“Everything being relative...”

The Palace Saloon
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Specializing in Mexican and American cuisine, the Palace Saloon is the best restaurant in the Soo, and anyone who stops in for a meal or a drink is sure to realize that. Serving customers for over a century, the Palace Saloon has a history and reputation that can't be beat - and neither can its menu. An amazing atmosphere, including a mahogany bar from 1903, with mood lighting and a comfortable ambiance make us the perfect choice for a night out with the family, a special date night with someone special, or just the best place to come for a delicious meal and an amazing drink. Famous for our chili con queso and giant margarita menu, we offer a great variety of Mexican and American fares, including some of the original Mexican recipes from when the restaurant opened in 1903. We also offer great charbroiled steaks and burgers, fajitas, burritos, quesadillas and salads, sure to satisfy anyone's appetite. The Palace Saloon also features daily margarita specials, like our current caramel apple margarita, and that's just one of a huge variety of specialty margaritas we're famous for. Along with that huge margarita special, we have a full bar with just about any drink you could want. The soft lit restaurant gives you the feel of a night club, but the family friendly atmosphere makes the Palace Saloon the great place for everyone - from current regulars to brand new customers. Warm a cozy, we make sure your experience is perfect whether you're on a special date night or just having a night out on the town. Daily specials at the Palace Saloon include our Margarita Mondays, Taco Tuesdays, Wing Wednesdays, Burger & Fries Thursdays, and steak specials. Located conveniently near the Soo Locks, and famous for our chili con queso and margaritas, The Palace Saloon is the Soo's best gathering place for delicious food and fun, where old friends gather and new friends meet.
Reviewed March 17, 2013

First of all, there are not a ton of options in downtown Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan on a Sunday night in early March. It's kind of important to know that. My partner and I stepped into a couple other establishments (with either poor dining options or service) and ended up seated at the bar in the Palace Saloon. The old back bar is quite impressive for such a small place. The bar itself was equipped with a foot rest; a necessity for my fella. We ordered some American-Mexican food that was decent and plentiful. Hey, this is bar food. If your expectations are reasonable I don't think you'll be too disappointed. I did think the extra charge for jalepeno peppers on the side ($1.50) was a bit high; on the other hand, considering our other options we were well satiated.

1  Thank luckygreen

Reviewed March 10, 2013

This is a dive bar.

Once you accept this reality, you will probably receive very warm service in an environment that is badly in need of renovations and with unfinished drywall suggesting it's under renovation - but it's just always like that.

The food, you know it's average. It's not authentic Mexican. As one server told me bluntly, it's "American Mexican" and that means your regular sort of stuff. I had their beef tenderloin tips and it was very overcooked - I asked for medium rare but wasn't surprised when it arrived the way it did and I didn't complain. The guacamole is a pre-made homogenous paste and not worth it. For $4.00 they could make it with fresh with actual cilantro and tomatoes. Their salsa is very good as is the con queso.

I've had their quesadillas and they're served on a steaming platter in a showy display which will be noticed by the entire restaurant.

You are in the United States and so are going to have someone checking up on you every two minutes asking if there is a change in your mood - except when you need them; my guest requested another drink and she took ten minutes to bring it near the end of the meal so you get the impression they're talking *at you* instead of to you.

At $48 it was not inexpensive.

This restaurant attracts a wide range of patrons. Halfway through my meal walked in what I can only describe as the most obese group of people I have ever seen and unfortunately they were all dressed like slobs.

Although my experience wasn't terrible, they need to update their restaurant and menu because both are tired and below expectations of an average restaurant.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

We were very pleased with our food at the Palace Saloon. The wait to get a seat was minimal. The service was very good and we really enjoyed the ambiance of the restaurant.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

But not good, either. I had heard that The Palace was a pretty good Mexican restaurant. I think the only thing that was even close to being "Mexican" was the terminology used to describe their food. It wasn't even good Tex-Mex.

They recommend their "queso" dip with chips. The chips (both flour and corn) were actually pretty fair. The "queso" was basic Velveeta with some low-quality salsa (not even as good as Pace) melted in it.

I tried the seafood quesadilla and my husband had the seafood enchilladas. We left most of our meals there. There was very little flavor to either entree except for cheese. We both like cheese, but this wasn't what we had been hoping for.

A word about the service. When we arrived, we had to wait for several (more than 10) minutes. The restaurant wasn't even busy at the time. We purposely arrived around 5:30 to beat the evening "rush." When we were lead to our table, I had to change chairs with another table as there was food all over the one I was initially supposed to sit in. The service didn't improve much, either. While our server was pleasant, she was almost non-existent. We waited a very long time for two draught beers and the appetizer was even longer coming. I almost wish we'd cancelled our dinner orders and gone elsewhere. As I mentioned earlier, our entrees were almost completely untouched.

We certainly will not be back to The Palace Saloon.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We needed a late dinner for a large group (9), this place was recommended by visiting couple we met. We stopped and was not disappointed. Large food selection, decent Mexican food, price was reasonable.