“Decent one night stay”

Super 8 Sault Ste. Marie
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Sault Ste. Marie
Reviewed August 3, 2010

We stayed at the Park Inn for one night. What we liked about the hotel, our room was very clean, the pool area is very nice, breakfast was ok. The pool has the saline water, so there's no chlorine. What was just ok about the hotel, it's seemed cheaply made, thin walls, basic rooms. There were stains on the carpet in the hallways and the hallway to our room had a strange odor, but it went away, but again the room was fine. Staff seemed friendly and for families wanting a nice pool, I talked to a mom with a couple of kids and they were in the pool in the evening and next morning, it's perfect for the low price (we booked on the hotel website). Would recommend to someone wanting something inexpensive with a pool.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
parkinnsami, General Manager at Super 8 Sault Ste. Marie, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2010

Thank you for your review of the hotel. We have been making updates to the hotel in regards to the carpeting and some other places. Thank you for bringing it to our attention though. Sometimes these things can get overlooked.

Reviewed July 31, 2010

We really liked this hotel. We stayed in a room that had a kitchenette. It was a really reasonable price, roughly $80 per night during the week. We stayed two nights. It had 2 beds and a pull-out couch. The bathroom was nice and a good size. The pool area was nice. The breakfast was decent. If you are traveling with a family, I would really recommend staying in this room (especially with the kitchenette). My hubby and the kids played cards on the kitchen table and I watched TV in the bedroom. It was great.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family

Thank you for the compliment on our one bedroom suite with a kitchenette. This is truly a great room for a family that is staying at least a couple days.

Reviewed July 23, 2010

We stayed at this location at the very end of June when heading south and about 12 days later on the return trip. We needed a location that was wheelchair accessible.

A staff member true to her word called me back the next day relative to the size & accessibility within the washroom. Many sites may say they are wheelchair accessible but all are not. This was.

We had 2 side by side rooms and the hospitality was friendly upon checking in. The rooms were very clean, comfortable & pretty basic. The beds could have been better and the sheets are pretty thin indeed. The year before I had been at a Travelodge in London Ontario and the room layout was exact and I mean exact right down to the shape of the bathroom & location of the TV up on a mantle. Interesting.

There is a nice indoor swimming pool & hottub, use of the computer/internet in the lobby and a small breakfast nook where the food was not too bad and would get you going for the day.

If you are looking five star, this is not the place. If you want a clean, quiet & comfortable location that gives you good value for your $$, I would not hesitate in recommending this location or staying again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family

Thank you for your compliment of our hotel. It is very nice to hear you comment on how a member of our staff went above and beyond to measure the widths of entries for our wheelchair accessible room.

Reviewed January 28, 2010

What a great place to stay. We went there on a trip with a kids hockey team. So while it was loud , and crazy . It was also nice. During the day they let the kids be kids...even played with them. If they got too loud, they very kindley asked us to quiet down. The hotel was very clean too. The only complaint If I had to have one was that the rooms were small.
But if you want a clean, well located hotel with an AWESOME staff this is the place to go. And very inexpenisive to too

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
parkinnsami, General Manager at Super 8 Sault Ste. Marie, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2010

Thank you very much for the great rating on TripAdvisor. We could not have asked for better kids and parents staying at the hotel. We look forward to seeing you guys next year for the same weekend and hopefully most of the same kids. Personally, I am a sucker for stick hockey in the hall ways when it comes to having such great kids around. Best of luck for the rest of the season!

Reviewed October 21, 2009

We selected the Park Inn after we decided to visit SSM due to their room price -- it was significantly lower than the other options available. Truly free wireless (Red Roof Inn, for example, charged for their wireless Internet), a free (though no-frills) breakfast, and an indoor pool and spa closed the deal. The room itself was apparently the only non-smoking room in the hallway and it was a bit small, but our weekend getaway didn't involve much time in the hotel. The only other thing that might influence other prospective clients (whether positively or negatively is up to you) is their pet-friendly policy.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2009

Very good 3 day special weekend rate(friday-monday),comp breakfast good but could use some fresh fruit. Location good for Soo sites and day trip to Munising. Room and hotel clean,salt water pool and whirlpool best we've been in. Hotel staff very courteous and helpful..

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2009

I made a reservation for two nights at this hotel for the first weekend in Sept09 - Labor Day. The hotel was rated on TripAdvisor in general pretty good and I thought to give it a try, I made my reservation online with Park Inn for a non-smoking room and I got the confirmation and seemed that everything would be all great. I arrived at the hotel around 6 PM on Saturday and went to check in. However, the girl at the Reception said that they have only a smoking room left for me. I said that I have a confirmation for a non-smoking room and I would not be able to stay in a smoking one. She suggested checking other motels in the area since the other hotels in the area, by now, might be all fully booked. She said that she will be canceling the reservation with full refund if I don't come back by 7 PM.

Sure enough I had to go and look for another place to stay and found a decent motel with a non-smoking room that was more expensive.

When I checked my credit card statement a few days later, sure enough there was a one-night charge for Park Inn. I called the hotel and they said that probably the girl forgot to cancel the reservation. I was told they will be working on posting a credit to my credit card. One week later and there is no credit. I contacted through e-mail the main Park Inn office and I was assured they will be passing the request to the hotel and I will be credited. A few days later and still no credit. Now I will probably have to dispute the charge.

So, although I never got to stay at this hotel, I was disappointed with the handling of my reservation. Therefore I would not recommend this hotel and can't rate it well at all. Also because of them I had to stay in lesser conditions and pay more money for that. I did not even get an apology from anyone at Park Inn or their customer service.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
parkinnsami, General Manager at Super 8 Sault Ste. Marie, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2009

We appreciate this customer taking the time to write a review on our hotel. Due to a mix up with this reservation we had been overbooked and this guest received the wrong room type. We hope you understand that mistakes do happen occasionally, although we try our best to take care of our online customers.

The late cancel fee has been refunded with our sincere apologies.