“Motel that's more like a B&B!”
Review of Plaza Motor Motel

Plaza Motor Motel
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Sault Ste. Marie
Reviewed September 6, 2011

My husband and I ( & our Blue Heeler) were traveling over Labor Day weekend - we weren't sure how far we'd get after leaving Knoxville at 5:30 AM. We got into Sault St. Marie around 9 PM and then couldn't find lodging that would accept our dog. We stumbled upon the Plaza Motor Motel where my husband was told the room had not been refurbished, but he was welcome to take a look before registering. We couldn't believe the room needed refurbishing as it looked like a B&B room. Not only were the furniture, paint, and carpet in excellent condition and clean, the little touches of detail such as hand-painting on the walls were amazing. The bathroom walls had a fern pattern that was accented with raised fern motifs. And best of all for the gals, there was a little vanity area complete with a bench and a bright light. I worked in hotel convention sales for 12 years - including 5-star resorts. This little motel is truly one of the country's best-kept secrets. I already posted something on Facebook raving about it. If you're in the area, don't miss this very special place!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Sharon P

Reviewed August 22, 2011

After reading the glowing reviews by previous guests - especially as to cleanliness - we expected a spotless or near-spotless room. We didn't get that.

The bedding was worn and stained in places - sketchy-looking enough that we asked for new sheets (a request that met with indifference from the front desk attendant, though the sheets were provided). The upholstered chairs in the room would have been lovely if they'd been clean, but they were just plain dirty, with dark marks and stains all over them. Not a huge deal in practical terms, as we probably wouldn't have put them to use anyway, but it detracted from the overall appearance and feel of the somewhat small quarters.

The room was otherwise nicely appointed. The bathroom in particular was very nice and obviously has recently been given some attention and expense.

The landscaping outside the motel was beautiful, as other reviewers have noted. This is pretty clearly a point of pride with the owners, and it's well done.

The motel and the room were very quiet, even though there were plenty of other guests there when we stayed, some of whom we saw outside their rooms in the evening and again in the morning.

On the whole, it was a decent place for the money and an average room and experience. If the bedding and furniture in our room had been cleaner, we would agree with previous reviewers that it should be rated very good instead of just average.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Baker1997
Reviewed August 19, 2011

The cost was very reasonable. The room was spotless and had a fridge and microwave. They accommodated my request to be away from traffic. I don't think it mattered - after dark it's quiet as can be. Very convenient and safe location.

Room Tip: The front desk will work with you to accommodate your needs.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank GreatLakesTraveler13
Reviewed August 3, 2011

The Plaza is one of the best small, older, independent hotels I have stayed in. Right off I-75, it's convenient. All updated with new plumbing fixtures and VERY clean. A great value at about $75 per night as well. If you're in the Soo, looking for a nice place to stay and you dislike chain hotels like I do, this is the place!

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We met bikers on our Lake Superior Tour who had stayed at the Plaza, and based on their description of the motel, we called to make reservations. We were not disappointed. The motel was very reasonably priced, but it had amenities of a bed and breakfast inn. The garden was gorgeous with gazebos, a fountain, sculputes and beautiful plantings, beautifully lit at night. From what I could see, every room was decorated differently with four-poster beds in some cases, paintings, lovely wall and window treatments. The creature comforts were awesome, too -- microwaves, refrigerators, dressing rooms, and very nice beds. We stayed an extra night just to enjoy all the features.
The staff was exceptional, too. They made sure we had everything we needed, and they were helpful as we planned our excursions.
If you are traveling through Sault Ste. Marie, be sure to stay here! These people know how to run an inn.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 18, 2011

I was so looking forward to my stay at the Plaza Motor Motel and I was not disappointed. As a matter of fact, it was exactly what I hoped it would be and more. No Bed and Breakfast could have been better. My bedroom was very pretty, clean, and neat as a pin. My bathroom was so clean it sparkled and huge. Every amenity was in the place where you needed it to be. My refrigerator and my microwave were conveniently right next to the bed. The TV was up and out of the way in the corner of the room and had adequate channels with a remote that actually worked and was simple to use. The coffee pot was in the bathroom and handy for getting ready in the morning. The phone book was under the phone on a nice little table and one didn’t have to search for it. I was even able to open my window and get fresh air. Little things like this mean a lot when on vacation.

My room was so quiet, even when folks were coming and going in their rooms next to me. I loved being in a room where I had to go through the lobby, because I felt safe nestled in the hallway. There is not one thing that the owners have not thought of. Even having a way to close off the office from the hallway when folks come in after the office has closed was so helpful.

The garden across from the parking lot was lovely, and I enjoyed laying on the chaise lounge while waiting for my family to pick me up in the mornings. The gazebo, garden, and flowers themselves are exquisite and thoughtfully chosen. The home where the owner lives is beautiful and so neat and even has a picket fence.

I highly recommend the Plaza Motor Motel and hope to go again one day. The Staff could not have been nicer or more helpful. My vacation was hectic and filled with much to do, but my room at the Plaza Motor Motel became my “little haven of peace” and I had tears in my eyes when I had to leave because I had such good rest there and met such wonderful folks. I give it 5 stars plus.

Ella Mae Hale
Alabama
July, 2011

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank exquisite49
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Very clean and reception staff very helptful. Would thorougly recommend Room 112 which we were recommended by a friend.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Hampton Inn Sault Ste Marie
Hampton Inn Sault Ste Marie
#2 of 18 in Sault Ste. Marie
Ramada Plaza Sault Ste. Marie Ojibway
Ramada Plaza Sault Ste. Marie Oj...
#8 of 18 in Sault Ste. Marie
Days Inn Sault Ste Marie MI
Days Inn Sault Ste Marie MI
#11 of 18 in Sault Ste. Marie
Americas Best Value Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
#10 of 18 in Sault Ste. Marie
Delta Hotels by Marriott Sault Ste. Marie Waterfront
Delta Hotels by Marriott Sault S...
#3 of 23 in Sault Ste. Marie

Been to Plaza Motor Motel? Share your experiences!