“Paradise in the Park” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 16 South Haven B&B and Inns
Portage, Michigan
“Paradise in the Park”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

You will not be disappointed with your stay at the Inn. From the moment we arrived we were treated like family by Carol Ann and the food and accommodates are outstanding! Perfect location, and definitely will be scheduling a return visit with our family for next year.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2011

We are utterly baffled by the attitude and lack of professionalism when even attempting to make a reseveration with The Inn at the Park Bed and Breakfast. The owner Carol Ann was extremely rude to us in regards to making a reservation when she learned that we would be using a Living Social coupon. She tried to tell us that the fine print stated rules that it did not. She appears to be very bothered by us "Living Social users", although she is the owner of the Bed and Breakfast and set up the deal with Living Social. There were several phone conversations within the course of a few hours, just in attempt to make a reservation in between her very rude and snooty attitdue. We were even told that the issue was "merely a business decision in the best interest of the full paying customers." In the end, we were told that we were not allowed to make a reservation with the Inn at the Park based on questioning such rudeness and our confusion of why from the beginning we were given such attitude and discrimination. Utterly in awe of such poor service and lack of professionalism. Our recommendation - DO NOT even bother with this place!!

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Jordan F
Royal Oak, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2011

We found this gem through a recent Living Social deal and didn't quite know what to expect. We were very pleased with the B&B! Carol Ann greeted us warmly and showed us around. She then retreated to let us create our own experience. The Inn was quiet, even though it was full and there are many places and spaces to explore. Breakfast each morning was delicious and creative. We would definately return.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Nballantyne
Kalamazoo, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2011

This was a wonderful place to stay - enjoyable from the moment we arrived. The accommodations were beautiful, the food was great and the owners and staff were very helpful and fun-loving. The location was great - a short walk to the beach, river and quaint shops/restaurants. Would love to visit again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank magree250
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2011

This was my first bed and breakfast experience. First, I found a great special on living social. Prior to my trip, Carol contacted me via email and we spoke on phone to finalize the finishing touch. Upon our arrival, we were greeted with the fresh aroma of brownies and a vibrant hostess, Carol. Each morning we were presented with an elegant and fulfilling breakfast along with a bubbly staff. In addition, there was always baked homemade goodies. Hint: I suggested that she open up a bakery on site. In regards to the room, the magnolia was the perfect get away for us. Clean, modern, comfortable, and spacious. My hubby and plan to return in July.

• Stayed April 2011
2 Thank phenomenalm
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2011

Gracious hostess, lovely rooms, delicious food. A++

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Southeast, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2010

My husband and I stayed there over a long weekend, our first time in South Haven, and loved the location of the B&B. It's just 1 block away from the lake and 2-3 blocks away from the downtown area. We could walk to everything - our car did not leave the B&B parking lot. We stayed in the Hawthorn room, which we chose because it was the only room with a balcony. The room was nice, cozy and clean, but not necessarily high end for the price we paid, however the balcony did make up for that as we made very good use of it. As for the poor customer service, it started with my first call asking about the place. I got the feeling I was inconveniencing them with all my questions, and almost decided against them, but in the end chose them based on location and accommodations. Breakfast was ok - they served quiche both days. The thing that really made me feel unwelcome was when I wanted to use the Tassimo coffee maker that they provide in the bar area. They brew regular coffee in the morning, but I wanted flavored coffee. The first morning when I asked to use it, the response was, "do you have to have it?". They reluctantly let me use it. Then the next morning when I used it, I was given funny looks by the staff, then I was referred to as the "special coffee lady" at breakfast. I was given no reason whey they didn't want the coffee machine used. It may seem like a small thing, but that made me feel very uncomfortable, and I will not stay there again. I want to stay somewhere that is accommodating with a polite staff that makes you feel welcome. The only reason I rated the service "poor" instead of "terrible" is because the woman that checked us in and gave us a tour was polite and professional and wasn't one of the staff that gave me grief over the coffee machine.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank SpCoffeeLady
, Owner at Inn at the Park Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, February 3, 2011
SpCoffeLady,
I am so sorry that you were made to feel uncomfortable. If it was me who made you feel this way, I sincerely apologize. We work SO very hard to make everyone's stay here as perfect as possible and have very few complaints.All of our amenities are available ALL of the time so there is absolutely NO reason why you wouldn't be able to have flavored coffee. If you come and stay again, please let me know so we can make sure to meet all of your needs.

I read that you will never come back again, but certainly whatever business you are in, you would ask for a chance to make things right, wouldn't you? So are we. Our business is hospitality and want to live up to the highest standard. Maybe you could give us a second chance.
Also consider these accommodations in or near South Haven
#8 of 11 in South Haven
The Inn at Harbor Shores
The Inn at Harbor Shores
#2 of 6 in Saint Joseph

Been to Inn at the Park Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!