“Room without a closet”

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Saugatuck
Fort Mill, South Carolina
“Room without a closet”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My wife and I spent Saturday and Sunday at your motel. Unfortunately, we were disappointed in the accommodations. Although Room 4 was recently renovated, it was quite small and more importantly had no closet or even a hook to hang our clothes. We had to hang them in our car and go out in the morning to get our clothing. As well, your website indicates wireless internet which was not available and made it difficult to do any work at night. There were no vending machines or shampoo. When checking out at 7:15 am this morning the office was locked which seems rather strange for a full motel.

I cannot remember spending about $150/night for a room that was this disappointing. When I mentioned that lack of a closet to the gentlemen at the desk, he laughed and said "oh yeah, I guess we forgot". Not a good answer for a reputable accommodation. As President of my own business, my reputation is critical and I would hope that same holds true for Captains Quarters.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Joseph M

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Spring Hill, Florida
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I'll start by admitting that I didn't ask the right questions when I called to make reservations. General Manager, Paul Cook was congenial and I liked him with our first conversation. We wanted to stay for 3 days vacation and were packing our 2 year old Pomeranian, which really narrowed our choices in this community. We committed to the 3 day stay over the phone and were warned about a 14 day cancellation period, which I thought was extraordinary and not what most travelers are used to. I admit again, this caught my curiosity but I failed to pursue the reasons for such an extreme policy and that’s on me.

We arrived on time, paid cash for our 3 day stay, got our key and then took a look at our room. It turned out to be a clean room, adequately furnished with the basics, and that’s about it. There was no immediate green area adjacent to our room, and a recent storm had obviously uprooted a giant pine tree that probably added lots of ambience to the cabin area, but now, all that remained of this once great old fir, was a gaping hole of ripped turf, with large, torn roots splintered and gaping from the earth. There was a picnic table across the way, but within the domain of our room, no place really to sit and enjoy some pleasant, cool grass beneath your feet.

For amenities, I saw a pop machine, but there was no ice machine, no pool, not much of anything else. Upon further inquiry, I learned that there wasn’t any internet to speak of, unless you brought your laptop into the lobby area and booted it up there. Paul, the manager couldn’t explain why this was so, but it was clear you couldn’t simply open your computer in your room and start to work, which is necessary in my line of work as on online college instructor in the midst of summer semester. I know... again, I admit to my failure to ascertain this vital information before confirming my reservations.

Here’s the close of my tale... it was clear to me that I couldn’t stay here and keep abreast of my obligations to students unless I found someplace local that had internet connectivity and would tolerate me hanging out for 5 or 6 hours daily as I corrected student papers. Mind you, this all takes place within an hour of having paid cash for my 3 day stay, we haven’t soiled the room, and it’s as pristine as it was the moment I inserted the key in the door. I went to the office to see Paul and ask for a refund of my money. He reminded me of the 14 day cancellation period, I made my plea that I couldn’t work in my room online, he countered with an invitation to use his lobby to work, I countered with this not being a workable solution for me, and he countered with he’d be willing to refund 2 of the 3 days, I countered with splitting the difference, but he held firm and we came to an agreement. End of story? It cost me $128 and some change because I didn’t ask the right questions... at least not all of the right questions. I ended up taking the money refunded to me and finding another pet friendly hotel about 4 miles down the road with all of the amenities, an indoor pool and internet connection throughout the facility, paid for all 3 days for the same amount Paul was asking for 2 days, and couldn’t have been happier.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Barry H
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Stayed in Saugatuck for one night for a quick trip. We were lucky that Captains Quarters allows one night stays, which is rare for places in Saugatuck. The propietor of the hotel is a very nice fellow with a dry sense of humor. The room was very basic and very clean. Nice location, walking to downtown Saugatuck is a bit far, but overall a nice and very quiet place.

Room Tip: There are only 16 to choose from :)
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank iachick
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed June 26, 2012

We have begun searching out American owned hotels and restaurants when traveling and we were not disappointed when we stopped in for an overnight stay last week. Though it's on a busy road, it is set back far enough and we had a room in the back that was ultra quiet and private. Clean room and comfy bed. Close to area attractions and owner on site. Nice!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Patti M
Dearborn, Michigan
Reviewed June 12, 2012

This hotel promises clean and that is what you get, nothing pretty just somewhere to lay your head down after a days adventures. Not enough towels and a table would be nice on both sides of bed. Very basic, but yes I would return.

Room Tip: These are just basic rooms.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Rayette M
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Considering how much we paid for our room, I was shocked by what we walked into. As soon as we opened the door, the smell of must and mold assailed us. I have stayed at places 1/3 the price that had better amenities. The bed and pillows were very uncomfortable. I felt like I was camping.
This was my first time in the area, I understand the area is very popular and they feel they can charge whatever they want, but at least make us comfortable. This place offered nothing special that would make us want to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011
4 Thank Kindakool
Michigan
Reviewed September 1, 2011

We had some hesitation after reading some of the reviews here. However, this motel was exactly as advertised - basic, clean, and within walking distance of downtown Saugatuck. Plus they allow dogs without any extra fee, which is very appreciated. No, there are no little bottles of shampoo or lotion, and no, it's not the most modern television set up, and no, the wifi doesn't reach the rooms, but it's not a big chain hotel so I didn't expect those things. My only two complaints were that the lobby smelled of cigarette smoke when we arrived (but the rooms did NOT, so no big deal) and that the vinyl shower curtain was kind of musty - needs a good bleaching. But the room was very clean, the linens were fine, the bed was comfortable. We were very satisfied and would stay there again. No, this is not a chain so don't expect all the extras a chain may provide! This is a local mom and pop type motel...support local businesses!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank MI_Traveler2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saugatuck
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Saugatuck - Douglas
#4 of 24 in Saugatuck
Belvedere Inn & Restaurant
Belvedere Inn & Restaurant
#2 of 24 in Saugatuck

Been to Captains Quarters Motel? Share your experiences!