“Nice location but not what I expected.”
Review of Beachway Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Saugatuck
Beachway Resort
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Saugatuck
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Based on the reviews I booked this place. The hotel has a nice location, very close to the oval beach. The check was Ok. The room was clean but was very small. There was no air conditioning in the room, very small TV. The place is like a house converted into a Hotel which may be very good for some people and may be very bad for some people. The worst which happened was that there was no electricity for around 3-4 hours at night. YES NO ELECTRICITY at night. That was my worst experience. No breakfast, no electricity, small room made me give this place a rating of 1 which I usually will not give.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ArunPatyal
There are newer reviews for Beachway Resort

Reviewed September 30, 2012

I recently splurged on a waterfront one-bedroom condo unit for two nights across the river from Saugatuck. It was worth every penny: clean and neat, beautifully decorated, two nice patios--one with an umbrella table and chairs and one with a chaise lounge. Both the living room and the bedroom had sliding glass doors out to the patios. The bathroom was outfitted with top-of-the-line fixtures, including an amazing jacuzzi tub. Just up the road is Oval Beach,one of the most beautiful beaches in the US. The actual Beachway Resort is a large, pink multi-level hotel with a pool and a variety of rooms. Because I've been battling West Nile Virus for the past month, I was more than happy to camp out across the street in the lovely (if expensive) condo unit (unit 505)!

Room Tip: If you can, the condo units on the water are amazing.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Elizabeth R
Reviewed September 22, 2012

This "room" is really a scaled down condo right on the river. Beautiful, riverfront. We stayed after the tourist season. Peaceful mornings with coffee on the riverfront. It includes a fireplace (which we did not need), and a huge bathroom with a "bubble" tub. 1/2 mile from Lake Michigan, Oval Beach....which is pristine. The king sized bed looks out at the river too. And it includes a kitchen so we could make our own omelets...thank you very much!

Room Tip: Ask for the riverfront rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lenna B
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We had a great two-day stay here. Other reviews tend to underrate the location of this place, in my opinion. We were a 1/3 mile walk from the only beach, Oval Beach, and just a few hundred yards from Mt. Baldhead. For us, a family with two kids, age 4 and 6, we had much more to do on the Beachway Resort side of the lake than if we stayed in downtown Saugatuck. The chain ferry over was an adventure in and of itself. And the pool was clean and had balls and noodles to use. We also rented a Disney movie for $1.00 from the hotel one night. It was all really perfect.
The downside is that there is no restaurant or bar at the Beachway or nearby. And the ferry stops running at 5:50pm (despite what the front desk tells you!). We weren't the only guests disappointed by this. In fact, we picked up two folks who had to make the three mile walk around the lake back to the resort because of the misinformation.
The other downside was one crabby desk lady--not the owner or the sweet, bespectackled blonde. They were great. This lady took our reservation and was none too kind. It was also she who responded to my request for late checkout with a "umm, we really don't have a lot of housekeepers, so no." Not what I would expect from a hospitality professional. But overall, her attitude was the only thing that blemished our trip.

Room Tip: Room #4 is PERFECT for families!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank marlisa c
GM_BaySide_BW, General Manager at Beachway Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Thank you for your kind words regarding our location and hotel. I am sorry however that your stay brought a few hiccups.

The chain ferry is run by the city of Saugatuck. The ferry only runs from Memorial Day until Labor Day. Their normal hours in the summer vary somewhat, but for the most part they run daily from 9am until 9pm. Now as the summer slows and the sun starts to set earlier, they have to close earlier, but the earliest time they are scheduled to close is 7:45 on Labor Day weekend. There are times however that they cannot run, or will close early due to the current being too strong or weather changes…or even in some cases due to staff shortages. They do their best to keep us up to date via email on changes in their schedules, but there are times were we are not informed of changes. We do print out cards kept at the front desk and hung on the front door with the local bus and taxi numbers in case of early closures.

I do sincerely apologize for the behavior of the innkeeper that was less than accommodating during your stay. Though we are not often able to offer extended check outs during the busy summer months, I am sorry she wasn’t able to handle your request better. We will be sure to address the matter immediately to ensure all guests are given exceptional customer service.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

The location is right on the road to get to Oval Beach and across the street from the chain ferry ($1 to cross per person) to take you to down town. Keep in mind the chain ferry only operates from 9am-9pm sometimes 10pm on weekends, I was pregnant when we went so this worked fine for us, but if you want to stay out later and take a cab home the cab has to drive about 5-6 miles around the river the the car bridge so I'm sure that cost could add up.
As for the hotel, it had everything we needed, parking, continental breakfast, a pool, DVD rentals and it was clean. We stayed in the Economy room so I'm sure some of the more expensive ones are nicer but ours had cracks and stains on the ceiling and you could hear everything through the walls, it was hard to sleep as you could hear everyone in the rooms around you.
The staff was friendly and helpful and from what I have seen online it looks like this place is a great value compared to many of the other places to stay. It was not a luxury stay by any means but I think it would be a perfect fit if traveling with kids.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank trocas01
Reviewed August 14, 2012

The Beachway is nice similar to a bed and breakfast, however unlike a bed and breakfast they charge you for bottled water and snacks, which I think is a little tacky. They do serve coffee and donuts in the morning and have an area to play games. Our room was small and the house keeper only made the beds and gave us new towels did not throw away our garbage. ITs crazy they do not lock the front door at night but they sure make sure they put away all the snacks so you cannot purchase after ten. The pool looked very nice , however it rained so we could not enjoy it. They do have plenty of outside seating and several decks to sit on. The front desk and the owner seemed kind of rude, the power had gone out and they were getting a little snippy when we were asking questions.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank sunkissedlady
Reviewed July 19, 2012

By global hotel standards it's a 3-star property, but I'll give it 4 stars compared to other options around Saugatuck.

Pros: Central location. Take the chain ferry right across the street to reach downtown Saugatuck in 5 minutes, or walk back over the hills to Oval beach (about 10 min walk, or drive and pay $6 to park) where the beach is sandy and the water is swimmable. Room #4 is excellent for a family... very spacious and comfortable. Pool is deep and there is a partial view of Saugatuck and the river from the pool deck.

Cons: Breakfast consists of commercial mini doughnuts, fruit, and coffee. Nothing else is available. It would be nice to have cereal, milk, toast, and yogurt. At minimum some hard rolls and jelly. There are no stores or restaurants in walking distance on this side of the river. The pool is good for kids but not big enough for adult lap swim, as they have a rope down the middle to divide off the deeper side.

If I returned to Saugatuck, which I might, I'd stay at the Beachway again. It's not deluxe but it's very friendly and generally in a good location. If we were staying as a family (2 adults & 2 kids) I would request room #4 again.

Room Tip: Room #4 is bright and spacious for a family.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank bradleystat
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saugatuck
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Saugatuck - Douglas
#1 of 10 in Saugatuck
Belvedere Inn & Restaurant
Belvedere Inn & Restaurant
#2 of 24 in Saugatuck

Been to Beachway Resort? Share your experiences!