“An interesting stop”

Michigan Maritime Museum
Ranked #3 of 31 things to do in South Haven
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: We strive to preserve, interpret, and invite the public to experience and learn about our Great Lakes maritime heritage from our Museum in South Haven.
Reviewed December 30, 2013

My daughter and I were doing the standard Lake Michigan tourist town faire when I picked up a pamplet on this museum. We walked down to it and gave it a look. It was a little on the pricey side for 1 adult and a child, but that's fine. The main building has a lot of interesting information about the local history. The shed with the old Coart Guard boats was cool and my 9 year old liked it.

By far, the best part of the museum is their tall ship Friends Good Will. As a paying customer, we got to tour the ship. There were 3-4 people on board that talked to us about it and answered any questions we had. My daughter got to work the rudder and hear about how the cannon worked. She enjoyed it all adn I got some really good photos of her onboard. We even talked about going out on it next summer. I'm going to make plans to do just that.

My advice about going to the museum is to go when the ship is docked, so you can take a look.

1  Thank Frank D

Reviewed September 25, 2013

I was excited to stop here since our four-day trip was a shopping-fueled affair that left me exhausted. As soon as we entered the first room, however, I didn't feel like we should have stopped. The displays are good, neat old documents, firearms, and models of ships, but the museum is very reading-heavy. There is a kids' area, but I couldn't imagine bringing kids here.

Once outside, the most interesting part (for me) was the Coast Guard station with 3 old boats...but it didn't seem to be very informative. My wife enjoyed watching the boat rebuilding in the Boat Shack building.

Overall, this museum needs a major influx of time, money, volunteers, or all three to make it worth the admission price.

1  Thank Matt R
Reviewed September 7, 2013

THe Coast Guard boats were interesting. I exspecially liked going through old fishing boat. I had seen alot of them years ago but not on inside up close. That has to have been hard job.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

We visited the museum on the day their tall ship was heading to Chicago for the big Tall Ships Festival. So we didn't get to sail (maybe next time?) but we were able to watch the last minute preparations as it began its journey. It was fun to watch! The museum is small but has much information including a lot about the area's involvement in the War of 1812. There are also some adjoining buildings, boats, exhibits. We enjoyed our visit!

Reviewed August 11, 2013

We spent a rainy morning here. The museum's main exhibition is devoted to the War of 1812, giving a lot of information from a variety of perspectives. It's very text-heavy and not always where I wanted it. Labels with the texts of faded documents would have been helpful. There's an interactive room for kids; adults and kids can try their hands at knot tying. Outside are exhibits of Coast Guard rescue boats, and a coast guard vessel. The tall ship had departed the day before so we took a cruise on the Lindy Lou, which was a great way to see the river, the developments and learn more about the area's history.