“Good value”

Hometown Inn and Suites
Ranked #16 of 18 Hotels in Sault Ste. Marie
Reviewed June 20, 2011

Was on a four day trip for our anniversary. No reservations, just basically "wandering" through the northern end of Michigan. Stopped at Comfort Inn on our 2nd day. Good value for the price paid. Had a king jacuzzi room. More than plenty of room for us. Decent bed, large sitting area included pullout couch, and table with chairs. Jacuzzie area, wet bar with microwave & fridge. Breakfast was decent as well. Only thing we would change, would be for the window which overlooked the swimming pool would be nicer if it was a sliding glass door so that the pool could be accessed directly from the room. Otherwise, no problems. This was our 3rd visit here and would stay again. Convenient shuttle to local casino was also nice.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hometown Inn and Suites

Reviewed May 21, 2011

i stay at choice hotels and this was one of the nicest one the staff and management were very friendly they saw i was a diamond member and up graded me at the price of regular room i would like to take this time to personally thank the staff and management i will recomend this hotel to all my friends and coworkers.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed May 5, 2011

This was my first time staying at this hotel due to other hotels being full in the area. The room was clean and had more than enough room for our family. There were a couple wooden benches in the room that were perfect for visiting guests and luggage storage. The beds were average and the whole family slept well. I have no complaints on the bathroom and quality of amenities.

The breakfast had a very large selection with everyone's favorite thing...waffles! It also included breads, egg/sausage sandwiches, cereal, fruit, oatmeal, juices, and coffee.

The layout of the hotel in general is a little confusing at first with all the hallways, but we eventually figured it out. We utilized the pool area a lot. I know this isn't a typical compaint but the pool water was very warm. The hot tub is extremely hot and it's hard to cool off in the pool. It was a little uncomfortable. On a positive note, the hot tub is pretty large and can accommodate many adults. The pool is a decent size as well and perfect for kids. There is a sauna in the pool area that's very large as well. It's a great area for families with kids. I did find it weird that anyone could access the pool area without a room key.

The only real complaint I have is about the "exercise room." It's hard to find because it's located in a guest room. I'd suggest removing the hotel room number from the door because I felt like I was walking into somebody's room. It might be helpful to put a glass door or maybe even take off the door. Make sure you turn up the AC before you start your workout because it gets really warm in there. The equipment is not very good quality. The treadmill is pretty scary if you try running on it.

Not a huge problem, but I wish you didn't have to log into the wireless everytime you turn on your computer. 24 hour access would be better.

Hint: If you are traveling to to Soo, choose a hotel based on the ratings on this website.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 18, 2011

Would recommend this hotel to everyone; couples and families! Very friendly service and clean establishment. I really like the pool area.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2010

We had 2 rooms reserved, one for 2 nights and one for 3 nights. The other party checked in and their room was dirty so they went to mine until room service cleaned it. When I went to check in the hotel had changed my reservation to one night and had to change it back. I went to check out after my stay and the other party added my room for one more night so they could keep spread out. The hotel held the room the extra night with my card information and had no explanation, nor did they check me out. Then when the other party went to check out the hotel tried to get charge them for my stay as well. The other party clarified with the hotel right away but my bank account went unexplained for 5 days when the manager finally called me back after me making a complaint to Comfort Inn headquarters and calling the hotel several times. After an apology from the manager and response of poor communication they offered me 15% off my stay which at this point was slightly insulting. The manager did not feel that this was a big enough deal for any other reimbursement. The stay itself was ok but visitors beware of your reservation, check out, and billing. My family nor myself will be staying there again.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed October 23, 2010

The Comfort Inn is a pretty typical US motel, conveniently located next to I-75 in the outskirts of Sault St Marie. The Comfort Inn is an older motel with a newer section added. It has an indoor pool what we did not use. It is adequate and non-impressive. The room was of an acceptable size and clean, the bed OK, front desk staffs friendly, overall satisfactory for a one-night stay. The complimentary breakfast is modest. Shopping, Indiana Trails bus station, Applebees and fast-food restaurants are at walking distance. The motel is acceptably maintained. Sault St Marie US itself has had its best days long ago. Sault St Marie CN is a town to avoid.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed August 5, 2010

Stayed just 1 night while traveling home / going by way of Canada. Easy off / easy on I-75 and very, very close to border.
Average stay for a Comfort Inn......we had no noise problems and the breakfast was very good. Had no major problems staying at this location.
Also, 1 advantage to this hotel---- very direct & short route from it to the ship locks if you want to see them.
Would stay here again for sure!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple