“Ovrepriced and definitely not "luxury"”

Lake Bluff Inn and Suites
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in South Haven
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Upon checking in, I realized that I didn't get the room I thought I booked. I booked a king room with a jacuzzi and a fireplace and received a king with two bedrooms. I went to the front desk to explain the situation and the front dresk associated said I could either release the room for a $25 fee and if they were able to rebook it I wouldn't get charged ($269/night); I could see if someone with a queen size room and fireplace wanted to trade; or, I could get $100 off the room. I asked for a full refund with a $25 fee and the associate said that wasn't an option. I asked to speak to the manager and was told the manager was on the phone with her husband who was sick. I said I would wait and waited 20 minutes to speak to the manager who never showed. The front desk associate reiterated my options and asked if I would like the manager to give me a call. I provided my phone number and said if it was possible to switch to the queen sized room, I would. Of course, the manager never called but I did get a call from the front desk associate saying we had been switched. (still at the same price of $269/night). The room was outdated and didn't have any instruction/information for pool hours, where to get ice, how to operate the fire place, etc. Additionally, there wasn't a phone in the room to call anyone for assistance.
The next day, I was switched to a standard king size room. The first thing I noticed was used toilet paper on the bathroom floor. There was no soap in the dispenser and the mini fridge was not working. At 1:00a.m. we heard a rattle at the door and the person kept trying to get in. I answered the door and a couple apologized. They had been given the same room key! Had the bolt not been locked they would've come right in. In the morning, I made the front desk associate aware of the situation. There was no apology, instead she blamed me saying we got the wrong room! And, stated that everything was okay. I think she missed the point that the wrong was double booked.
Aside from all the problems we experienced, I still wouldn't consider this a luxury resory- Most rooms do not have a great view, the rooms are outdated, the complimentary morning buffet is all muffins and doughnuts, and the customer service is horrible.
I tried calling today to speak with a manager about the experience and was given the run around. For the price, there are a lot nicer facilities out there.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Justin S

Reviewed December 2, 2013

A very good value for the area. We have stayed here at least a dozen times with family and friends. If your comfortable with rustic (dated) feel choose the less expensive rooms, it you need modern and shiny you have to rent higher priced room. The suites are great for up to 6 people and come with small kitchens.
On the property you can swim in small outdoor pool, enjoy the open spaces, grills and tables outside each room. Beautiful sunsets from the lawn or sunset deck!
Just down the street from down town and public beach.

And yeas the owner is crabby but she takes pride in her property. She also puts out a great breakfast with homemade treats.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank mayamae
Reviewed November 4, 2013

This place is absolutely awful. Don't get me wrong, the view of the lake is great and the place has potential, but I had a terrible experience here. My wife and I got married here and were treated terrible. Every time we called to ask questions, nobody had any idea how to help. When we actually got the owners, they were extremely rude. Once we were actually there, we couldn't check in until 2 hours after our scheduled check in time. During our wedding they had the audacity to get on the speaker system and tell everyone that they had to move their cars or they would get towed. We had to rent out a certain number of rooms (which was expected), but we didn't get them all rented. We told them that if anybody came by and wanted them, to please give them the rooms so we wouldn't be charged. I had several people tell me they saw people come and request rooms (it was supposed to be full besides ours) and the front desk gave them a room. When the time came to pay, they claimed nobody took our rooms. Several other's told me about not having air conditioning in their rooms and that there was mold everywhere. To top everything off, my mother accidentally left an entire dresser full of clothes in her room. She called the front desk on the same day she checked out and they claimed they didn't find anything. She repeatedly called back with no luck. She finally called one more time telling the owner that she was going to file a police report about the stolen clothes. The owner told her "do what you got to do" and hung up on her. Then, about 10 minutes later someone called her and said they had found her clothes... it was around 10 days later. It was just an overall bad experience and the owners are extremely rude.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Kasey M
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Nice setting for a wedding with Lake Michigan in the background. Spacious rooms with convenient access to South Haven. Rooms could have been a bit cleaner but were fully
stocked with kitchen utensils. Friendly staff and gorgeous grounds. Nice variety of rooms as well. We stayed in a 2 bedroom unit with patio looking out at Lake Michigan, charcoal grills
and picnic tables for each room. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 23, 2013

My Husband and and I came for 2 days to celebrate our 30th Wedding Anniversary. When we drove up to the Inn we were both pleasantly surprised. It looked amazing. We received our key. When we went into our suite we were not impressed. Very small. We went ahead and got the King Size bed with jacuzzi in room. Also, requesting that our room look at the Lake. One little round table with 2 chairs that were placed by the wall thermostat. There was absolutely no room to place the chairs and table anywhere else. The bathroom was so small that you had to get in and shut the door if you used the toilet. There was no way that anymore than 1 person could be in there. Thankfully there was a sink and a mirrow outside of the bathroom. I asked if there was a kitchenette and was advised yes. The kitchenette was a small refrigerator and a microwave on the top. That was placed right by door into the suite. The television remote did not work well. I replaced the batteries and that did not help. When we arrived at the suite we had 2 bath towels, 1 hand towel and 1 wash cloth. There was a coffee pot on top of the dresser that only had 1 coffee pack in, no cream and the sugar packet was hard as a rock. No kleenex in room and many spiders! It was obvious that the owners did not advise the house keepers that someone was coming. The older lady that I assumed was the owner, was not overly friendly. Also, we decided to go to the Rec Room to play some video games and pool. About 8:00 I went into the office to get some quarters and a young girl was there. I was very friendly and was asking her some questions. It was very obvious that she was not interested in talking to me. I asked her if the rec room was opened and if everything was going. She said yes the door is unlocked. We got into the rec room and none of the machines had lights on them. We decided to play a game of pool and tried to figure out where the main plug may have been to get the video games to come on. Finally my husband went to the breaker box and turned on a switch to the on position. Everything came on! However, the only pin ball machine they had was not working. The other 3 video games that I played did work well. There were issues with the buttons on all of them. They were all VERY old machines! I also had asked the young girl if I could get some cream for my coffee and she said she did not know where it was. I looked around in the kitchen area where they had a beautiful set up and a wonderful assortment at breakfast time. She said well I guess you'll have to come back in the morning!!! The lake view was wonderful. I would not stay here again and would not recommend it. In my opinion they need to upgrade the room we were in or any that may need it. They have a beautiful grounds area and the suites on the outside and beautiful. Beautiful decks, etc. Spending $200.00 a night I would have thought we would have received what we were told we would get.. Very disappointed.....

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Deb P
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We will never stay another place in South Haven except Lake Bluff Inn & Suites. The family owned resort is awesome. Clean rooms, great staff, awesome complementary breakfast includes fresh fruit, rolls, bagels, mini sandwiches, juices, coffee, a great lite way to stary your day. The pool area was so clean and kept well, and the seperate kiddy pool is fantastic for the kids. The grounds are beautiful and they can accomadate any kind of room you want or need, fireplaces, kitchenettes, jacuzzi. O so very relaxing and enjoyable. U must go and see for your self, wether its a romantic get a-way, girls weekend or fun fun for the whole family, Lake Bluff Inn & Suites is five star in our book !!

Room Tip: Any room would be great, just depends on what size you need. we were in the 30's. very cozy, lot...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stumbled across Lake Bluff Inn on the internet and thought the price was right and the pictures on their website were appealing. Took our chances and sooooo glad we did. It is a little piece of heaven nestled on a bluff overlooking Lake Michigan. Lots of beautiful trees to give you that outdoorsy feeling as well. Very family friendly and super nice staff. Sunsets were gorgeous. South Haven is only a hop, skip, and jump away too. If you're expecting the Ritz, this is NOT your place. It is all about the beauty of Michigan here and very peaceful, away from the hustle and bustle of traffic.

We will definitely be returning with our husbands and extended family members.

Room Tip: The suites are absolutely gorgeous and we will be returning next summer for a family vacation.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
#2 of 6 in Saint Joseph
Boulevard Inn
Boulevard Inn
#3 of 6 in Saint Joseph

Been to Lake Bluff Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!