“Disaster” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 18 Hotels in Sault Ste. Marie
Zeeland, Michigan
“Disaster”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014

Not a good experiance at all! Room was decent and clean but the front staff, other than when I checked in, were not very helpful. I booked a room for 2 nights while attending my Aunt's funeral. While at the funeral there were 6 differant charges for a total of $710 on my debit card. Ryan the manager never returned calls as promised and did NOTHING to fix the problem. I had to call my bank and dispute the charges. I will never use this place again, or a debit card for a room.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank John D
Comfort4404, General Manager at Hometown Inn and Suites, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
I would like to first of all apologize for your previous stay. The individual mentioned in your review is no longer the General Manager of this property. In order to make some much needed changes to the service and quality of stay for our guests, the owner has opted to bring in new management. Our staff is currently undergoing a rather drastic change and training in order to accommodate our guest in a more professional manner.

Please contact the hotel directly at (906) 635-1118 and ask for the General Manager if you would like to discuss this matter further. Also the issue of the repeated charges to your card should be addressed. Please contact me for further compensation for your troubles.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Mesick, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights 3/21 and 3/22/2014. My debit card was charged 3 times for an amount that wasnt even reflected on my receipt. When asking the front desk about this issue they had NO answers. I called 3 times to speak to the manager "Ryan" who NEVER once called me back. I had to dispute these charges with my bank. And the people from the Choice Hotels 1-800 number. The gal at the desk had NO clue how a credit/Debit card transaction even works. There is a difference between a charge and an authorization!! One desk person actually tried to blame MY bank. As though they had charged my card. Upon explaining that it was 3 different trasactions, with 3 different transaction #'s. she still didn't get it. I don't know what kind of crooked operation they are running but they had NO reason to charge my card 3 days AFTER we checked out!! I had to get a new card and everything! Seriously, they are awful, unprofessional, and VERY VERY shady!!! The pool was cold, the hot tub was cold. The nicest staff we met was the housekeeper. She was about the only one who knew what was going on. One front desk gal had facial piercings!! The pool closes at 11. We had to call the desk at midnight because people were still swimming and keeping us awake yelling and hollering. The desk told me they," hadn't got to the pool yet to clear all the people out." it was seriously the worst expierence I have ever had at a hotel. How can you work in the hospitality industry and be soooo down right nasty!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Cari K
First of all I would like to apologize for the nature of your stay with us back in March. In order to facilitate some much needed changes, the owner has opted to bring in new management. Problems such as what you encountered are being addressed and the individuals responsible for such mistakes are being re-trained or replaced. Also we are planning further renovations to the property starting in the early fall.

As the new General Manager I would like to discuss this matter with you further and hopefully find a way to make up for the experience. Situations like this MUST be addressed and can not be allowed to happen in the future! Please contact the hotel at (906) 635-1118 and ask for the General Manager.

Travelers are raving about these Sault Ste. Marie hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

The hotel itself is fine, they are currently doing upgrades so some hallways are construction zones (which is not a problem). Hotel staff were friendly and helpful, especially Melissa! Will definitely stay there again.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

There was nobody at the front desk when we were checking in - had to wait 10 minutes. Elevator/Ice machine were broken. Our non-smoking room reeked of smoke. TV had 1 channel. Hallways were freezing and had exposed wires hanging from the ceiling. The set up is a giant maze. Ran out of milk at breakfast. Water pressure in the shower was terrible. Never again!

Room Tip: Don't.
2 Thank Kyle G
I would like to apologize for the less than perfect nature of your previous stay with us. In order to avoid further issues such as the ones you encountered, the owner has opted to bring in new management to correct these and other issues. To address some of your concerns, the missing celling tiles were removed to facilitate the installation of new internet lines and security cable and for some reason never replaced. This has been addressed. The TV only displaying one channel can only be attributed to the cable company doing "upgrades" in the area which affected everyone, residential and business alike. In order to switch to a digital service many customers were completely without service for almost two weeks. Again, this matter has been resolved. All of our rooms are Non-smoking and when a guest is found to be smoking in the room we remove it from service, thoroughly clean it, and then return it to service. I'm not sure what the previous policy was, but now we are trying to stay on top of these issues.

I sincerely hope that in the future we can have a chance to show you the changes we've made. Further renovations to the property are scheduled for this fall and we hope to have them completed by early spring.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

The outside of the building looked very nice and well kept and then everything went downhill from there. Front desk staff was rude,very short, and seemed uninterested in the guests. I was travelling with friends and we had to wait over 20 minutes for everyone to check in and there was nobody in the lobby ? Front desk forgot to mention the hotel was under renovations and the hallways were freezing. Once we finally got to our room it had a stale smoke smell and our toilet kept making weird noises. The pressure from the shower head was very weak. I had asked the front desk if he could call me a cab and he refused. I had to be firm and ask multiple times. It was just my girlfriend and I in the room. Around 4am we were both in bed sleeping, the front desk staff knocked on my door and said to keep it down ?? I explained we've been sleeping for hours and we haven't been making noise. He then apologized and realized it was the room three doors down being rowdy. All of this could have been avoided if he just kept his ears open and LISTENED. The only plus side to our stay was the continental breakfast, which turned out to be fruit and your choice of white or whole wheat toast....I would not recommend this hotel to anyone !! I feel that Comfort Inn is highly over priced for what they have to offer.

Room Tip: If you would like a good room I suggest you keep driving past Comfort Inn and go to the next availab...
1 Thank Jenner K
I would like to first humbly apologize for the nature of your previous stay. In order to correct the issues you noted and others as well, the owner has opted to bring in new management. The staff is being re-trained or replaced, the "renovations" that were begun some time back have been stopped due to inactivity on the part of the contractors and rescheduled for this fall with a whole new company, maintenance issues described in your review have been addressed or will be rectified during the remodel this fall, and the overall consideration of our guests is being attended to by our new staff in a much more professional manner.

Please once again accept my apologies for your previous stay and feel free to contact me directly at the hotel if you would like to discuss this further (906) 635-1118
Sudbury, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed there for one night, and it was good. They are in updating for now, but it still was nice. The staff were friendly, and very helpful when our car would not start. They said they would hold a room if we could not get going that morning even tho it was new year eve. The breakfast was well laid out, and impressive. Appleby's was next door, making it convenient. The room we had was a Jacuzzi room, which we enjoyed. Towels were a good size, bathroom clean. The room was well laid out. Since they are up-dating, some material was in the entrance, but not in the way of our coming and going.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a window that looks into the pool room. If you don't swim, and don't have ch...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ryan K, Manager at Hometown Inn and Suites, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
We are glad to hear your stay with us was pleasant. Yes we are under some renovations and hope to be done by spring for the up and coming warmer months. We strive to make every guests stay great and am glad our staff could help make that possible. Thank you again for your positive response.

Property Manager.
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here while traveling with family. The check in was fast and efficient. The building was well maintained, the common areas were clean and pleasant. The room was clean, the bed comfortable and the amenities were perfect. Overall, a great place to stay.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Americas Best Value Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
#13 of 18 in Sault Ste. Marie
Ramada Plaza Sault Ste. Marie Ojibway
Ramada Plaza Sault Ste. Marie Oj...
#8 of 18 in Sault Ste. Marie
Delta Hotels by Marriott Sault Ste. Marie Waterfront
Delta Hotels by Marriott Sault S...
#5 of 23 in Sault Ste. Marie

Been to Hometown Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!