“Great staff! Great location! Fair price! Wonderful breakfast!”

Holiday Inn Express Sault Ste. Marie
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Sault Ste. Marie
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I have stayed at this HIE several times on visits to the U.P., and it is my favorite. A great view of the International Bridge, tasty breakfast in a well-stocked and clean room, a staff always willing to be helpful, etc. No other hotels are nearby and it isn't on a busy highway, so this place is extremely quiet. I have had two issues with shower heads making squeaky noises, and both times things were taken care of the same day. For not much more money, I suggest upgrading to the two-room suite. It has an in-room jacuzzi, two televisions, a sofa, work desk, fridge and microwave, and during my times there, I have always been placed at the end of a hallway, meaning it is extra quiet. One more nice thing--one trip had me staying there one night and then crossing over the border to take the train trip to Hearst, Ontario. Four days later I was coming back and then staying for a week or so back at the HEI. Rather than having to take all of my belongings across the border through Customs, I was allowed to stash everything I didn't need in a room and picked them up when I returned. Also, the manager upgraded my on my one-night stay to a nicer room at no additional charge. These people couldn't be nicer. Sault Ste. Marie is my favorite vacation spot, and I have 10 nights booked at this hotel this summer. I can't wait.

Room Tip: Book a two-room suite.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were simply passing through and stayed only one night. Great accommodations that met our needs.

There is a breakfast that is included and that was: eggs, biscuits, sausage gravy, cereal, fruit, yougurt, muffins, juices, milk and coffee.

Front desk was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2013

This is a nice pet friendly hotel with clean rooms, good service, and a nice indoor pool area. It is near the border with easy access to Canada. Pets are allowed on the first couple of floors only, so there should be no concern if you have allergies as you'll be in a room on a higher floor.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank chefbear95
Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

Nice updates clean hotel.
Very large indoors swimming pool.
The room was cute, modern and clean.
The breakfast was tasty, and if course free. The staff was friendly and helpful.
We will stay here again!!!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I have stayed here a number of times over the years and the hotel has improved greatly during this time. The rooms were clean. The front desk and service were fine. No complaints. This hotel is within minutes of some shopping, there is a casino about 5 minutes away and the border can be seen from your window. The parking lot is well lit and the area is safe. The bathroom was updated and in good shape with a nice shower. As always there is non stop coffee for guests - a warm welcome after a cold drive.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2013

As a frequent traveler, I'm always a little apprehensive about budget hotels.....I shouldn't have been here at the Holiday Inn Express!

My room was spotless with a fresh duvet and the TV had a gazillion channels to choose from! There's nothing I hate more than when a hotel has only about 30 channels (and most are some version of ESPN). It even offered Turner Classic Movies, a real rarity.

Although I missed breakfast (not a morning person), the hotel still had fresh coffee 24/7 -- and a staffer actually brought me milk for my coffee (they just have powdered coffee creamer otherwise.) That was a nice touch and was appreciated.

The staff was all very nice and friendly....love that Midwest!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This is a newer Holiday Inn Express closer to downtown Sault Ste. Marie than the other hotels located along the I-75 Business Spur south of town. It is also right next to Lake Superior State University.

The building is relatively new and in good shape. Rooms are of average size with accommodations typical for a lower-mid range hotel. My room was immaculate. The pool looked nice but was crowded during my most recent stay. A free hot breakfast is served in the lobby area.

This is a basic hotel but a nice choice for the area. This was my second stay and is my go-to choice anytime my work requires me to be in Sault Ste. Marie.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Days Inn Sault Ste Marie MI
Days Inn Sault Ste Marie MI
#11 of 18 in Sault Ste. Marie
Ramada Plaza Sault Ste. Marie Ojibway
Ramada Plaza Sault Ste. Marie Oj...
#8 of 18 in Sault Ste. Marie
Holiday Inn Express - Sault Ste. Marie
Holiday Inn Express - Sault Ste....
#7 of 23 in Sault Ste. Marie
Americas Best Value Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
#10 of 18 in Sault Ste. Marie

Been to Holiday Inn Express Sault Ste. Marie? Share your experiences!