Holiday Inn Express Sault Ste. Marie
$110
Super 8 Sault Ste. Marie(Sault Ste. Marie)(Great Value!)
$63
$76
$90
$120
Americas Best Value Inn(Sault Ste. Marie)
$100
Hotwire.com
Kewadin Casinos Hotel(Sault Ste. Marie)
$77
Adoba Lockview Hotel(Sault Ste. Marie)(Great Value!)
$105
$82
Budget Host Crestview Inn(Sault Ste. Marie)(Great Value!)
$79
$69
Plaza Motor Motel(Sault Ste. Marie)(Great Value!)
$63
All reviewslake superior state universitycinnamon rollsnice hotelfront deskinternational bridgegas stationthe breakfast arearoom was cleansoo locksfirst floorhotel is locatedyogurtgreat place to stayeasy accessshort drivebusiness trippool and hot tub
Reviewed June 10, 2010

First, when you're travelling in Michigan's UP, you automatically have to lower your standards for hotels. Most of them are older and have not been updated, so you have to expect that. I read the very mixed reviews on Trip Advisor when I was selecting a hotel in Sault Ste Marie, and I went ahead and booked this one. Boy was it a mistake. Many of the reviews mentioned a "musty odor" in the rooms....it wasn't musty, it was BODY ODOR...accumulated over YEARS AND YEARS of the carpets, drapes, etc. never being cleaned, apparently. The first room they assigned us, we walked in and were assaulted by the smell, it was so bad we couldn't stand it. So we immediately called the front desk and told them that this room needed to be sanitized and we needed another room. They offered us one on the PET FLOOR instead! We said that would not be acceptable, and then they "miraculously" had a non-pet room on another floor because a guest had asked to be relocated....I asked if it was because the room smelled and the front desk clerk said no, so we went ahead and took it. Well, this room didn't smell quite as bad as the other one...probably about 80% of the body odor smell. YIKES! The problem was, we knew that we were going to be taking a chance at any other hotel in the area, so we decided to grin and bear it instead of trying to relocate. We opened the window (it was about 50 degrees that day) and it only opened about 8 inches, so we couldn't get much air coming in, then we left and went to K-Mart and bought plug in air fresheners and Febreze and we came back (after a nightmarish dinner experience in town) and sprayed and plugged and basically bided our time until morning. We checked out very early after a terrible night's sleep because it was so gross. I'm not sure how anyone could give this hotel a good review....you should trust the bad reviews about this one and assume the good ones are from people who don't know what a good hotel is! I have a friend who works for Intercontinental (parent company of Holiday Inn) and he told me that the entire Express chain is going through an upgrade that is optional for franchisees. The ones that have been upgraded will get a new sign, it's a big "H" in blue and green that replaces the old blue sign.....so you should always look for that sign to know that they've gone through the upgrade and they won't be old and nasty like this one.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 31, 2010

We stayed a couple of nights and enjoyed our room. The majority of the staff we encountered were helpful. The breakfast was fresh & very good for a continental breakfast. We had trouble with the lock for our door, but help was provided right away. The room & bed were comfortable. It is easy to find and off the road enough to be very quiet.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 3, 2010

Holiday Inn Express is usually one of my preferred hotels to stay in simply because I'm usually assured of consistent quality and standards. This hotel is not in the same league as the majority of the others I've stayed in and next time I'll try someplace else. On check in, my requests on booking were ignored although the hotel was not full. The pool had been rented out apparently to a children's party group so there was no way to use it; the furnishings in the room were aging and scratched and scruffy, I opened the drapes for some light and I was looking into the dumpsters; the room had a moldy smell and there was construction going on in the room right above me. Perhaps the hotel will be better when renovations are complete however, this is my second time here and it's still mediocre. Most likely I'll try another hotel next time.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 23, 2010

A co-worker and I were on a business trip and booked the Holiday Inn Express for 4 nights. We arrived Sunday night and were in two separate rooms; one on the 2nd floor and one on the 4th floor. The rooms here are outdated as previous reviews state, so don't expect much, but do expect you will have bed bug problems if you stay here. On Sunday night , when I went to turn off the light next to my bed, I noticed that on the inside of the lamp-shade there was little speckles of red stuff. The thought of bed bugs crossed my mind since I've seen TV shows about the critters and know what they are and what they do. The more I looked at it, the more it looked like blood. The next day I made a remark/joke to my co-worker stating that I'll be upset if I got bed bugs. Well, needless to say, Monday night we checked out at Midnight. My co-worker went to shut the lights off and saw a bug crawling on the nightstand next to her! She killed it with a tissue and the thing exploded with blood. She looked online and found a picture of a bed bug; perfect match to what she just killed. The employee working at the time had not experienced this incident before since she just started in July, but agreed to inform her manger and stated that we would not be charged for our rooms. We left immediately. We are still pretty disgusted. We talked to the manger the next day from the Holiday Inn to ensure our credit cards would be credited. She stated that she was aware of the bed bug problems within their hotel and the hotel was taking action to take care of the problem. We also found some bed bug registry list online and guess what: this Holiday Inn in Sault Ste. Marie is on the list, so this isn't the first occurrence.

Beware future guests. Unless they fix this problem (which is very costly), I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. Even if they bug bombed the place, I still wouldn't return. These things are disgusting and can cause a lot of problems besides just biting you. They can get in your clothes, your luggage...anything! There are other hotels in the Soo so just do your research.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank travlr325
ssmhi, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Sault Ste. Marie, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2010

I do wish to express my apologies for the inconvenience with your stay at our property. As I did state we did have a prior issue and you are correct it is very costly. We spent over $4,500 (in a one month period) to check our entire property and treat when we had the problem. We treated the room with the problem and the rooms on both sides and also those three above and below the room in a nine room block. We did the same for the room that the guest was moved to. We also treat rooms of guests that move from other properties to ours if we know why they have switched hotels. We continue to have our pest control company inspect our facility every month, they extensively check designated rooms through out the building. Unfortunately this issue is not one that we can prevent as the source is not an issue with the facility but what guests may have that they bring into the building.
Patti Paris

Reviewed September 3, 2009

I enjoyed this hotel. The room was clean. The wireless Internet worked well. It is very close to I-75 and Lake Superior State University. The breakfast was nice. Free newspaper in the morning. The location is a little remote but that meant it was a quiet place for sleeping. It is about 2 miles from the downtown area.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business