“Cozy weekend away!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in South Haven
Carriage House at the Harbor
Ranked #3 of 16 South Haven B&B and Inns
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Cozy weekend away!”
Reviewed May 6, 2014

My husband and I spent the weekend at Carriage House for our first anniversary and it was just what we needed to get away from the stress of daily life. We stayed in the Dorsay Room, which was adorable, clean and cozy. The only thing to keep in mind with this room is it is not the best for tall people. The Carriage House states this on their site, but I must have missed it. My husband who is 6'3" bumped his head a couple times, so if you're tall, book a different room. :)

Breakfast was delicious as was the coffee. I felt comfortable and welcomed during our stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Emily B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Washington DC & San Diego CA
Reviewed April 25, 2014

This B&B is just lovely, decorated very tastefully (but with not too much bric-a-brac, which overwhelms some B&Bs). It was perfectly maintained--an amazing feat given the harsh winter! It is the only B&B in South Haven that is right on the water, and the views are lovely. The best in-room harbor view is the Phateon room since it has a large window. Other rooms have nice views but mostly from the patio, which doesn't do one much good in winter! (Avoid the Troika unless you like soft beds.) Winter is a real deal, because all rooms are $140, and all of them have super little gas fireplaces that really keep the room warm! Sitting in front of the window with the fireplace on and drinking a glass of wine is super-relaxing.

The breakfasts are fantastic, one of the best I've ever had at a B&B. The owner (Suzanne) couldn't be lovelier or more helfpful. As would be expected in a B&B of this caliber, everything is scrupulously clean and the bathrooms are very well-appointed. The only slight negative is that the internet connectivity was very poor.

Caution, this B&B has a lot of stairs so is not handicapped-friendly. If you have heavy suitcases, pick a room on the second floor!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank roeslers
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Reviewed March 9, 2014

This last fall we decided to take a color tour over to the west side of the state and we couldn't have picked a better place to stay. A beautiful well cared for home with a history, friendly personnel, great accommodations, reasonably priced and they serve delicious breakfasts. Perfectly located in South Haven just a 5 minute walk to the beach for a viewing of the sunset and a scenic 10 minute walk to downtown along the harbor or thru the park. Just a 25 minute drive north to Saugatuck and 25 minute drive south to St. Joseph. We shopped in South Haven the day we arrived. Discovered a great little book store there, Black River Books. The next day drove south down the Lake Michigan Circle Tour shoreline to St. Joseph, walked around and shopped there for several hours. Drove back on the same route and went to Clementine's in downtown South Haven for dinner. You will most likely have to wait a little bit at Clementine's, less than a half hour for us, but it is well worth it. Fantastic food. Amy and I had perch one night and walleye the next. They do fish right so you know the rest of the menu is good too. After we checked out of the Carriage House on the way home we stopped in Saugatuck and spent a few hours walking around there, checking out the shops and then drove 10 minutes to Fennville to Crane's Orchards. Bought a couple pies, blueberry preserves, apple muffins and home-baked bread. It was a perfect vacation, but I've got to tell you about my scone experience at the Carriage House. Amy my wife loves scones with her morning coffee. I've never liked them. Tried a small piece of one once a long time ago, too dry and tasteless, so never had one since. But at the Carriage House they are served with breakfast and since we were on vacation I thought I'd give them a try again. Amazing! So good! The first morning they were lemon flavored. The second day, vanilla. The hostess of Carriage House (also an Amy) told me I am no longer a scone virgin. She's absolutely right. I'm hooked on theirs. Amy had a two left over one morning and packed them to-go for me. I took them home and split them into quarters so the kids and in-laws could experience what I was raving about. Everyone agreed with me and wished we had a dozen more.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Brian426
Woodville, Ohio
Reviewed February 9, 2014

My wife and I visited again after enjoying our visit the year before. Both times were in February since we were interested in taking advantage of the lake effect snow presented in this area. It is a slower pace than in the summer. We enjoy cross country skiing and snow shoeing and did so on the Kal-Haven trail which has the trail head in South Haven. We enjoyed the fabulous breakfasts provided before going out for the day and the warm fireplace in our room when we returned. The house is beautiful with many rooms from which to choose We stayed in a different room the second trip, but both were great with a view of the harbor. It is very pretty in winter. There are plenty of cozy corners to sit and read or relax with a glass of wine or indulge in one of Amy's fantastic cookies. On our most recent trip we met the owner, Suzanne, who was very personable and gave us the history of the house. Amy is the Inn Keeper. She is pleasant, provides useful information, and has a good sense of humor. We thoroughly enjoyed both of our visits.

Room Tip: We like the rooms with a harbor view. I would choose a room with a balcony for a non winter stay.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bogeyjds
South Bend, Indiana
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Friends gave us a gift certificate to the Carriage House a few years ago, and because of busy schedules we didn't end up using it until January. Ever since, I've wanted to do it again and we went in December for our anniversary. The inn overlooks the harbor and our room had a little balcony which was not too useable in December, but still nice to have. We stayed in the White Chapel this time and the Barouche the time before. Both charming, but we liked the Barouche a little better--off away from everyone else and so cozy! Breakfast was good, but nothing outstanding and the menu had not changed in three years. Consider a winter stay. It has a charm of its own and about half the price of high season. I would recommend the Carriage House over Yelton Manor down the road based on personal experience.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank picnictree
Michigan
Reviewed December 29, 2013

An Anniversary Gift from out children brought my husband and I to the Carriage House on December 28.The place is beautiful. Each room is named after a carriage. We stayed in The Brett Room. Our room overlooked the harbor from the 3rd floor.
The inn room Jacuzzi was awesome. The gas fireplace made it seem so cozy. Towels were plush and the room immaculate. It even had a small lit Christmas tree next to the bed. The 4 poster bed was comfortable too.
Amy was our host and made us feel very welcome. Breakfast is served at 9 am in a room that also overlooks the harbor. We saw ducks swimming between the ice flows. Coffee was available at 7:30 am and was piping hot and delicious. Our breakfast of cream brulee' French toast with hot syrup, fresh fruit, lemon scone, fried potatoes,sausage and juice was perfect.
We would recommend a visit here.

Room Tip: Off season rates a plus!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 30, 2013

My wife and I visited South Haven for a short weekend getaway from Chicago. We found the Carriage House to be very nicely appointed and our room was spacious with a nice balcony that had a view of the harbor. The breakfast was good, but inflexible in terms of when it is served, be there on time or miss it. The inn is conveniently located and is a short walk to many of the shops and restaurants in town as well as the lake. When we return to South Haven we will very likely stay at the Carriage House again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
#8 of 11 in South Haven
The Inn at Harbor Shores
The Inn at Harbor Shores
#2 of 6 in Saint Joseph

Been to Carriage House at the Harbor? Share your experiences!