“Interesting, if text-heavy”

Michigan Maritime Museum
Ranked #4 of 31 things to do in South Haven
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: We strive to preserve, interpret, and invite the public to experience and learn about our Great Lakes maritime heritage from our Museum in South Haven.
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We spent a rainy morning here. The museum's main exhibition is devoted to the War of 1812, giving a lot of information from a variety of perspectives. It's very text-heavy and not always where I wanted it. Labels with the texts of faded documents would have been helpful. There's an interactive room for kids; adults and kids can try their hands at knot tying. Outside are exhibits of Coast Guard rescue boats, and a coast guard vessel. The tall ship had departed the day before so we took a cruise on the Lindy Lou, which was a great way to see the river, the developments and learn more about the area's history.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

We took the Lindy Loo river cruise and enjoyed learning about the history of the area. There were only six of us on the cruise, which was nice, and they provided the children a scavenger hunt sheet to keep they involved. The only negative...when we got off and were leaving a young couple came in off the street and asked to use the washroom and were turned away. Come on! No one was there and what would it hurt to let two people use the restroom? I guess rules are rules, but that seemed heartless to us.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I have a smattering of opinions on this little museum. I got to South Haven in the midst of windstorm so I needed something to do indoors. The sign out front says "Open 10-8* Daily," or something very similar to that. Great! I thought. I walked up to the door at about 6:00 and the place had closed at 5. The truth is they aren't open from 10-8 daily and I guess a person driving by is supposed to be able to read the small print and realize that they are only open till 8 on the days in which there is a sunset cruise. So, I guess, if there is bad weather (or its a Tuesday) and you can't do anything outdoors you can't do the museum after 5 either. Seems like misleading signage at the very least.

I did go the next day. As a history teacher I thoroughly enjoyed the history. It was odd that there wasn't much attention paid to keeping the displays in a chronological order but the information presented was good. I would not recommend paying for the audio tour. It provides no additional information really.

The price is cheap for this museum and I was fortunate enough to be there when their cruise ship returned and a volunteer pulled out a Great Lakes map and walked a group through the general history of the Lakes during the War of 1812. This was a nice surprise.

One thing that a visitor might want to know is that outside of an old fishing vessel and several former Coast Guard vessels the museum doesn't do a lot with the "Michigan" part of the Michigan Maritime Museum. The main museum (which is limited by space) is really a museum about the War of 1812 on the Great Lakes.

I did not do a cruise so I have no comment on that. The boat, however, does look like a fun ride.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

This museum's biggest draw is it's Tall Ship, The Friends Good Will. It takes visitors on Lake Michigan during the day, dinner and a sunset cruise. They have excellent presentations of other Great Lakes rescue ships and exhibits which change regularly. It's a very good Museum and good way to spend an afternoon after a day at the beach.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

If you like Great Lakes History, this is well worth it. We spent only an hour here, but could have spent more. Staff was nice, location on the water with boats to ride on if it fits your schedule or just look at the boats they have on display.