“Sad to say, pretty awful”
Review of The Butler

The Butler
Ranked #17 of 55 Restaurants in Saugatuck
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Very much a tourist trap of greasy food and lousy service. Location near the water is its only draw, but it's dated, dirty and unappealing. We would never return.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

We had dinner at The Butler to end a day of shopping. The service was great and the food was delicious. Pumpkin soup was the soup of the day and we all thought it was wonderful! Loved reading about the history of the restaurant and the pictures on the wall were fun to look at. We've eaten there on other visits to Saugatuck and have always enjoyed the meal.

1  Thank Tillie816
Reviewed November 24, 2013

A group of friends and I had a girl's weekend in Saugatuck and went into The Butler Home of the Butler Burger on Sunday night around 8:30pm. When we got there, there were a few people at the bar but no one at any tables. We were seated and ordered drinks, shortly after another older couple was seated a few tables away. The server, a young blonde girl, came to take our order and her phone was going off nearly the entire time. We had all ordered soups and entrees and waited for a long time; so long in fact that the couple seated next to us got their soups AND entrees before we even got our soups. When we asked the server why she stated she thought we wanted them all out at the same time, even though no one had requested that. She rolled her eyes and went into the kitchen. When she returned the soups were COLD and had to be sent back. The server said it was because "we are closing and had to throw something together." Really? At that point we should have walked out, but stayed. The server had such a bad attitude the entire time, rolling her eyes, stomping to and from the kitchen etc. When we got the bill we had been charged for French fries I asked for as a substitution for chips. We approached the server who then told her manager "they are complaining about the charge for fries since they clearly did not read the menu." The manager at this point informed us their policy is stated on the menu: if fries are requested then there is an upcharge and he would not take it off the bill. I talked to him further explaining the entire situation and how our experience was horrible. He said that is their policy and that he had overheard the way the server talked to us and had already talked to her about it in the kitchen. Not once did he say sorry, not once did he offer to pay for our cold soups but instead told us there is nothing he could do since we ate the soup, after it had been returned to the kitchen. I have never been treated like this in a restaurant before. Restaurants survive off of good customer service and this is the WORST I have experienced EVER!!! We weren't looking for anything for free, but a simple I'm sorry would have been something. We will NEVER come back to this restaurant.

1  Thank Corie R
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We had dinner at the end of a day of snow flurries with more expected within hours. The Butler sits on the harbor; magnificent view, busy bar, and somewhat cozy sitting - tables sit very close to one another. The evenings special was any half pound burger $7.95, not a bad deal dependent upon your choice, plus it was Veteran's Day with an additional 25% off.

I had the the Spicy Chili and it was spicy!! Not burn your mouth heat, just open your sinuses spicy. My husband had the burger with blue cheese and the Butler fries. The Butler fries look like sliced whole potatoes fried, sort of like twice baked potatoes expect fried. He actually ate the entire burger and most of the fries, commenting on the tasty plus the blue cheese provided.

Our waitress was very friendly, obviously knew the menu well evident by her making specific suggestions. The Butler appeared to have lots of regular customers, she appeared to know many of them. Even with catching up with the regulars, she never ignored her other tables.

Definitely worth a visit for the view, the staff, and the food.

2  Thank Patricia W
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Personally I can't understand how a chocolate shop gets rated higher than The Butler. We have been going to Saugatuck every year now for quite a long time. The Butler has always been our go-to place. We've never had a bad meal or bad service. We often go on or around the Fourth of July when Saugatuck is really jumping. We have had to wait for a table, but never very long, especially considering the crowds in town. We usually wait for a table near the windows for the view of the river/boats/dock/pool/outdoor bar, etc. We even ate at the bar once because, despite the crowd, we got such good service from the bartender.
We've never had a bad meal and have tried quite a few things on the menu. My wife is partial to the Fish and Chips and has had it on more than a few occasions. I am more adventuresome and try something different just about every time. Today she had her favorite Fish and Chips with the Butler Fries (sliced baked potatoes, fried); I had a bowl of Crab Soup (leftover from Friday, but that made it all the better) and a Califo0rnia Chicken Club. Her fish was delicious as usual. My soup was excellent, very creamy with tender pieces of potato and a ton of crab and a great flavor. The burgers have always been good, cooked to order, and we have had various fish dishes as well as other items, including a special every now and then.
The drinks at The Butler are always good. My wife loves their Cosmos and I usually get a Dewar's and Soda, short. Both have good pours and are delicious. Patty was our waitress today and I saw one review that didn't speak very well of her, but I can't see it. She was very friendly and efficient. We had a good conversation about Crane's Pies (which they feature and are, by the way, EXCELLENT!) and she was just all around a good waitress.
I repeat, I can't understand how a chocolate shop (a chain chocolate shop, no less, that is in about every tourist city in about 18 states) gets rated higher than The Butler. Because of the reviews, we may try other restaurants in Saugatuck, but we will be going back to The Butler, no matter what.

2  Thank ontheHuron