“Best chef in SW Michigan”
Review of Mesa Luna

Mesa Luna
Ranked #4 of 17 Restaurants in Sawyer
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Farm-to-table cooking & cocktails served in a cozy place with seating on a patio & screened porch.
Chicago, IL, USA
“Best chef in SW Michigan”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Sam Luna has returned with a new version of his much loved Mesa Luna - this time in Sawyer, Michigan, featuring a more casual menu. Sam has cooked with some big time guys in Chicago, and he brings classical training to his food, as seen in his spectacular garlic custard with a fricassee of wild mushrooms. The current wild salmon entree is stunning in its simplicity with nuanced favors - would be a star even in Seattle or Portland. I wish more high end chefs would offer half portions as Sam does because it is a great relief to be served something other than the monster pieces of meat or fish found in so many places these days. This is especially true of Sam's Korean skirt steak with kimchee vegetables where half is just exactly enough. Add an interesting and very fairly priced wine list chosen by his extremely knowledgeable wife, Denise, and the new incarnation of Mesa Luna is a huge winner for all of us Harbor Country refugees from other places who know and appreciate great food. Service is still a little unpredictable, but once it is polished up more I will upgrade to five stars.

Dayton Ohio
“Best Restaurant in Sawyer”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

We stayed in Sawyer for one week and ate here twice. I loved the ingredients and flavors. The portions were perfect for me in the half size but if you are accustomed to the oversize meals of the chain restaurants then get the full size. Highly recommend!! My 4 and 6 year old also enjoyed. Great for the whole family.

1 Thank ShannonDaytonOhio
Lakeside, Michigan, United States
“Very nice dinner in SW Michigan”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

We had a very satisfying meal at Mesa Luna today. It's in Sawyer, MI, near the intersection of Red Arrow Hwy and Sawyer Rd. It was a Thursday, so we didn't have to deal with the tourist rush. We had, as a starter, garlic custard with mushrooms and French bread toast. Absolutely stunning - creamy garlic, cheese, egg, and mushroom paste applied to our toast. Cathie had the cod fish sandwich with fries, while I had the Korean marinated skirt steak with kimchee-style marinated veggies and jasmine rice. Both dinners were outstanding. Personally, I can't say which was better because they were both so good. Cathie had no leftovers - so that's an endorsement in itself. Drinks: three glasses of dry Riesling wine for Cathie and two Martinis and a glass of beer for me. Price before tip and after tax: $102. Cost was appropriate to drinks. Quality was excellent. Service was great. Ask for Jen. Our rating - 4 out of 5 stars.

New Buffalo, Michigan
“Fresh, Local, Delicious”
Reviewed July 19, 2014

I started with the pea puree flatbread appetizer. Superb! Because the season for these locally-grown peas is very short, it may already be off the menu. If it's still on, I highly recommend it. Next was the half order of salmon - delish. For dessert, I got a piece of chocolate cake. Rich, dense, a chocolate lovers dream.

“Date night”
Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

This place caught our eye when we were driving to our vacation rental. I read online reviews about the place and decided to try it out. It was a wonderful place to eat. We had a great time and the service was perfect. I really loved the fact that they used locally grown ingredients. From the farm to the table that is what they are about. Very nice place to eat we will come back again.