“There is a place like home”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Old Harbor Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in South Haven
Old Harbor Inn
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in South Haven
Holland
“There is a place like home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2012

My husband and I stayed in a Harbor View room in the "off season". The prices were more reasonable than staying in downtown Saugatuck and had the same advantage to walk to bars and restaurants. The hotel as a whole is "older" but the room we stayed in was completely renovated! I have NEVER smelled a room that smelled so fresh. As a "neat freak" and "smell freak" this was a HUGE bonus. I usually bring my own blanket because hotel comforters are disgusting. The comforter on this bed was freshly washed and smelled like fabric softener (just like at home). Nice big king bed with sheets that had a high thread count, very soft and smelled fresh. Bed was very comfortable. The whole room, including bathroom was very clean. The balcony was small, but was fine. I would definately recommend this hotel. The staff are very friendly and if you call to make your reservation, instead of doing it on line you can talk them and tell them what you are looking for and they will put you in a nice room. We liked it so much-we are going back this weekend! The bar in the hotel (Yorks Landing) has entertainment on Saturday nites with $2 bottles of beer. We were there for 5 hours and our bill only came to $40. BONUS!!

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated room
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Julie T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Greenwood, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

Peaceful quiet retreat. We had a harbor view room, beautifully furnished and included mini fridge and microwave. Extremely clean too. Nearby --within walking distance are shops and restaurants, plus a movie theater. Small indoor pool and hot tub with adult only hours from 9-11pm. We went the weekend after Thanksgiving with another couple who had been before. The one minor inconvenience--temporary--is the the road in front of the property was torn up. We had to walk about a block, but were given 10% off our rate in compensation--without having to ask.

Room Tip: The harbor view was excellent.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kelsie05
Kalamazoo, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2011

Wow...I have never been so underwhelmed....we went on what was supposed to be a romantic weekend and paid megabucks for a dumpy room with torn upholstery down to the foam rubber, a balcony the size of a postage stamp and rude workers who acted put out. I would NOT recommend this place to anyone. The lady at the front desk acted very snotty when I could not find the room that was not even in the Old Harbor area. She was rude and unfriendly. We got soaked close to two hundred dollars for a room that should have been less than a hundred. Location is one thing but a complete RIP OFF is another! I have stayed at many places that were waterfront and this one was definitely the worst value of any. Go elsewhere and don't even think of having this be a special retreat. What a dump!!!!!

Room Tip: Avoid this place
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Kathleen W

Travelers are raving about these South Haven hotels

Defiance, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2011

My wife and I decided to stay in the Pomeroy building after talking to a co-worker. We actually enjoyed it quite well. It is small. Double bed in living room with a couch and small (but comfortable) recliner. There are no dressers for your clothes though. There are 3 small 2 drawer nightstands you could use. The bed was surprising comfortable. Nice bathroom and shower with good pressure. Bathroom sink is outside of bathroom in the kitchenette. Has coffe maker, and couple cups. No dishes or glasses or silverware. Take your own. Has nice deck overlooking the river and drawbridge. Downtown about a 5 minute walk. Only drawback was cars going over the drawbridge. You'd get a thump-thump, then a rumble. Not real load, and quited down around 10 or so when there wasn't much traffic. Starts again around 8 or so.
All in all, we enjoyed it. They kept us supplied with plenty of towels. And you do have your own parking/lean-to right by the front door.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kandvr
Starkville, MS
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

My husband and I were invited to attend a business retreat and the company had selected South Haven, MI as their resort destination and the Old Harbor Inn was the resort of choice. The village is very charming and the people are extremely friendly. However, thanks to Trip Advisor, I was kind of aware of what to expect upon arrival...the hotel probably was the No. 1 Choice back in the late 50's and early 60's...it backs up to the channel and the harbor atmosphere is fantastic. The inn is in need of renovations. It has that 'OLD' smell about it, the floors make noises when you walk on them...got window units for air conditioning and heating, no two lampshades match and the list could go on and on...the beds are extremely soft and I'm not a personal fan of soft beds...rooms are surprisingly rather quite considering the age of the inn. The noise factor from the street activities was OK unit the weekend and people were enjoying themselves way too much in the local bars located directly under the rooms. SO, you get up and turn the AC fan feature on and it does a good job of drowning out the noise.

The staff was very friendly and extremely helpful, restaurants in walking distance of the inn were excellent...AND if you enjoy a good glass of wine to cap off a nice day, there is a wine bar there in the inn itself...not run by the inn, but a couple that take pride in serving good wines and a wonderful short list of sandwiches and a few 'made in house' appetizers. The name of the wine bar is the Channel and I highly recommend it...plus if you are interested in doing some wine tasting...they can recommend some really nice wineries and vineyards to visit (the Lemon Creek Winery, Domaine Berrian, Tabor Hill (this is the place to have a really nice experience at lunch time!), the Round Barn to name just a few).

All in all, I would give the Old Harbor Inn a B+ for its efforts in making their guest comfortable!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank Donnas
Livonia, MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2011

Yes this hotel is expensive. Is the room worth that price? Not if you just look at the room itself. The fabric on the chairs were ripping, the bathroom wasn't very nice. But was the room worth it for the price AND the location. Absolutely.

When I rented the room, I did it based on the reviews. I knew it would be loud (but the AC drowns it out when on) and I knew the deck wouldn't be fabulous. That was okay, I was more interested in the location. My husband and I stayed with our 3 month old and she wasn't fully woken up by the noise, the only time that was close to happening was because there was a bachelor party next door to us. The next morning my husband went to that room (we were in 8, they were in 7) and offered to swap rooms with the other guys they were (they had three rooms total), and instead they offered to party elsewhere, so it all worked out. Do I wish it was quieter? Yes. But oh well.

If you want to be downtown and can't get a house for just a weekend, this is the spot. You can literally walk everywhere. There are restaurants right there, so every morning we walked downstairs and got a coffee before heading off to breakfast.

The kitchenette was small, but really useful for us with a three month old. I was breastfeeding, so I could pump and store the milk as well as have a sink to wash the bottles (bring your own dish soap though).

Bathroom was a weird set up, sprayed water everywhere when you showered, only a problem when I had a shirt in there on the floor and my husband showered and it got soaked.

for 7 and 8, you have to walk up stairs, so if you have a stroller (like we did) and all the baggage that comes with a baby, you may want to not book those. We didn't mind the climb though.

The room had a blow up air mattress and a king size bed, so you could squeeze extra people in there (which seemed common, since this appeared to be the party hotel). We brought our own portable crib.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2011

My husband and I wanted a room with a deck overlooking the river. I even specifically said that when I called for the reservation. What we got was a room with a step-out balcony, able to accommodate 2 chairs only if they faced each other. We couldn't even open both sides of the french doors leading to the balcony. We also reserved room 12 and were told it was "having some work done but all it needed was the new bed to be complete". When we checked in 2 weeks later we were switched to room 6 because room 12 was not yet done. We were directly over The Idler Riverboat Restaurant, which I had also requested not to be! The room was clean, big and bright and had great views from every window. The bed was comfortable and the pillows were fabulous. The futon, however, was like a torture device after sitting on it for about 10 minutes.
The second day of our stay we went out early and returned to the room just before lunch to find our door open! We thought the maid was in the room cleaning but when we went in, no one was there! After checking our stuff (good thing we didn't leave anything much in the room!) to make sure nothing was missing, we tried to call the front desk to report the incident, but after several unanswered calls, we gave up. It looked like the maid had been in the room (all the dirty towels were gone and a can of scrubbing bubbles was on the sink) so we decided to go for lunch and give her a chance to finish. When we returned the room still had not been cleaned and no towels were delivered. We had to go to the front desk (still no answer to calls) and pick up the towels and report what had happened.
The Old Harbor Inn is definitely right in the middle of everything to see and do in South Haven but I expected a lot more than I got for the money I spent. I would not reccommend this hotel to friends and family visiting South Haven in the future.

Room Tip: middle level rooms have bigger decks, but they are also accessible by the public.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
#8 of 11 in South Haven
The Inn at Harbor Shores
The Inn at Harbor Shores
#2 of 6 in Saint Joseph

Been to Old Harbor Inn? Share your experiences!