“Chock full of character and good food”
Review of Bear Trap Inn

Bear Trap Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Shingleton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We ate here twice during our trip, and would have eaten here more if we'd discovered it sooner. It is like a rustic diner/tavern combo with the majority of it being the diner part. The pasties had the most flaky, golden brown, delicious looking crust I've ever seen on one. The soup & salad bar was always fresh, full and yummy, containing several homemade selections. The staff was ready with a smile, conversation and help if you needed. Decided if we lived up there we'd be there all the time - it's that welcoming.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

This place is a cute bar and grill that you have to go out of your way to find but its worth the trip. One of the best places to eat in the Munising area. Yes its bar food but it was good bar food! And the staff are just the best! Friendly and happy to help you. Well priced, lots of seating, and cute interior. The staff cares about this place and it shows. Will be back again!

Reviewed August 15, 2012

Bear Trap Inn was recommended to us by an acquaintance who owns a cabin in the area. They referred to it as your "typical up north place, not to be missed" and mentioned the bear skins and decor. We were in the mood for burgers. They had a few to choose from, and they were good. We also had a warm apple dessert. I agree with a previous review that the place was quiet when we were there. There were a few other couples seated, but we were the only family. Our waitress was very friendly, nice to my kids, and they even had sippy cups available for us to use since we had left ours back at our cabin...AND they got to pick a surprise out of a basket after they ate. It was a cheapie little trinket, but of course my 3 year olds thought it was the greatest. My husband said it was the type of place that he wished he could go back later in the evening for a few beers. Maybe next time. :) The location was convenient to the Miner's Castle area. (also, I overheard a different waitress tell a customer as she served their salad that something was directly from "someone's" garden...maybe the owner's, I don't know, but locally grown veggies are a bonus! And when we were seated our waitress said that if we were looking to try a pasty, they would be coming up out of the oven in 20 minutes, hot and fresh...just a few things I noticed that I thought were a nice touch) So it's definitely your typical up-north hole in the wall, but in a good way.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

Ate here a coupla times and it has yet to disappoint... A great place to have lunch along the snowmobile trail.... The food is good too!

Reviewed August 6, 2012

Ever feel like you wandered into a place that was awesome "yesterday night" but is completely empty "today?" That epitomizes our visit.

First off the food was fine. Nothing special, but it's a bar in the middle of nowhere. I had no reason to expect anything else. The pastie I had was good, not great, not bad, but good. The beer was cold, but they haven't discovered the craft-beer revolution yet, so there were no Michigan beers at this restaurant (a mild disappointment after nearly everywhere we went in the UP had at least Bell's and Keweenaw Brewing Company).

I was a little weird how quiet and empty the place was. It was lunchtime, and I know it's a bar so I didn't expect live music and a racous crowd... but we were literally the only people there, having come from a series of busy attractions in the nearby Pictured Rocks.

At any rate, if you're passing through and need a meal, this stop will do the trick and get you back on your way.