“Great Food.Great People. Great Location. Lovely.Loved It!!”
Review of Wickwood Inn

Wickwood Inn
Ranked #6 of 24 Saugatuck B&B and Inns
Austin, Texas
“Great Food.Great People. Great Location. Lovely.Loved It!!”
Reviewed April 21, 2012

This is our fifth visit to Wickwood and I feel compelled to share our secret escape with others.. It's too good to be kept secret. Each time we visit it is such a memorable experience. We simply love spending time in this beautiful Inn with it's exceptional food, ambience and hospitality. The attention to detail is evident everywhere and our Innkeepers have attend to our every wish. We have felt extremely relaxed and pampered, We cannot say enough good things about the Wickwood and as we travel around the world (we're retired) we often compare other lodging establishments to Wickwood. None seem to have it all. We talked to other guests who have been visiting for each of their anniversaries for 23 years and we've decided that it will be our annual celebration for we want more Wickwood experiences. We have now been here for each of the seasons and are amazed at how there is always more to do in Saugatuck than we can possible fit into our three day weekends. We simply loved being at Wickwood.

Room Tip: Each time we have stayed in a different room and have had the best nights sleep ever. We think it...
1 Thank Sally M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Pownal
Reviewed April 16, 2012

We have just returned from a most unexpected, glorious reprieve
of our arduous trek from Boca Raton, Florida to our summer home in Pownal, Maine. Every year we include some "unchartered" areas to our trip home from our winter excursions, and this year, Saugatuck and Wickwood Inn made the grade! Wickwood Inn came highly recommended from some dear friends and it was beyond expectations!!!
Having been a fan of the Silver Palate cookbooks, (It was my first cookbook!) I was so excited to experience first hand an Inn owned by one of its authors! It did not disappoint!! The atmosphere is serendipity! The art, sculpture and drawings are exquisite....every nook and cranny has an artistic charm that you can spend hours enjoying!So many incredible books (in case you forgot your favorite!) Our room was a bit small, but extremely comfortable and so relaxing.The decor of the Matisse is first class! The pointments in the room are lovely! So reminded me of our stay at La Colmbe d'Or in the south of France!.We enjoyed the living area so much, we spent most of our time by the roaring fire, reading and conversing with other guests..... The food was superb! I was especially fond of the sweets in the afternoon and later in the evening! So decadent! The evening appetizers were delicious and very bountiful..we did not need a large meal after, just a lovely stroll down the main street and a nightcap at Phil's, a great little local bar and grill. Breakfast was fabulous! Blueberry french toast and the best homemade granola! Staff is very friendly, attentive and helpful, every detail is carefully addressed. I ended up purchasing 2 more cookbooks so I could try to recreate some of the memories when I get home! All in all, it was a wonderful, relaxing stay in a most interesting little town! We will definitely return and will highly recommend to all we meet on our future journeys......

1 Thank travelingtutus
Holland, Michigan, United States
Reviewed April 13, 2012

My hubby and I were looking for a retirement home in west Mi. and spent several different nights at the Inn while househunting. Our stays could not have been better. The staff was great, even leaving out little treats when we got back late and serving us breakfast early when we had to leave early. We were both raised in old houses and love the surprises they often offer and yes, sometimes even the "old" smell. We have stayed in many B&B's out East and the Wickwood would rate with them...it's something one expects from an old house and part of the charm.
The food was super and they even made us some extras to accomadate a food allergy..we didn't expect that and had not mentioned it when we made the reservation so it was above and beyond.
Yes, some of the bathrooms are a little small but I have had smaller ones out East. Again, it is a charming old house.
My only regret is that now that we live so close we won't be back as often but I will recommend it to my friends.

Room Tip: We found the corner rooms sunny
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Rob B
innsbrook
Reviewed April 8, 2012

A recent stay at this much praised inn was not as impressive as reviewed. It is nice but certainly not a Ritz Carlton for the rates charged. Every surface of the room and common room is covered with tschoikees: statues, artificial flowers, whatever. The shower had THREE different curtains AND a valance (that is three rods). It had a molded fixture and needed a new shower head as well. While the high ceiling was nice, some soundproofing would have saved us from the overhead couples intimacies.
Yes, the food was delightful and varied. The common rooms and stairs are smaller than they appear in the photos.. so it feels a bit jammed.
Most of the staff were very pleasant--Gretchen and Heather much more so.
Good location, clean place.. just not what one would expect for the rates: needs an update, purge of nicknacks, add more outlets...
Be SURE to walk through the state park to the beach. A glorious place.

Room Tip: If you don't mind stairs, at least upstairs you would not hear your overhead neighbors. VERY SM...
3 Thank westswon
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 3, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Wickwood Inn again last weekend, and, as usual, it was just perfect. Gretchen, Heather, and Betty, the inn keepers, made sure we felt welcome and prepared the most delicious treats, appetizers, and breakfast during our stay. Betty helped wi local restaurant reservations- thank goodness, because on that cold February weekend, the restaurants in town were packed! At brekfast I have never seen the Inn so full before, yet we felt like we had the place to ourselves during the day. Wickwood, we can't wait to come back again!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
cincinnati
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Stayed 3 nights the week before Christmas - midweek - and was given a small discount 1 night since there was only 1 other couple in the inn We ended up realizing the other 2 nights were shared with 1 couple one night, and 2 the other - felt a little deceived. In any case, the room was very nice, the bathroom tiny, and the breakfast delicious. The 'common' rooms were very nice & cozy, and the inn had a very nice general feel to it. Just too pricey

• Stayed December 2011
Chicago
Reviewed December 29, 2011

I left a less than stellar review of the Wickwood in (3 stars) 2 years ago. I said it was a decent inn, but definitely not worth the $300 per night I shelled out for it (electrical tape holding the carpet together?). I also mentioned the fact that on two separate stays, the bill was apparently increased at check-out with no explanation.

Several days after listing my review here, I received a call. . . not from Julee Rosso, but from one of the other ladies who runs the place in her absence. This call was not an apology or an explanation, but a SCOLDING. My review was berated and my honesty questioned. How could I have said all those fallacious things on Trip Advisor? Didn't I remember her explanations to me (which I did not and still have no memory of). . . and now that we've had this conversation, wouldn't it be better for everyone involved for me to simply remove the review or rectify this obvious oversight on my part in some other way?

I am still astounded by the lack of professionalism this showed and how absolutely insulting I found their conduct. There was no question of WHY I thought and posted what I did, let alone any attempt to apologize for what I saw as their lack of communication. . . there was merely the statement that I was wrong and I should fix my error as quickly as possible.

I left my review posted on Trip Advisor and have since changed my username to a pseudonym. Since the phone call, I've been debating telling what happened to me, but did not want a repeat of the LAST review I left. I'm hoping that by now enough time has passed that the Wickwood Inn will no longer have my phone number on hand and I will not be harassed for my opinion.

Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple