“Shoulda stayed at Hampton Inn!!”
Review of Wickwood Inn

Wickwood Inn
Ranked #6 of 24 Saugatuck B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 5, 2008

We wanted a fun mother-daughter weekend at a luxury B&B, but were we in for a shock! We arrived at the 3pm check-in time & our room wasn't ready. We were shown to a sitting room and waited until they finished "cleaning" our room. When we were shown to the Swedish Cottage room, what a dissappointment. Very small - couldn't even walk around the bed. Smelled stale and dirty. Bedspread was old and in need of a good washing. (The bed was actually a feather bed as claimed and comfortable)

Tried to open the windows & the screens were torn so much you could put your entire hand through (garden full of mosquitoes right outside the window!!) New screens are so inexpensive -- you would think for $350 a nite, they could afford to replace the screens. The bathroom was so small the door opened into the bathroom and hit the toilet. You had to squeeze in behind the toilet to open the door or you would stub your toe! The room was also very dirty and dark.

Now on to the food. The website claimed all this wonderful food and delites for the palate! We were hoping for a nice treat to refresh us after our drive to the Inn. The coffee was cold. The cookies and "treats" were so tiny, you needed a microscope to see them. I can't even figure out how they could make dime-sized cookies! Quite a talent there. And there was not abundant food -- it was very carefully measured out so you would not eat too many. Tried to get a cold drink with ice -- the ice was so old and all frozen together in the freezer which was grossly in need of defrosting, so bad the freezer door could not close. We were told hors' douves would be at 6pm. I guess that was the best part of the food as they were tasty (although certainly not plentiful). Then we were told there would be brownies and brandy before bed. Well, the brownies turned out to be teeny, tiny peanut butter fudge pieces (not brownies at all) and I think the brandy was Vicks Formula 44 cough syrup! It sure tasted like it. We were still hoping breakfast would measure up to the claims. One mark of a good B&B is the how the coffee tastes. It was terrible and lukewarm. Food was sparse and all sweet things. Cake, sweet bread pudding, a fruit cup with a teaspoon of yogurt & a pinch of granola on top. Where was the frittata with asparagus and healthy abundant fruit and hearty foods the website said we would receive? The only good thing about breakfast was the mimosa (orange juice & champagne) we were served. This was so not worth the money. I am a seasoned traveler and have stayed in over 50 B&Bs. I would not recommend this B&B to anyone. Save your money & go to a Hampton Inn instead.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
6  Thank MichiganSammie

Reviewed June 2, 2008

BEWARE!!! This whole thing was a TERRIBLE experience. I made reservations for one night and was not told about any kind of cancellation policy. Within one day the entire $400 room fee was immediately charged to my credit card. Two days later I found another place I liked better and called to cancel my reservation. They informed me they had a $30 cancellation fee even though I was cancelling 90 days in advance. I told them I was not told there was a cancellation fee when I made the reservations and they argued with me and told me that I was, even though I wasn't speaking to the same person I had originally made the reservations with. Not only was I not told of the cancellation policy, but I wasn't even told how much the room was going to be when I booked it. Anyway, I cancelled the reservation and one month later they had still not credited the $400 to my credit card, even after repeated phone calls and emails in which they promised the amount would be refunded. This is poor and dishonest customer service. Eventually I had to file a dispute with my credit card company to have the charges removed. Not only should there have NOT been a cancellation fee for someone cancelling three months in advance, but I have NEVER had someone charge my credit card for the full amount of the room before I checked in. Then to not refund it...Well, I think this bed and breakfast speaks for itself.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
10  Thank KadaLacey
Reviewed February 15, 2008

What a wonderful three days we just spent at Wickwood Inn! We were greeted warmly by the innkeeper, who truly went out of her way to make us feel special. We were given a tour, and wonderful refreshments after our long drive, then relaxed in the well appointed room. At six, we enjoyed (greatly) a wonderful array of appetizers. The next morning our breakfast was indescribably great and bountiful (so much so that I skipped lunch)! The next day was much the same, great hospitality and great food. Winter at Wickwood is incredibly relaxing, there are fireplaces burning and plenty of reading material available. I would highly recommend the Wickwood Inn.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2008

This is a Select Registry inn, so we expected world class service and amenities. Unfortunately, things got off to a "cold" start. We rang the doorbell about 5 times and didn't get an answer. Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad, but it was below zero outside! After the innkeeper finally answered the door, she seemed annoyed that we had resorted to knocking loudly--but we honestly did not know if the doorbell was working or not and it was 5pm. Instead of letting us settle in, she walked us around a crowded room of guests who were enjoying appetizers during a cocktail hour. It was very awkward!

The innkeeper never introduced herself or welcomed us...didn't let us know what we should do if we needed anything and forgot to tell us when breakfast was to be served.

But we persevered. Despite the service, despite the thin walls.

The Wickwood Inn is a nice place located in the heart of a great little city, but the warm welcome and hospitality were missing. Maybe it was our timing...but for the price we paid, it would have been great to feel welcomed and appreciated.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank LikeLegos
Reviewed January 7, 2008

My wife and I needed to get away for a weekend after a hectic holiday season with 2 young toddlers at home. We were looking for a quiet town and someone to pamper us for the weekend. We found it here...BIG TIME!!
I was surprised to read some of the other reviews on this board. Though the rooms are not huge, that is what adds to the quaintness of the whole experience. And the staff was just fantastic. Maybe they have made personnel changes since the other reviewers have stayed, because this innkeeper and the cleaning staff were so very kind and accommodating. They always took time out to stop and talk to us, and make sure to ask if there was anything they could do for us. Maybe it helped that it was the winter time and there were only 4 or 5 rooms booked out of 11. But nonetheless, they provided us with exactly what we needed. QUIET COMFORT!!
We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kellerab
Reviewed December 26, 2007

My husband and I, along with our friends, are travel junkies and have stayed in all types of hotels, inns, b and b's, huts, cabins, shanties, etc., over the past 30 years and all over the world, and have learned to "roll with the punches". We live in Chicago and wanted a get away for our New Year celebration and booked the Wickwood on the "spur of the moment" and did not take the time to explore this or other similar websites. Being prepared to be flexible and without expectations, we were immediately captivated by the charm of the setting. Everything from the evergreen garland adoring the entire Inn reminded us of those Currier and Ives paintings and Christmas cards. Upon entering we were overwhelmed by the warmth of the Inn Keepers and the immediate courtesy and kindness offered. The room was well appointed and though the bathroom was small (after all this is a vintage experience) we were taken back to a period when we all took time to breathe and relax. As we prepared for the evening, we were amazed by the bounty of evening appetizers and bottles of wine awaiting our pleasure. The fire gave the parlor a wonderful glow and other guests there were already relaxed and welcoming as we joined them for conversation. The vintage dishes and glassware provided the perfect touch and with full tummies, we decided to cancel our dinner reservations and stay here for the evening, and read, play games or continue to enjoy the conversation. We woke the next day and felt ready for a day of fun and exploration. We quickly dressed and made our way to the parlor once again for the coffee, tea and juice along with expecting the typical light "continental breakfast". But no, the breakfast was a full breakfast with so many choices that we had no idea what to sample first. Again, amazing. The antique breakfast dishes, crystal stemware and bone and sterling flatware were impeccable. We actually did not even need lunch with this breakfast feast. Our celebration closed after our dinner at a local restaurant and we returned to the Wickwood just in time to pick up the complimentary New Year Eve party hats, streamers and noise makers. We had one of the best celebrations ever. What fun and delight. By the by, we are anticipating another New Year Eve celebration at the Wickwood this year. Come on and join us next year cause we will all return to the Wickwood.

• Stayed: December 2006
2  Thank jpoehlman
Reviewed October 21, 2007

I have to admit I have never felt compelled to write a bad review before, but after staying at the Wickwood Inn for our anniversary weekend this review is deserved. I am late in posting this review. I recently discovered this web site. We did book their best suite on the property.

The breakdown begins with deceptive advertising. The on-line brochure and website depict a well looked after B & B. The rooms are described as cozy, comfortable with SPA products. Let's begin here. The rooms are in a state of decay. The Bed we had was very old and worn, not comfortable at all. The lamp shades were torn and dusty. In fact the entire room needed a very good cleaning. The Bathroom reminded me of my first college apt. bathroom. SMALL, DIRTY and the SPA products consisted of soap and shampoo from Walmart (I think?). The faucet dripped all night.

The next day was not much better. I asked the housekeeping for 1 extra pillow and I was told they have no more pillows. For over $400.00 per night I would suggest you go purchase a pillow to accommodate your guests.

The meals, well there are no meals except Breakfast, are okay. The brochure eludes one to believe that the owners will be there meeting the guests and preparing some food. The whole section on their web site of having gourmet experience and authoring cookbooks builds up a certain level of excitement. We never saw or met the owners, or experienced any of their food. The late afternoon snacks were store bought cookies, pastries, etc... and cheap drinks.

The information presented in their advertisements implies that this B & B is very elegant with Simon Pierce flatware and steam ware? Again not true. The flatware had plastic handles; the stemware was very used and inexpensive.

You get the idea. This is deceptive advertising at a very premium price. If the rooms were around $150 to $200 per night one would have a different expectation of the quality of service.

My wife and I are not picky people. We go with the flow and enjoy life. However, when you spend close to $1,000.00 for a weekend get-away and experience what we did it compels a bad review.
We would not stay here again for so many reasons. I suggest you do the same.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple