“Smokehouse”
Review of Smokey Bones BBQ - CLOSED

Smokey Bones BBQ
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed May 24, 2012

Road trip on a sunny day, stopped for lunch and was surprised it was a smokehouse. Sign only said Restaurant on the outside. Clean and friendly

3  Thank Dirtbag59

Reviewed April 13, 2012

This was my first visit and will be going back. I had the ribs and they were perfectly cooked and seasoned. Everything was clean with plenty of elbow room. No complaints about the staff. Will be going back even though it is a little out of the way. Want to explore the menu so will be trying the chicken next visit. TRY IT - YOU'LL LIKE IT!!

4  Thank SALLY A
Reviewed January 15, 2012

I love going to Smokey Bones. Every chance I get I try to go. The food is classic homemade BBQ which I love and the service is exceptional. The quantity of food for the prices is great, typically with one order I can get two whole meals. It reminds me of a classic country dinner and has a really nice hometown feel.

2  Thank Bengry
Reviewed October 2, 2011

My family and I eat at Smokey Bones often...The wait staff is on point now, I believe like the other person who commented stated they must of been new, And yes the lady use to sell her BBQ out of a 5th wheel... To be really honest I am a really picky person when it comes to my food, and I can not complain about nothing here.....10/2/2011............Oh yes before I forget they are always busy.....have fun and be hungry.....

2  Thank justme_48632
Reviewed July 24, 2011

This establishment is in a location (the corner of M-66 and Business US-10, just east of Evart) that's been occupied by a number of failed restaurants. Because I'm a booster of outstate Michigan, I always root for businesspeople willing to take a new chance in situations like this. And I especially feel this way having learned that the owner of Smokey Bones got her start as a food truck operator in a nearby community.

We stopped here for Sunday supper after a day trip to the Ludington area; we'd noticed that a new owner was occupying the building and decided to check it out. (If you're traveling in this area, you should also know that there's almost nowhere to eat in any direction...which one would think would make this a very attractive location for a restaurant!)

We walked in in the aftermath of what had appeared to be a private birthday party, and the harried staff still hadn't cleared away the ribbons and balloons from that affair. We also saw many diners who looked as if they were getting impatient waiting for their meals. Oh, dear. But we smelled delicious barbecue-y aromas wafting in from the kitchen -- actually, that was our first impression getting out of our vehicle -- and thought, "Well, maybe the food is worth the wait."

The good news: The food is worth the weight. We loved our barbecue ribs and chicken; the meat was nicely smoked and delicious; we enjoyed the sweet-tangy sauce; the Southern-style sides were also very good. We didn't have any complaints about the food quality, and were also pleased that the BBQ is smoked right out in back, every day.

The restaurant space itself is decorated in a country-and-western theme thanks to previous owners, and it feels as if it doesn't quite belong with the new, Southern inspired menu...but this being a new venture, that's not unexpected. (I once found myself eating Chinese food in a restaurant that had formerly been an "up north" tourist trap -- taxidermy and hunting scenes on the walls, wallpaper festooned with game birds, etc. Pretty funny.)

Not so pleasant: The wait. You could tell that the owner was experiencing the growing pains of going from a relatively small-scale operation to a large, full-service restaurant. The waitstaff (whom I suspect were all family) were all hustling, but you could tell that this was a new thing for them; they hadn't quite gotten the hang of the work flow from floor to kitchen and back; and I suspect that was also true in the kitchen itself. And we heard some apologies to diners that the kitchen was out of a number of menu items...ouch; potentially deadly to a new restaurant trying to build a reputation.

But that's not a criticism of the restaurant; as my partner, who used to be in the food business for many years, noted -- these folks are on a learning curve. And it's no reason not to visit this restaurant. Just budget some extra time. Please give these folks a chance...we'd love this to be a culinary success story.

5  Thank Michigandress