“Too expensive for our wallets”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Fitzgerald's - CLOSED

Fitzgerald's
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Michigan
“Too expensive for our wallets”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

Our first clue that we picked the wrong restaurant was that the one next to Fitzgerald's was PACKED. When we walked in to Fitzgerald's, there was a table of four men and they were the only customers. Can't complain about the surroundings and the service was very good, but when we got the bill, our jaws dropped. I had one crab cake and a cup of soup. My husband had the crab cake entree (which was the special that evening). It came with about 6 or 7 brussel sprouts and that was it. He had water to drink and I had a cola. The bill? A whopping $60! His dinner was $31.00 for two crab cakes and brussel sprouts. The food was good, but we've had better. Won't be back - can't afford it.

• Visited December 2013

Benton Harbor, Michigan
“Unique and tastey restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

Found the restaurant from word of mouth. Had never been to Sawyer. It was a great surprise. The place has local artists art up on the wall and had an old movie playing on the back tv. We were one of two tables there so the place was quiet. The waitress was attentive without being overbearing. The prices were on the higher end but not over the top. The crab cakes were very good and the spinach fritters were tasty was well. I had the veggie meatloaf, I enjoyed it but everyone at my table who tried it liked it the least. I would say it was on the dry side but flavored well with black beans and lentels. My mom had the turkey with brussel sprouts and enjoyed them a lot. The brussel sprouts were tender and well flavored.

• Visited November 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“A Very Good Average Lunch”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

A well known eating establishment that has good cooking, but really not very special. The spinach fritters could have been warmer and had the covering cheese melted rather than cold.. The fish and chips were pleasing with lightly battered cod. We experienced a very long time between appetizers and main dish at lunch. Full bar service. Considering its reputation I was sort of disappointed though not displeased.

• Visited October 2013
Lombard, Illinois
“Simply ok - nothing great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

Food was ok only... tried fish and chips, their special lobster mac and cheese, spicy catfish sandwich, etc. I'll agree with other reviewers who state that the mac and cheese on both the lobster mac as well as the kids mac was simply dry. No sauce whatsoever.
The service was a disappointment. I asked for catsup and small containers were brought out - but not enough for all who had fries. I asked for two more and one was brought to the person who didn't have one... ONE. We're talking SMALL containers. I've never before felt that I was being rationed at a restaurant... especially for catsup. Had to ask for more water and not from waitress since she wasn't around. I always leave a 20%+ tip. Could barely bring myself to tip 15%. They have a good beer selection and passable food, but if you stop in, I hope you get better service.

• Visited October 2013
Libertyville, Illinois
“Expensive and mediocre”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

Food was barely ok. Our French onion soup was a bowl full of onions with a tablespoon of broth. Must have been scraping the bottom of the pot. My macaroni loving daughter wouldn't finish her Mac and cheese which is really rare for her. The pot roast was decent, the fish and chips tolerable. The service was good and the atmosphere was neat but the food just wasn't worth the money spent. I have no problem paying for good food, i just hate overpaying for mediocre food.

• Visited August 2013