“Not authentic thai food whatsoever!”
Review of Khom Fai

Khom Fai
Reserve with OpenTable
Khom Fai is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 152 Restaurants in Shelby Township
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Families with children
“Not authentic thai food whatsoever!”
Reviewed September 16, 2011

The owner was a very nice chef who seated us but we really judge the restaurant mostly by the quality of the food more so than the service. Besides, we came here mostly for the food anyways. We ordered papaya salad and pad thai. We ordered spicy on both dishes. When we tried the papaya salad, it was very salty at first but as we dug down more to the bottom where all the juice fell to, we found out that that's where all the sauce hid at. So basically I had to continuously scoop the sauce from the bottom of the plate to the top so that it wouldn't be so salty; that's where the less salty sauce was at. Also the papaya salad had Wayyy too much crush peanuts mixed in. Legit authentic papaya salad will not crush their peanuts but will lay whole peanuts on top. This was mixed and crushed in, totally not authentic. The taste is very salty. Authentic papaya salad is lightly salted, should have more sugar and lime juice to the taste than salt overall. We also had pad thai. Let me tell u, worst pad thai I have ever had in my life. Ive worked at numerous thai restaurants and ate at a variety of thai restaurants to know well enough to determine what's authentic or not. Even if it's not authentic, it should have at least SOME pad thai flavor to it. But here, don't expect it. We had chicken and hot spice added into our pad thai and during the middle of my feast, it hit me that I couldn't taste the flavor of the pad thai. Sad thing was that I was so hungry it took me a while to stop and say.. Wait this is not pad thai flavored. I kept eating and hoped that the flavor will come in a bit but I was wrong. All I tasted was bland noodles and the spice sauce. Yes spice sauce. And it's odd because our pad thai looked orange red and my bf determined it's a chili oil they put in to make it look like that. Looks like they put red spice oil sauce to cook it! There was really no sweet flavor to the pad thai at all. It should have at least some sweet taste right? Wrong. I was so disappointed in the pad thai. So bland so flavorless. Even after I put in 6 slices of lime juice in it. It was so sad bc I didn't taste anything at all. I wanted to ask the waitress for a whole lime but I'm afraid they may charge for that extra, as if their prices aren't ridiculous enough. If they are to price their dishes up there, then they must meet at least some flavor expectations. Worst pad thai ever!!! Don't believe me , go try theirs now. Btw I told me bf the best thing about the 2 dishes was the chicken in the Pad thai oddly enough. Try it and u will understand what I'm saying. My bf said that he wished he had ordered xtra chicken and less noodles. How sad. Overpriced food. Sad dining tables. Waitress was in her own world by the corner at the register. And they need to have a dress code or something enforced. I could not tell who was working there or not bc they dressed so casually like going to the movies or something. Horrible. Will not go again other than to go Eat bland pad thai.

4 Thank Cindiee

Arlington, Texas
“Best Thai Food in the Detroit Area”
Reviewed September 1, 2011

Don't just take my word for it - Hour Magazine, Detroit's lifestyle tabloid, and CityVoters Detroit A-List voted it best as well. This unassuming restaurant at the end of a strip mall in Shelby Township was so good we ate there twice on a four-day visit. The menu isn't extensive, but everything we had was fantastic - Thai iced tea, Thai coffee, spring rolls, Pad Thai, fried rice, and the best crispy chicken I've ever tasted. The decor was surprisingly sophisticated and the staff was friendly and attentive. The chef told us that everything served at Khom Fai was locally-sourced and made-to-order. A great dining experience! Highly recommended!

• Visited May 2011