“Great place to stay”

Inn at the Park Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 16 South Haven B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 29, 2011

This was a wonderful place to stay - enjoyable from the moment we arrived. The accommodations were beautiful, the food was great and the owners and staff were very helpful and fun-loving. The location was great - a short walk to the beach, river and quaint shops/restaurants. Would love to visit again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank magree250

Reviewed April 25, 2011

This was my first bed and breakfast experience. First, I found a great special on living social. Prior to my trip, Carol contacted me via email and we spoke on phone to finalize the finishing touch. Upon our arrival, we were greeted with the fresh aroma of brownies and a vibrant hostess, Carol. Each morning we were presented with an elegant and fulfilling breakfast along with a bubbly staff. In addition, there was always baked homemade goodies. Hint: I suggested that she open up a bakery on site. In regards to the room, the magnolia was the perfect get away for us. Clean, modern, comfortable, and spacious. My hubby and plan to return in July.

• Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank phenomenalm
Reviewed February 1, 2011

Gracious hostess, lovely rooms, delicious food. A++

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 23, 2010

My husband and I stayed there over a long weekend, our first time in South Haven, and loved the location of the B&B. It's just 1 block away from the lake and 2-3 blocks away from the downtown area. We could walk to everything - our car did not leave the B&B parking lot. We stayed in the Hawthorn room, which we chose because it was the only room with a balcony. The room was nice, cozy and clean, but not necessarily high end for the price we paid, however the balcony did make up for that as we made very good use of it. As for the poor customer service, it started with my first call asking about the place. I got the feeling I was inconveniencing them with all my questions, and almost decided against them, but in the end chose them based on location and accommodations. Breakfast was ok - they served quiche both days. The thing that really made me feel unwelcome was when I wanted to use the Tassimo coffee maker that they provide in the bar area. They brew regular coffee in the morning, but I wanted flavored coffee. The first morning when I asked to use it, the response was, "do you have to have it?". They reluctantly let me use it. Then the next morning when I used it, I was given funny looks by the staff, then I was referred to as the "special coffee lady" at breakfast. I was given no reason whey they didn't want the coffee machine used. It may seem like a small thing, but that made me feel very uncomfortable, and I will not stay there again. I want to stay somewhere that is accommodating with a polite staff that makes you feel welcome. The only reason I rated the service "poor" instead of "terrible" is because the woman that checked us in and gave us a tour was polite and professional and wasn't one of the staff that gave me grief over the coffee machine.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SpCoffeeLady
Management response:Responded February 3, 2011

SpCoffeLady,
I am so sorry that you were made to feel uncomfortable. If it was me who made you feel this way, I sincerely apologize. We work SO very hard to make everyone's stay here as perfect as possible and have very few complaints.All of our amenities are available ALL of the time so there is absolutely NO reason why you wouldn't be able to have flavored coffee. If you come and stay again, please let me know so we can make sure to meet all of your needs.

I read that you will never come back again, but certainly whatever business you are in, you would ask for a chance to make things right, wouldn't you? So are we. Our business is hospitality and want to live up to the highest standard. Maybe you could give us a second chance.

Reviewed June 3, 2010

Stayed at the Inn at the Park for three nights over Memorial Day Weekend to celebrate our wedding anniversity. Simply up and beyond enjoyment! Carol Ann & Jerry are kind, warm & do what it takes to make your stay all and more than what you expect. They take great pride in the inn & that is apparent throughout: upscale, clean, neat, warm, relaxing, inviting & breakfast is wonderful. This delightful inn is a charming way to spend one or more nights to relax, enjoy that special person in your life & to get away for enjoyment. It is in a prime location: half a block from the harbor, across the street from a park, a block from the lake and a couple of blocks from downtown. We are looking forward to a return visit in the future. Carol Ann & Jerry - thank you for your hospitality and sharing your lovely inn with us.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank petfriendly
Reviewed May 16, 2010

We recently had a fine experience at the Inn at the Park. We have stayed at a large number of B&B's across the nation, and this one ranks with the best. The breakfast was served in a cozy setting that invited conversation with other guests. We were made to feel at home, so we lingered when finished with the meal.

We like a breakfast that is varied and flavourful. Some B&B's try too hard to impress you with their culinary prowess, to the point that the course's are a little too adventureous with strange flavors and textures. We have frequented the best B&B's over the years, and we have a large number to compare with. Since we stayed for 4 days, we quickly came to expect an excellent execution of flavorful dishes, with each item done perfectly, with no duds. Neither my wife or I eat much breakfast normally, but I, in particular, became a member of the clean plate club during our stay, and my wife agreed with me, that it was the best B&B dining experience we had in recent memory.

Since we stayed in a slightly unusual setting, a small attached condo, it may be hard to equate to the experience of other guests. But we elected to stay for 4 days, because the weather was unseasonably cold and rainy, and we wanted roomy accommodations. The condo was clean, with a perfect bed, two great sofas and a large flat screen TV. Nice stove and refrigerator, and the bathroom was ample. It also had a good washer and dryer. Free wireless internet, and in general we were quite comfortable.

The location is a few minutes walking distance from the beach, and I dodged the rain, and managed two extended fast walking excursions on the beach for exercise.

We stayed at another very highly rated B&B on this trip, but honestly, the Inn at the Park was much better in all respects.

This is an unsolicited comment. I don't do this much, although we travel a fair amount. But the experience was unusual, and the hosts were friendly. It's nice to be able to say something good about service and people for a change.

Jim

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 29, 2010

Stayed with Carol-Anne & Jerry third week of March and were immediately welcomed! Carol-Anne is well-versed in l'art de recevoir!

I arrived with my partner for a relaxing long weekend hoping to explore South Haven and it's environs, including wineries just south in Berrien Springs and Baroda. I was concerned that we would not arrive at a proper hour: arriving after 9:00 pm, yet Carol-Anne quickly reassured me that a note would await our late arrival with instructions on how to enter, information about the property and a key placed in our room. She also prompted us explore several other suites that were available that night and weekend for an additional few dollars. I welcomed the upgrade, but in the end we declined.

The room (Willow) was as I expected, well-appointed, secluded in a corner of the home on the second floor away from potential guest traffic. The bed was comfortable; fireplace was simple to work and jacuzzi provided a gentle closing to one evening.

Several highlights and features perhaps not mentioned on the website:

1. This property is located within ten minutes walking to the centre of the town.

2. The Depot, a well-established wine and spirits purveyor just two blocks away offers a good selection of Michigan and local wines!

3. Bicycles may be offered during warmer months! Speak with Carol-Anne directly!

4. If you fancy a film at the cinema, ask Carol-Anne for her popcorn bucket. The deal: $5.50 is the price per ticket to a film and this includes a bucket of popcorn and a soft drink!

5. The inn provides an honour-system public fridge to house one's left-overs and such and provides a few sodas ($ 1.00).

6. Their website proclaims a gourmet breakfast and indeed it is! I couldn't believe each serving of fruit salad included fruit which was perhaps not in season, though ripe and delicious! Carol-Anne and Jerry ensured that one's coffee was always fresh and hot and provided conversation making one feel like a member of the family!

Again, although we visited during the off-season in South Haven, I certainly plan to return and to stay at the Inn! While we didn't explore the multiple common areas: pub (where complimentary hors d'oeuvres are offered), salon and game-room I look forward to the next séjour!

Again, I reiterate the welcoming level of service and hospitality for myself and my same-sex partner!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
#5 of 11 in South Haven
The Inn at Harbor Shores
The Inn at Harbor Shores
#2 of 6 in Saint Joseph

Been to Inn at the Park Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!