“Interesting but not exceptional”
Review of Soe' Cafe - CLOSED

Soe' Cafe
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Saint Joseph, MI
“Interesting but not exceptional”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

When you first arrive at the cafe it looks nice. You have a good impression, well lit, surrounding clean. Inside, looks like a trendy chic place that you could find in a city area with essences of country life style. Place looks nice and clean but a bit cold for the atmosphere. Having the waiting staff not talk to each other when a client is standing waiting for help is not recommended. Having the serving staff have a fresh clean cut look should be encouraged. I'm coming and paying for an nice evening, and I do not want to be treated like your college fellow. I'm not your buddy. I wish the waiter we had, knew better her job and was able to explain precisely the dish and not guess, or I don't know, or I like it as an answer, doesn't explain me how the dish is prepared and I don't know how your expectations are set and if they can meet mine. Overall, the evening was a success because, we were meeting with friends and we didn't see each other from a long time and the conversations went on and with pleasure. I enjoyed my Gran Sasso and my duck confit break with celery root as the potatoes saute in duck fat. The brownies and bread pudding were good. Training should be recommend for staff serving and restaurant service knowledge. Tab was a bit high for the what we didn't received in service, food was good. I also tried the butternut squash soup, (okay), but the spinach cheese side wasn't a hit. Hand cut fries were good. Will pass on the cheese sandwich nothing memorable. Will need to go back to re-evaluate the service and try more food.

• Visited November 2012

Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Outstanding find right near Lake Michigan”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Sometimes you make a great find where you least expect it. This outstanding restaurant may be well known to locals, but it was a real find for our family. Strangers to this part of the country, we were driven from a visit to the shores of Lake Michigan by a heavy rainstorm. We piled into this place as shelter from the storm, but found a chic,comfortable, welcoming interior, highly original menu, and a great selection of beers - one of which will be my sentimental favorite for years to come: Fin du Monde. Try it. You'll like it.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Lmsarch
Chicago, Illinois
“Nice ambiance with good food in a friendly setting.”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Very fresh ingredients and reasonably priced. Sourcing from local farmers is nice. Staff are friendly and welcoming. A nice dinner experience.

• Visited October 2012
Detroit, Michigan
“Country Chic”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

The servers wear dressy jeans and fitted plaid shirts, the whole vibe is county chic. The food is from local sources when possible and the menu varied. Our group of eight were all very impressed with our meals. I would love to go for brunch sometime.
The children's menu was not your typical hot dogs and hamburgers (although I think they did have a grass fed hamburger on it). It was nice to see a more healthy and interesting children's menu.

• Visited July 2012
indiana
“Relaxed and good food”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Since we tried Soe Cafe this spring we have been back several times since. We have tried all the appetizers except the seasoned nuts (they brought us the Olive and Cheese spread on the house to try on our first visit). We love them all and the sweet potato chips are ordered every time we visit. My vegetarian daughter loves the mushroom small plate. My favorite is the smoked pork shoulder. The only thing that is less impressive is the hamburger - but this is not a burger place. We found the wait staff very nice and love sitting out on the porch.

• Visited August 2012