Wickwood Inn
  • Pool
  • Pool
Starlite Resort(Saugatuck)
View Hotel
All reviewsevening appetizersjulee rossoother guestsenglish gardensmall platesmy husband and ib bvineyard roomroaring firehors d oeuvresgracious staffwonderful foodlarge suiteolder homethe entire experiencecommon areasin town
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 13, 2012

My hubby and I were looking for a retirement home in west Mi. and spent several different nights at the Inn while househunting. Our stays could not have been better. The staff was great, even leaving out little treats when we got back late and serving us breakfast early when we had to leave early. We were both raised in old houses and love the surprises they often offer and yes, sometimes even the "old" smell. We have stayed in many B&B's out East and the Wickwood would rate with them...it's something one expects from an old house and part of the charm.
The food was super and they even made us some extras to accomadate a food allergy..we didn't expect that and had not mentioned it when we made the reservation so it was above and beyond.
Yes, some of the bathrooms are a little small but I have had smaller ones out East. Again, it is a charming old house.
My only regret is that now that we live so close we won't be back as often but I will recommend it to my friends.

Room Tip: We found the corner rooms sunny
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Rob B
Reviewed April 8, 2012

A recent stay at this much praised inn was not as impressive as reviewed. It is nice but certainly not a Ritz Carlton for the rates charged. Every surface of the room and common room is covered with tschoikees: statues, artificial flowers, whatever. The shower had THREE different curtains AND a valance (that is three rods). It had a molded fixture and needed a new shower head as well. While the high ceiling was nice, some soundproofing would have saved us from the overhead couples intimacies.
Yes, the food was delightful and varied. The common rooms and stairs are smaller than they appear in the photos.. so it feels a bit jammed.
Most of the staff were very pleasant--Gretchen and Heather much more so.
Good location, clean place.. just not what one would expect for the rates: needs an update, purge of nicknacks, add more outlets...
Be SURE to walk through the state park to the beach. A glorious place.

Room Tip: If you don't mind stairs, at least upstairs you would not hear your overhead neighbors. VERY SMALL ROOMS and really small bathrooms..
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank westswon
Reviewed March 3, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Wickwood Inn again last weekend, and, as usual, it was just perfect. Gretchen, Heather, and Betty, the inn keepers, made sure we felt welcome and prepared the most delicious treats, appetizers, and breakfast during our stay. Betty helped wi local restaurant reservations- thank goodness, because on that cold February weekend, the restaurants in town were packed! At brekfast I have never seen the Inn so full before, yet we felt like we had the place to ourselves during the day. Wickwood, we can't wait to come back again!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Stayed 3 nights the week before Christmas - midweek - and was given a small discount 1 night since there was only 1 other couple in the inn We ended up realizing the other 2 nights were shared with 1 couple one night, and 2 the other - felt a little deceived. In any case, the room was very nice, the bathroom tiny, and the breakfast delicious. The 'common' rooms were very nice & cozy, and the inn had a very nice general feel to it. Just too pricey

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed December 29, 2011

I left a less than stellar review of the Wickwood in (3 stars) 2 years ago. I said it was a decent inn, but definitely not worth the $300 per night I shelled out for it (electrical tape holding the carpet together?). I also mentioned the fact that on two separate stays, the bill was apparently increased at check-out with no explanation.

Several days after listing my review here, I received a call. . . not from Julee Rosso, but from one of the other ladies who runs the place in her absence. This call was not an apology or an explanation, but a SCOLDING. My review was berated and my honesty questioned. How could I have said all those fallacious things on Trip Advisor? Didn't I remember her explanations to me (which I did not and still have no memory of). . . and now that we've had this conversation, wouldn't it be better for everyone involved for me to simply remove the review or rectify this obvious oversight on my part in some other way?

I am still astounded by the lack of professionalism this showed and how absolutely insulting I found their conduct. There was no question of WHY I thought and posted what I did, let alone any attempt to apologize for what I saw as their lack of communication. . . there was merely the statement that I was wrong and I should fix my error as quickly as possible.

I left my review posted on Trip Advisor and have since changed my username to a pseudonym. Since the phone call, I've been debating telling what happened to me, but did not want a repeat of the LAST review I left. I'm hoping that by now enough time has passed that the Wickwood Inn will no longer have my phone number on hand and I will not be harassed for my opinion.

Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple