“Too Many Kids”
Review of Maplewood Hotel

Maplewood Hotel
Ranked #12 of 24 Saugatuck B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 9, 2011

This place was simply great in past years, very classy, a certain elegance. This past summer, the innkeeper had the grand children and they had the run of the place. It no longer a place of elegance, peace and quiet. Still very clean and nice, however.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 13, 2011

Wonderful B&B; the name is misleading. Great (hot) breakfast. Beautiful common areas. Staff and owner are so nice. Heated pool. Nice rooms. Always cold/hot drinks and snacks. Only one block from water. We'll be back!! And we're recommending it to everyone!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Annette T
Reviewed July 19, 2011

I had never been to Saugatuck and planned a last minute get away for my boyfriend and I. We were pleasantly surprised with our stay at the Maplewood hotel. I don't know if there is a b & b in a better location that this. It is quaint and charming...and just steps away from ALL the action. Shops, restaurants and bars are all within a block or 2. The hotel was clean and our suite was just gorgeous. Breakfast was nothing to rant and rave about, but was fine. I would definitely recommend and would definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jlm0712
Reviewed June 13, 2011

My husband and I had a restful weekend at the Maplewood Hotel. The room was well-appointed with beautiful antiques and a relaxing Jacuzzi. The hotel was immaculate with attentive service. Although the hotel was fully booked, the hotel was quiet and the common areas provided us with comfortable places to read and relax.

The morning breakfast was delicious and allowed us to mingle with the other guests. The location of the hotel was convenient to shops, restaurants and screening sites for the annual film festival held the weekend we were staying at the hotel. Oval Beach is easily accessible by car or a walk over the dunes and is a great place to take in the beautiful Lake Michigan coastline.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rambler002
Reviewed September 20, 2010

Maplewood is kinda like a bad date. You want to liker her, she's kinda cute but in the end you're just left wondering what da huh?

We've been there four times, three experiences were bad.

The first time we were given a room Cynthia (the evening desk clerk) described as her "personal favorite." The sink instead of being in the bathroom, was on the opposite side of the room. This wasn't as bad as it might sound because the room was a tiny as a closet. But, it did make proper toilet hygiene a challenge in the middle of the night. We asked for a different room. "Sorry. You're screwed, pal. We're booked. It's an old inn, it has its quirks. Deal with it."

Okay, next time we called and asked for a room with all the plumbing fixtures in the bathroom. Amazingly enough, this room as even smaller than before. There wasn't even enough floor space to put down two overnight bags (the ones that look like gym bags). I wish I was making this up.

We figured we'd be smarter next time. Sunday afternoon, when all the rooms were open, we searched out one that we liked (one in the front, I think 208). And when we came back a few months later, we had a very pleasant stay.

And just last weekend we took an extraordinarily expensive suite. The last room they had available. What they heck, we figured We've been workin' our butts off. We deserve a little classy R&R. We arrive to a nice room, but the &%#^#$ bathroom door doesn't shut. Not even close to shutting. And by the look of the door, it hasn't shut properly in years. We asked for it to be repaired. We asked to get moved. Same story. "Sorry pal, take a hike. Nothing we can do. It's an old hotel, blah, blah, blah".

Now I'm not the best carpenter, but that was a 1/2 hour job. I was almost tempted to buy a plane and fix it myself.

When checking out, my wife let 'em know our disappointment. How they really ruined a weekend to which we'd been really looking forward . The clerk took $50 off a $500 bill. I wanted to throw it at her. They don't get it. That's insulting. My wife? She's the practical one. She took the money.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
7  Thank TinkerEversChance
Reviewed July 21, 2010

We discovered this place on a recent "where the road takes us" road trip and were fortunate enough to walk in & get their last room for the night. As it was late we got a discounted rate ($115!! - usually $175 I think). Cynthia showed us the B&B and was very gracious. It is my first experience at a Bed & Breakfast so I have nothing to compare it to. But breakfast was delicious (baked french toast, sausage, fruit, cereal, yogurt, etc..) Location was unbeatable, close to marina, shops and restaurants of Saugatuck.

Bedroom/restroom a little tight but under the circumstances it was the best value we found on our trip and a very pleasant stay. Staff including owner were very attentive to everyone's needs.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 29, 2010

My friend and I stayed at the Maplewood this past weekend. We adored Cynthia, the afternoon inn keeper with a charming southern drawl and the type of person you could listen to for hours. Cynthia was kind, lively, and full of character. She even helped secure a reservation for us at Everyday People Cafe in nearby Douglas (a definite must! Do not miss this fine food establashment!). Our room was cozy, yet breezy (it was warm out), and the bathroom for our room (#214) was ha-uge. The breakfasts were very good and satisfying, and the little candy dishes, homemade cookies and brownies, and iced tea throughout the day helped to curb any hunger (if you wanted a sweet!). The rooms were execpetionally clean, bed was AWEsomely comfortable, and the common areas were a delight and nicely appointed. And then, there's the pool! We couldn't get to Oval Beach when we wanted due to the chain ferry only running once an hour because of the currents...so, we laid out at the pool, and it was lovely. It is a tiny "lap" pool, but there are nice loungers and chairs there, and the pool had a perfect temp (along with a nice raft). Also, the locale is just right--very close to downtown, and right along the town commons/park. But, it's not too loud at night or in the morning. There's parking across the street, too! I highly recomment the Maplewood...and be sure to have a nice conversation with Cynthia--as well as sweet Brittany, who works the breakfast in the morning. This hotel ("B&B" as it's considered) is a charming delight! Enjoy!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends