“Not up to usual Comfort Inn Standards”

Hometown Inn and Suites
Ranked #16 of 18 Hotels in Sault Ste. Marie
Reviewed August 22, 2011

We stayed at the beginning of a cross country trip. It really needs remodeling and felt dirty as far as the bedding went. I would like to say the rest of the trip we stayed in Comfort Inns that were wonderful. (except for Winnipig-which also desperately needs an upgrade)

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Leonore1005
There are newer reviews for Hometown Inn and Suites

Reviewed July 17, 2011

I used my rewards points for this room as a stopover for a gambling trip to a nearby casino. The staff was pleasant and helpful. There was a shuttle to the Kewadin Casino that was very useful. Our room was comfortable and clean. Only problems were that the drapes don't cover the window properly and the morning sun woke us sooner than we wanted and the bed was too firm. A little more padding on the mattress was needed. The breakfast was above average, with waffles and sausage and egg patties for a sandwich. I would stay there again but ask to be on the western side of the hotel, closer to the lobby.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the lobby. This hotel is spread out.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 12, 2011

I have never written a negative review of a hotel before, but I simply HAVE to now.

Dirty, stinky, stuffy- avoid unless there is a blizzard and all other hotels are sold out in the area.

The whole place was stuffy and poorly ventilated, the carpets dirty, the bedsheets unusually scratchy and itchy, the pillows rubbery and uncomfortable. Even the hallways were of a cramped, humid "rat maze" design. One in our party received a room that smelled of cigarettes and mildew. They were all very warm and humid, the "air conditioners" (so called) faced out into a steamy, enclosed indoor pool area and pumped that humid air into the rooms. The jacuzzi tub, much like the ancient, rattling ice machine in the hallway, was in need of maintenance. The last straw was when at 4 AM the smoke detectors all started going off for no reason, and after a call to the front desk, a young man who had obviously dealt with this problem repeatedly in the past came up and removed the smoke detectors from our room. The safety, liability, and moral questions of continuing to use this malfunctioning system are beyond the scope of this review. Suffice it to say they are in dire need of maintenance, cleaning, and remodeling.

On the positive side, this hotel has a great, convenient location right next to I-75 and several stores and fast food places. That's about all I can say that is positive, unfortunately, and likely are the only reasons this run-down, flea-trap, fire-trap, stale, stuffy sauna of a hotel continues to attract the weary or desperate traveller.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank ray12387
Ryan K, Manager at Hometown Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Property CHI
Manager

Reviewed June 24, 2011

I am sorry to say that our room # 240 was one of the last rooms available due to a tour bus arriving before us. We only stayed because the price was reasonable and we were exhausted from traveling.
Room 240 smelled of urine VERY badly. An animal must have used the carpet beside the mini fridge. The bathroom tub wasn't really clean looking and the room was so very outdated. It actually had analog TV. We ordered a roll away cot for one of my teens and it came as a torn flimsy sagging in the middle mattress. I felt bad that he had to sleep on it, but it was better than the dirty floor.
The breakfast room was very small and the TV was blasting. We didn't get to talk at breakfast.
I wasn't pleased with this hotel, nor the staff.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank orangenkitty

Manager

Reviewed June 20, 2011

Was on a four day trip for our anniversary. No reservations, just basically "wandering" through the northern end of Michigan. Stopped at Comfort Inn on our 2nd day. Good value for the price paid. Had a king jacuzzi room. More than plenty of room for us. Decent bed, large sitting area included pullout couch, and table with chairs. Jacuzzie area, wet bar with microwave & fridge. Breakfast was decent as well. Only thing we would change, would be for the window which overlooked the swimming pool would be nicer if it was a sliding glass door so that the pool could be accessed directly from the room. Otherwise, no problems. This was our 3rd visit here and would stay again. Convenient shuttle to local casino was also nice.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 21, 2011

i stay at choice hotels and this was one of the nicest one the staff and management were very friendly they saw i was a diamond member and up graded me at the price of regular room i would like to take this time to personally thank the staff and management i will recomend this hotel to all my friends and coworkers.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed May 5, 2011

This was my first time staying at this hotel due to other hotels being full in the area. The room was clean and had more than enough room for our family. There were a couple wooden benches in the room that were perfect for visiting guests and luggage storage. The beds were average and the whole family slept well. I have no complaints on the bathroom and quality of amenities.

The breakfast had a very large selection with everyone's favorite thing...waffles! It also included breads, egg/sausage sandwiches, cereal, fruit, oatmeal, juices, and coffee.

The layout of the hotel in general is a little confusing at first with all the hallways, but we eventually figured it out. We utilized the pool area a lot. I know this isn't a typical compaint but the pool water was very warm. The hot tub is extremely hot and it's hard to cool off in the pool. It was a little uncomfortable. On a positive note, the hot tub is pretty large and can accommodate many adults. The pool is a decent size as well and perfect for kids. There is a sauna in the pool area that's very large as well. It's a great area for families with kids. I did find it weird that anyone could access the pool area without a room key.

The only real complaint I have is about the "exercise room." It's hard to find because it's located in a guest room. I'd suggest removing the hotel room number from the door because I felt like I was walking into somebody's room. It might be helpful to put a glass door or maybe even take off the door. Make sure you turn up the AC before you start your workout because it gets really warm in there. The equipment is not very good quality. The treadmill is pretty scary if you try running on it.

Not a huge problem, but I wish you didn't have to log into the wireless everytime you turn on your computer. 24 hour access would be better.

Hint: If you are traveling to to Soo, choose a hotel based on the ratings on this website.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends