“Excellent value”

Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Sault Ste. Marie
Cary, Illinois
“Excellent value”
Reviewed August 19, 2011

The cost was very reasonable. The room was spotless and had a fridge and microwave. They accommodated my request to be away from traffic. I don't think it mattered - after dark it's quiet as can be. Very convenient and safe location.

Room Tip: The front desk will work with you to accommodate your needs.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank GreatLakesTraveler13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Reviewed August 3, 2011

The Plaza is one of the best small, older, independent hotels I have stayed in. Right off I-75, it's convenient. All updated with new plumbing fixtures and VERY clean. A great value at about $75 per night as well. If you're in the Soo, looking for a nice place to stay and you dislike chain hotels like I do, this is the place!

• Stayed July 2011
Marshall, Missouri
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We met bikers on our Lake Superior Tour who had stayed at the Plaza, and based on their description of the motel, we called to make reservations. We were not disappointed. The motel was very reasonably priced, but it had amenities of a bed and breakfast inn. The garden was gorgeous with gazebos, a fountain, sculputes and beautiful plantings, beautifully lit at night. From what I could see, every room was decorated differently with four-poster beds in some cases, paintings, lovely wall and window treatments. The creature comforts were awesome, too -- microwaves, refrigerators, dressing rooms, and very nice beds. We stayed an extra night just to enjoy all the features.
The staff was exceptional, too. They made sure we had everything we needed, and they were helpful as we planned our excursions.
If you are traveling through Sault Ste. Marie, be sure to stay here! These people know how to run an inn.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed July 18, 2011

I was so looking forward to my stay at the Plaza Motor Motel and I was not disappointed. As a matter of fact, it was exactly what I hoped it would be and more. No Bed and Breakfast could have been better. My bedroom was very pretty, clean, and neat as a pin. My bathroom was so clean it sparkled and huge. Every amenity was in the place where you needed it to be. My refrigerator and my microwave were conveniently right next to the bed. The TV was up and out of the way in the corner of the room and had adequate channels with a remote that actually worked and was simple to use. The coffee pot was in the bathroom and handy for getting ready in the morning. The phone book was under the phone on a nice little table and one didn’t have to search for it. I was even able to open my window and get fresh air. Little things like this mean a lot when on vacation.

My room was so quiet, even when folks were coming and going in their rooms next to me. I loved being in a room where I had to go through the lobby, because I felt safe nestled in the hallway. There is not one thing that the owners have not thought of. Even having a way to close off the office from the hallway when folks come in after the office has closed was so helpful.

The garden across from the parking lot was lovely, and I enjoyed laying on the chaise lounge while waiting for my family to pick me up in the mornings. The gazebo, garden, and flowers themselves are exquisite and thoughtfully chosen. The home where the owner lives is beautiful and so neat and even has a picket fence.

I highly recommend the Plaza Motor Motel and hope to go again one day. The Staff could not have been nicer or more helpful. My vacation was hectic and filled with much to do, but my room at the Plaza Motor Motel became my “little haven of peace” and I had tears in my eyes when I had to leave because I had such good rest there and met such wonderful folks. I give it 5 stars plus.

Ella Mae Hale
Alabama
July, 2011

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank exquisite49
Millau
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Very clean and reception staff very helptful. Would thorougly recommend Room 112 which we were recommended by a friend.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HelenMillau_France
Reviewed June 5, 2011

We picked the motel on a whim. My husband liked the set-up outside so we decided to ask them for a room. The price was amazingly low ($47.00 plus tax) yet our room was well decorated and the bed was very comfortable so we got a good night's sleep out of the deal. The owner also gave us a very good suggestion on where to eat at. Afterward, since we could see the lock from the restaurant's window, we went over to tour the place and then watched a big ship go through later on. It was a great experience all around. I would highly recommend the Plaza to anyone who would like to find a place to stay in Sault Ste Marie, MI.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MO-triker
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed September 20, 2010

Booked the room online and everything was in perfect order when we arrived. We were met by the owner, an extremely pleasant person who gave us great dining advice. The room was decorated in the victorian style and done so nicely it received an "oh my" when first entered. The cleanliness is without question. I mean CLEAN folks. The king size bed was very comfortable and we slept almost as if we were at home. The shower had more than enough pressure and hot water to relax the tired back muscles from a day in the car. In the morning, we took advantage of the in-room Wolfgang Puck coffee. It tasted great. We stayed two nights and the room was well cleaned while we were out riding the Algoma Central color train. And lastly, all this for a very reasonable 67.00 per night. Trust me, you can believe all the great reviews you'll find for the Plaza Motor Motel. This motel IS NOT a "destination" motel with screaming wet kids running for the pool, drunken college students staggering back from the bar, or a "free" continental breakfast that is included in that 110.00 room. This wonderful place IS the cleanest, the nicest, and the best value room you'll ever find anywhere....period.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Best Western Sault Ste. Marie
Best Western Sault Ste. Marie
#2 of 18 in Sault Ste. Marie
Ramada Plaza Sault Ste. Marie Ojibway
Ramada Plaza Sault Ste. Marie Oj...
#8 of 18 in Sault Ste. Marie
Days Inn Sault Ste Marie MI
Days Inn Sault Ste Marie MI
#13 of 18 in Sault Ste. Marie
Americas Best Value Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
#10 of 18 in Sault Ste. Marie
Delta Hotels by Marriott Sault Ste. Marie Waterfront
Delta Hotels by Marriott Sault S...
#5 of 23 in Sault Ste. Marie

Been to Plaza Motor Motel? Share your experiences!