“Lovely, with reservations (pun absolutely intended)”
Review of Wickwood Inn

Wickwood Inn
Ranked #6 of 24 Saugatuck B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Our "Picasso" room had a decor that reflected it's name and was very nicely appointed. We would have preferred two chairs and a reading lamp to the long bench, though, and the bedside lamps were not adequate for pre-sleep reading. The bathroom was small, but the shower was good, and the over-the-sink shelf allowed for a few toiletries to be kept. Because we were not on a particular schedule the later (9am) breakfast wasn't a problem and we did appreciate the fact that coffee was available outside our door by 7:30. Breakfast was more-than-adequate with a nice variety each day. Evening hors d'oeurves were a lovely plus and gave us a bit of a chance to chat with other guests. There were two outdoor garden areas that were particularly nice either for breakfast or just sitting in the afternoon. Saugatuk itself was a pleasant place to stay for a couple of days and the staff at the inn was so accommodating in helping us select restaurants and activities. It was an easy walk to shops, restaurants (of which there are many) and boat rentals, the amphibious "duck" and the cable ferry. It was quite expensive, but it was also a holiday weekend when the prices were at their peak.

Room Tip: (swimming pool was not "terrible" but non-existent. System would not allow me to erase th...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 20, 2012

This was our 1st B&B experience. It was everything we expected and more. We stayed in "The Christy" room, a large suite with an array of furniture that some may think of as over-furnished but I thought charming and well put together. The common areas include a dining room, small enclosed and large open porch, and a couple rooms with a library feel to them. There is ample room to share the inn with 20+ other guests and not feel like your sharing the same space.

Food was delicious with a large breakfast and hors d'oeuvres at 6pm.

I've read some of the negative reviews and agree that the bathroom is small, there is no TV, and the price is high.

I can't wait to return to the Wickwood Inn next summer!!

Reviewed August 20, 2012

I booked this B&B because I knew about the Silver Palate company. I was very disappointed. I stayed in the Junior Villa Suite for $305/night. The bed in the room is soft, the chairs on either side of the fireplace were uncomfortable and the food just average. I was glad I only stayed for 1 night. The bathroom was very small - the sink was miniature, the toilet sat very close to the tub, the shower head in the tub was the generic kind you find in a starter home and was set so low my husband had to bend down to rinse his hair. The breakfast buffet was okay but there is so much furniture in the breakfast room that it was hard to move around the room. The biggest plus for this inn is that it has its own parking lot and it is located right in town.

3  Thank TERRI SCHWARTZ
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I wanted to contact the owners before posting this but found no "contact us" information on their website. The food is fabulous, without a doubt the best B&B food I have had but I wake at 5:30 and breakfast isn't until 9 am (coffee at 7) so I always went out for coffee. Every breakfast and appetizer event was 5 to10 minutes late which for some may be picky but it bothered me. That could all be overlooked if the room was prepared for people to stay in it. Our room was 300 each night on a weeknight. It had no drawers. There was no place to put our suitcases, no place in the bathroom for any toiletries, only one towel bar for 4 towels, stacks of their books by the bed but no place for mine. No place to put the decorative pillows at bedtime. We came to relax and we did, the lack of a TV in the room was a bonus, the stereo and CDs a great alternative. Lighting throughout was NOT conducive to reading. They need some IKEA tiny reading lights or bring your own. Gardens, screened porch, and staff, lovely.

4  Thank Simplyggod
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Wickwood is one of the very finest B&B's I've ever had the privilege to enjoy. Perfectly located and beautifully appointed, Wickwood was beautiful, serene and restful. Our room, as well as the common rooms, were so comfortable and pleasing to the eye. The service was very friendly and responsive. I especially enjoyed the generous breakfast outside in the garden. I am looking forward to staying at Wickwood again soon!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I stayed here for a few days with my boyfriend, and we loved it. It is beautiful, serene, cozy and all-around lovely. We stayed in a very comfortable room in a giant comfortable bed. Each morning, the breakfasts were delicious and homemade. The hors d'ouvres in the evening were equally as delicious.

As for the decor- admittedly, I wouldn't decorate my home this way, but it was so fun for a weekend getaway. I cannot wait to go back.

Room Tip: I stayed in room with mostly red decor, and it was lovely.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Eleanor K
Reviewed July 12, 2012

My business partners and I chose Wickwood for a small business brainstorming retreat last week. The four of us agree that we made a great choice and we should return quarterly. We were hesitant as a B&B was not on our radar, but friends assured us that it would be perfect. We all travel for pleasure and do business internationally and we were dubious but once we arrived our hesitation proved archaic thinking. This was fantastic and has quickly displaced many of our previous favorite destinations. It was peaceful and relaxing, we had all of the privacy we needed and the golf was great. Then there were the Breakfasts and the nightly appetizers. We're all used to 4 star restaurants and we barely had to go to dinner. All agreed that this was one of the most effective and pleasing "working retreats" that we've ever participated in. We're all coming back with our wives soon.

Room Tip: WE were in Kyoto,Villa,Christy,and Lodge. All were spacious and provided room enough for private me...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank George G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saugatuck
Hampton Inn Holland
#1 of 24 in Saugatuck
Maplewood Hotel
Maplewood Hotel
#12 of 24 in Saugatuck

Been to Wickwood Inn? Share your experiences!