“Tight, Overpriced B&B”
Review of Wickwood Inn

Wickwood Inn
Ranked #6 of 19 Saugatuck B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 30, 2008

My family and I stayed in two rooms at the Wickwood Inn, the Swedish Cottage and the The Vineyard roms, May 31st - June 2nd. We've been looking forward to the stay especially with my mother-in-law being a home economics teacher and fan of Julee Rosso. The rooms we found very tight, especially the Swedish Cottage. It was not a tasteful retreat but packed with stuff, a worn carpet, and a dirty, exceptionally tight bathroom. Except for the two first floor rooms, with a tight entry...forget about accessibility. Then, coming out of the room one evening, there was water pouring down from the upstairs room into the front hallway. This is a major warning that there can be mold between the floor joists. The innkeeper simply said no worries...this happens when the upstairs shower is running. Has this place been inspected?

The living areas, in front were very nice and cozy. I enjoyed those spaces much more, when it was not crammed with guests devouring the evening appetizers. I'm not going to deny that they weren't great, but get there on time or there's none left. Breakfast on the other hand was very tasty...the breakfasts servings, albeit served buffet, were terrific and unique.

The highlights were the breakfasts, relaxing living room space and a great setting--Saugatuck. Downside is I do not believe the $325+/night cost was worthy of the conditions and cleanliness in the hotel. Next time, we're going to look for a more spacious, cleaner B&B for a better price in Saugatuck.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank Wahoowa_ND

Reviewed July 28, 2008

Wickwood Inn - Saugatuck, Michigan
July, 2008
We stayed at the Inn for three nights in July. We traveled with dear friends for his birthday. None of us had been to Saugatuck before and it was totally delightful.
The Inn is beautiful and beautifully run. The rooms were very accommodating and tastfully furnished. Each is different to add to the interest.
The food was very good - and always fresh. The breakfast choices were different each day . The afternoon and evening snacks were always delicious.
Most of all we appreciated the staff. There is a different innkeeper each day and they were all so friendly and made us feel very welcome and free to ask for anything.
The grounds are beautiful - there is an outdoor courtyard and a wonderful screened porch.
The close proximity to Saugatuck and its stores and restaurants was wonderful. We walked everywhere.
We would highly recommend the Inn.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 13, 2008

This is Michigan's best!! It is for traveler's who value esthetics and you could easily be on the Left Bank of Paris or chic London at the Wickwood. The rooms are fabulous in terms of design and comfort and the service/food are among the best I have seen throught the USA and Europe. It is not a typical American Inn and the price reflects more an elegant escape into style and culture than some may prefer, but of all the Select Registry inns we have stayed, it is our number one pick. We had a bottle of champagne in the gardens on a peaceful weekend afternoon and read from the magnificant collection of books at the inn. The rooms are so incredibly comfortable that even sleeping is enjoyable and the staff are fabulous, If you want art, fine cusine, and to be surrounded with style, go to the Wickwood. This was our third trip and we will return many times again. Lance and Laura Trexer, Zionsville, Indiana

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 5, 2008

We wanted a fun mother-daughter weekend at a luxury B&B, but were we in for a shock! We arrived at the 3pm check-in time & our room wasn't ready. We were shown to a sitting room and waited until they finished "cleaning" our room. When we were shown to the Swedish Cottage room, what a dissappointment. Very small - couldn't even walk around the bed. Smelled stale and dirty. Bedspread was old and in need of a good washing. (The bed was actually a feather bed as claimed and comfortable)

Tried to open the windows & the screens were torn so much you could put your entire hand through (garden full of mosquitoes right outside the window!!) New screens are so inexpensive -- you would think for $350 a nite, they could afford to replace the screens. The bathroom was so small the door opened into the bathroom and hit the toilet. You had to squeeze in behind the toilet to open the door or you would stub your toe! The room was also very dirty and dark.

Now on to the food. The website claimed all this wonderful food and delites for the palate! We were hoping for a nice treat to refresh us after our drive to the Inn. The coffee was cold. The cookies and "treats" were so tiny, you needed a microscope to see them. I can't even figure out how they could make dime-sized cookies! Quite a talent there. And there was not abundant food -- it was very carefully measured out so you would not eat too many. Tried to get a cold drink with ice -- the ice was so old and all frozen together in the freezer which was grossly in need of defrosting, so bad the freezer door could not close. We were told hors' douves would be at 6pm. I guess that was the best part of the food as they were tasty (although certainly not plentiful). Then we were told there would be brownies and brandy before bed. Well, the brownies turned out to be teeny, tiny peanut butter fudge pieces (not brownies at all) and I think the brandy was Vicks Formula 44 cough syrup! It sure tasted like it. We were still hoping breakfast would measure up to the claims. One mark of a good B&B is the how the coffee tastes. It was terrible and lukewarm. Food was sparse and all sweet things. Cake, sweet bread pudding, a fruit cup with a teaspoon of yogurt & a pinch of granola on top. Where was the frittata with asparagus and healthy abundant fruit and hearty foods the website said we would receive? The only good thing about breakfast was the mimosa (orange juice & champagne) we were served. This was so not worth the money. I am a seasoned traveler and have stayed in over 50 B&Bs. I would not recommend this B&B to anyone. Save your money & go to a Hampton Inn instead.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
6  Thank MichiganSammie
Reviewed June 2, 2008

BEWARE!!! This whole thing was a TERRIBLE experience. I made reservations for one night and was not told about any kind of cancellation policy. Within one day the entire $400 room fee was immediately charged to my credit card. Two days later I found another place I liked better and called to cancel my reservation. They informed me they had a $30 cancellation fee even though I was cancelling 90 days in advance. I told them I was not told there was a cancellation fee when I made the reservations and they argued with me and told me that I was, even though I wasn't speaking to the same person I had originally made the reservations with. Not only was I not told of the cancellation policy, but I wasn't even told how much the room was going to be when I booked it. Anyway, I cancelled the reservation and one month later they had still not credited the $400 to my credit card, even after repeated phone calls and emails in which they promised the amount would be refunded. This is poor and dishonest customer service. Eventually I had to file a dispute with my credit card company to have the charges removed. Not only should there have NOT been a cancellation fee for someone cancelling three months in advance, but I have NEVER had someone charge my credit card for the full amount of the room before I checked in. Then to not refund it...Well, I think this bed and breakfast speaks for itself.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
10  Thank KadaLacey
Reviewed February 15, 2008

What a wonderful three days we just spent at Wickwood Inn! We were greeted warmly by the innkeeper, who truly went out of her way to make us feel special. We were given a tour, and wonderful refreshments after our long drive, then relaxed in the well appointed room. At six, we enjoyed (greatly) a wonderful array of appetizers. The next morning our breakfast was indescribably great and bountiful (so much so that I skipped lunch)! The next day was much the same, great hospitality and great food. Winter at Wickwood is incredibly relaxing, there are fireplaces burning and plenty of reading material available. I would highly recommend the Wickwood Inn.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2008

This is a Select Registry inn, so we expected world class service and amenities. Unfortunately, things got off to a "cold" start. We rang the doorbell about 5 times and didn't get an answer. Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad, but it was below zero outside! After the innkeeper finally answered the door, she seemed annoyed that we had resorted to knocking loudly--but we honestly did not know if the doorbell was working or not and it was 5pm. Instead of letting us settle in, she walked us around a crowded room of guests who were enjoying appetizers during a cocktail hour. It was very awkward!

The innkeeper never introduced herself or welcomed us...didn't let us know what we should do if we needed anything and forgot to tell us when breakfast was to be served.

But we persevered. Despite the service, despite the thin walls.

The Wickwood Inn is a nice place located in the heart of a great little city, but the warm welcome and hospitality were missing. Maybe it was our timing...but for the price we paid, it would have been great to feel welcomed and appreciated.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank LikeLegos
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saugatuck
2 mi away
#12 of 19 in Saugatuck
Twin Oaks Inn
Twin Oaks Inn
#1 of 19 in Saugatuck

Been to Wickwood Inn? Share your experiences!