“Best perch sandwich I ever had”
Review of Black River Tavern

Black River Tavern
Ranked #9 of 71 Restaurants in South Haven
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night
Description: 2 Great Bars...one Great Location! Overlooking Harbor And Lake Michigan! Daily Food & Drink Specials Outdoor Seating Available Featuring Live Music Weekends Professional Stand-up Comedy Featuring Nationally-touring Headlining Comedians Every Saturday Night! Voted "best Of 2014"... *bar Food *live Entertainment *beer Selection *specialty Drinks
Reviewed August 18, 2014

Wandered into The tavern last night and ended up staying for 3 hours. I had a wonderful perch sandwich and my son had perch tacos which he raved about.The server was top notch and always checking to see if we needed any thing. They had good beer at reasonable prices and to top it off it was karaoke night along with a 8 ball tournament . Not bad for a Sunday night.

Reviewed August 15, 2014

We visited the Black River Tavern during this years Blueberry Festival and had a very below average experience. The place was about half full but the service was slow. My wife ordered a beer that came out flat - yuk! We ordered the recommended crab cakes and Cajun shrimp and were disappointing. The crab cakes were very crunchy and appeared over cooked (way too brown) and the shrimp did not taste Cajun but more like rosemary shrimp and they were small (think 31-40 count). I can't recommend BRT except for the view of the lake and lighthouse from the front area of tables.

1  Thank James C
Reviewed August 11, 2014

We were in South Haven 2 days and ate at Black River Tavern twice. My husband loved the perch tacos and shared with me the first day. The second day he had perch tacos and I had crab cakes on a pretzel bun and they were also delicious. The cole slaw was crunchy and well seasoned. The servers were friendly and attentive
We will be back.

Reviewed August 4, 2014

Well, we thought this was just a bar. Then we had dinner! The ribs, crab cakes, fish and chips, and even my buffalo chicken salad was absolutely amazing. Go for a drink, but don't hesitate to stay for dinner. The food is delicious.....

Reviewed August 2, 2014

Some have said it is not suitable for children. I would agree as the inside is very much a bar. However, if you sit outside, very nice setting. Food was excellent!