“Absolutely wonderful!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in South Haven
Carriage House at the Harbor
Ranked #5 of 16 South Haven B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 15, 2008

This was the first time my husband & I have stayed at a B&B, and it won't be the last, thanks to Suzanne, David, & their fabulous staff! Everything was absolutely wonderful from the warm greeting & tour by David the moment we arrived to the goodbye hugs we shared with David & Suzanne when we left. Always had a hot, delicious & satisfying breakfast at 9AM, yummy snacks during the day & great
hors d'oeuvres at 5PM! The view of the harbor & downtown South Haven was great from the dining room as well from our room, the Dorsay. It was just a quick walk across the street to the beach & a 10-15 min. walk to restaurants/shops in downtown. David & Suzanne always had wonderful suggestions of where to eat, shop or visit in South Haven or nearby towns. Or if you happened to catch a rainy day, as we did, you can always pick a movie from their DVD library or a board game!
My husband & I had a fabulous time at the Carriage House. When we come back to South Haven, we will only stay at the Carriage House at the Harbor!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed September 9, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Carriage House Inn for just one night of a cross-country road trip and wished we could have stayed for a week! The inn itself is comfortable and cozy, yet big enough so as not to feel crowded. South Haven is adorable, filled with unique restaurants and a hometown feel. The harbor and beach are walking distance and the homemade breakfast devine. Our had a firm queen size bed and a perfect little balcony that overlooked the harbor. What more could you want?! If there was anything missing, the owners, Suzanne and David were sure to have the answers. They know all the best spots for dinner, when you should call ahead, where to go to watch the sunset and can give a historical talk on the town if your interested. This truly is an ideal get away spot, both for relaxation and exploration. I can't wait for my next trip there this winter!

Reviewed August 25, 2008

Hi Future Guests at the Carriage House!

My fiance and I have been staying at the Carriage House for over 4 years now (our favorite room is The Dorsay), and we have never had such a romantic and relaxing vacation together as we did here in South Haven.

The Carriage House is immaculate and well kept, the gourmet breakfast and food is delicious beyond words, and the owners are wonderful people who care about each individual guests' needs and wants. The rooms are PRIVATE, romantic, and have everything you need to have a perfect stay (fireplace, balcony, own bathroom, bath robes, etc). The beach is 1 block away, and the house is secured with keypad locks so your safety is guaranteed. Downtown shops are only a 15min walk (driving in South Haven is not necessary!)

I am at a loss for words when I tell others how WONDERFUL and ROMANTIC the Carriage House is - PLEASE TREAT YOURSELF!! You'll have the memories forever...

Christy Johnson
West Lafayette, IN

Reviewed August 11, 2008

We stayed at the Carriage House recently for a weekend. We love South Haven and go there frequently, but this was our first stay at this bed and breakfast. The house itself is stunning with a gorgeous view of the marina. We stayed in the Whitechapel room, which I highly recommend. It is roomy, beautifully decorated, and boasts a balcony overlooking the marina, as well as a large bathroom with whirlpool tub and a separate shower. There is also a fireplace and a large, very comfortable king bed. We found the food to be delicious and plentiful. The hosts are gracious and kind, and we enjoyed listening to Suzanne give us some of the history of the house and the town! It truly is a short walk to downtown South Haven shops and restauarants. We made this trip several times a day, and I can assure anyone that it doesn't take as long as reported in a previous review, unless you are walking very slowly! We would definitely stay at the Carriage House again!

Reviewed July 24, 2008

After reading all the reviews from this site I decided to call and book a two night stay. While I can agree that the house is lovely..its all a bit on the surface..antiques that are fakes or dont work, lace that dosn't match (on the bed canopy) barely adequate a/c (and the weather was rather mild) carpets clean but not where furniture stands. Yes I am being hyper critical and the location is perfect. But when you consider the cost (ours was $260 a night plus taxes and tips to room attendants) and the size of the room, there are bigger bangs for your bucks elsewhere. The mattress is definitely in need of changing..it felt more like a dugout canoe. Perhaps "Sleep Numbers" are more fitting.

Yes David and Susanne are warm and friendly, but most folks are. The extra mile would have been if while showing me the room David had asked to help carry something that my wife was carrying, or shown us how to work the jaquzi or the point out the instructions for the TV. The room was (Barouche) also not handicap accessible, the toilet way too low, the room way too cramped. Even getting into the Jaquzi for me was very difficult. Wallpaper over the jaquzi was peeling but on the whole the room was well maintained. Banisters are a bit shaky for persons of size with knee injuries and the railings on the attached deck were lightweight vinyl types that flex easily.

Breakfasts were average with single portions served rather than "homestyle" or buffet. There were no seconds offered (they may have been available..I don't know as it was never mentioned). Coffee / orange juice is initially take by yourself from a cramped "butlers kitchen" with a single door access for the kitchen staff and guests where there isn't room for a person to pass. That an accident didn't happen is due to over-polite guests getting out of the way. David and Susanne make sure you have all the coffee you want but on both days I had to ask for orange juice as it was all gone (I arrived BEFORE 9 am both days). I had a dietary restriction and it was accommodated.

My final comment is regarding the physical size of the home and number of guests. Its really too large to be a bed and breakfast in the strictest of terms and David agrees it's more along the lines of an inn. Some of the warmth of sitting together as a group or two is gone with most tables set for two people in several distinct dining areas (outside on the patio, inside in a fresh air area with wicker and inside with somewhat uncomfortable wood chairs ( I am a bit too large for the chairs with arms, there were no other chairs available).

Regardless of the criticism you've just read, we had a good time and the location right next to the boat harbor is a wonderful setting. David and Susanne were good hosts and would answer any question asked. David ..its more than 8-15 minutes walk into town..more like 20-30.

About South Haven itself...quaint little lakeshore town full of tourists in the daytime and early evening. Tello's, Vineyard, and Clementines are good restaurants (expect to wait 30 minutes or more to be seated), but there are the old standbys too: Pizza Hut, McD's and DQ etc. Wednesday morning is a farmers market day. Antique shops are run of the mill. We felt two days was enough to see and do most everything offered.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Daeron
Reviewed July 16, 2008

My wife and I stay at this beautiful B&B approximately 3 times a year. It rests on a hill next to, and overlooking the South Haven Harbor. It is a short walk (1 block) to a really nice beach.
You can literally walk from the Inn to town with all their interesting shops and great restaurants. Or walk along the beach, out on the piers. There is plenty to do, or . . . more so (for me) a wonderful place to relax and just "be". The breakfasts at the Inn are fantastic. It puts other B&B's to shame. Likewise the evening appetizers would temp one to skip any plans for going out to dinner (although we always look forward to walking to one of the nice restaurants in town). There has only been improvement to the quality and service over the years we have been staying there. The husband and wife owners are entirely involved with every aspect of the operation and are genuine and nice people. The Inn is clean, quaint, beautiful and very interesting.
A little pricey maybe, but worth it.
I would advise anyone to book a stay way in advance because even though it feels like 'the best kept secrect" while your there . . . the secret has gotten out somewhat and the reservations can be a year out.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2008

We had never stayed in South Haven before, and decided to try it as a venue for a family reunion. We couldn't have been more pleased with the house, the rooms, the staff, the food, and the overall ambiance. David and Suzanne did an excellent job of making us feel at home; so much so that we have already booked for next year!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)