bed comfy, and the staff were classy. Love these hidden jems of well-managed, well-run, historically charming retreats. Was too cold to enjoy the pool but enjoyed the in-room fireplace. I would stay again.

Room Tip: We had a "jack and jill room" was great for adult siblings traveling together.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Marie U
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Our company chose the Sun n' Sand Resort for our first conference.. We had close to 40 attend, from across the country and Australia. Gail and Frank worked closely with us to plan every detail, including suggesting wonderful places in the area to take the women while their husbands were in sessions.

Frank and his staff prepared several meals for us and it was very good!

The location is great -- easy and quick to get to the many attractions in the area.

From a room perfectly designed to go from hosting a reception to serving breakfast to holding our meetings to serving dinner -- to amazingly comfortable beds -- cleanliness and a gracious staff, all in all, we chose well.

Room Tip: Gail assisted me in assigning the rooms for our guests. I never had one complaint. I would suggest...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Sun 'n Sand is a simple, clean, and quaint place to stay. He enjoyed a week there in August 2012. Our trip was to visit South Haven which is about 2 miles to downtown and Lake Michigan from the hotel. We also visited Saugatuck/Douglas, which are about 10 miles away, a very quick and easy drive.

My wife and I stayed in the Beach House in room 101. It was everything we wanted in a moderately-priced room. Clean, comfortable bed, pleasant surroundings, courteous and helpful staff. It is nothing fancy, if you are looking for Ritz-style amenities you won't find them here. But at the price, it is more than satisfactory. The salt water pool was spotlessly clean and refreshing, with a nice area to sunbathe and patio tables to sit at.

Our room was strictly for two people, it would be difficult to accomodate more. They have larger rooms if needed.

Frank helped us with some eating options on the night we arrived and his recommendations were great. There was no dining at Sun 'n Sand.

To sum it up, it is not a "resort" to my way of thinking. It IS a nice room, clean, nice pool, with easy access to South Haven and Saugatuck. We would go there again without hesitation.

Room Tip: The Beach House 101 was great, it is the only one we saw, but I would assume whole beach house is ve...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2012

My parents and I stayed here for a few days during the week. They were on the first floor and we were on the second. My parents had no issues. We found out that they had a huge wedding party there right before we checked in so I think maybe they were rushed cleaning all the rooms. It looked like someone had used a beard trimmer in my bathroom and there was an empty case of beer left in the cupboard with the fridge. As soon as we let the front desk know it was taken care of immediately. They only complaint that I have is that we were there for three days any no one seemed to check the bathrooms at the pool. There was a small wastebasket in the bathrooms and they were overflowing. I am sure if I said something to the front desk it would have been taken care of but I didn't. There were a few beer cans left at the pool but I did not complain about that either. Having said that I would totally stay there again. It is a beautiful setting just outside of town and the rooms are what I expected after reading reviews...small but very nice. The bed was extremely comfortable. I enjoyed the atmosphere and quiet. It was a wonderful vacation. Maybe after a wedding they should have a few people help with the clean up but it was not that big of a deal :)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Holiday Inn Express South Haven
The Inn at Harbor Shores
The Inn at Harbor Shores
#2 of 6 in Saint Joseph

Been to Sun n Sand Resort? Share your experiences!