“The Comfort of Home…Only Better! Much Better!”

Belvedere Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 24 Saugatuck B&B and Inns
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
“The Comfort of Home…Only Better! Much Better!”
Reviewed May 25, 2014

I come to the Belvedere frequently and try different rooms each time. I have always been greeted like a special friend each and every time. Each room is unique and all are warm and inviting. While I had one of the smaller rooms this time (the Abbey), I loved it. One of its walls is all windows and it was so peaceful to lay in bed and just admire the view on a cool spring morning. The breakfasts are always delicious and offer a variety of fruit, granola, breads as well as a signature warm entree. The Belvedere also has a restaurant that serves dinner and I always make that part of my visit. The dinners are served at a casual pace (some have described as European style) and offer varied courses. I can always count on being able to try something I don't usually eat because I have full confidence that it will be the best. And after dinner, you can just relax on the terrace or walk up to your room. All of the staff care about your comfort and are willing to assist with anything you need. I am always a little down when I leave until I realize that I can come back again. And it will be just as special then.

Room Tip: If you check out the Belvedere's website, pay attention to the room descriptions. Some have whi...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend surprised me with this great getaway! I could not have been happier with our hosts Shaun and Jonathan. The prefix dinner was outstanding and the gourmet breakfast was fantastic. Our room was quaint. There will be more trips to come.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Angola, Indiana
Reviewed April 28, 2014

There are many places in Saugatuck to stay overnight, but if you want a memorable experience that leaves you with a smile and a desire to return again, you must stay at the Belvedere Inn. The hospitality, service, rooms, food, ambience and customer amenities where all first class. My wife I will definitely go back again, and look forward to it!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Great to be here again. Like homecoming! Delicious food -Thank you, Sean!
It was all good from start to finish. Saturday we had dinner in Douglas and Easter morning we had breakfast, church and brunch, in that order. Church was the only disappointment. :)

Room Tip: Second floor rooms more spacious but we were in a third floor room that was cozy and lovely. Beauti...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Milford, Michigan
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Dinner was paced in European style; and it was delicious. Two nights and a credit toward meals was an incentive to make reservations. Chef Shaun provides a relaxed atmosphere and mingles quietly among the guests making sure rooms and hospitality meet guest expectations. No need to travel out of state for a change of scenery...Belvedere Inn is a grand experience.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Very nice grand scale small inn outside Saugatuck, MI. The chef is Shaun, from Chicago. He cooks the meals. The meals are out of this world. I visited during the early spring, still cold and snow.The inn had a special a 4 course dinner for 2 included in the price of the stay when 2 nights are booked.
I took a room on the 3d floor I think I was the only one up there. I had a dormer window seat overlooking a forest and a frozen pond. Both mornings I read sitting in the dormer and watched the deer frolic in the forest. Coffee service is on the second floor. There are teas, hot chocolate, biscotti, cookies, etc. always ready at 6am. My room was big I had a shower no bathtub. The room was nicely decorated with enough pillows and blankets. I had an electric fireplace in the corner that kept the room toasty all night. I slept like a baby in the bed.
The first morning for breakfast there was granola, scones, yogurt and fruit on the buffet. The main course for breakfast was egg in nest with bacon. The woman who helps for breakfast was very attentive to everything. I ordered my evening meal for the 6pm sitting. Dinner is fine dining with casual attire. First you have your choice of appetizers, then soup/salad, the main meal and dessert. I had the pate, butternut squash crabmeat bisque, pecan crusted walleye and flan for dessert. The dining experience takes about 2 to 2.5 hours so don't plan anything till after 9pm or so. Josephine was the server. She was a sweet attentive individual that was truly eager to make your experience memorable.
The second morning for breakfast on the buffet was breads, granola, yogurt, and fruit. the main course was potato leek quiche with sausage. A light salad was served on the side. Again service was great.
Jonathan is the inn keeper. He is a young kid that is married. Jonathan studied music in college and had hopes of teaching music until the opportunity to manage the inn came up. He still plays jazz. But only his wife gets to enjoy his musical talents.
Overall my stay at the inn was pleasant. Each member of the inn left a kind impression on me.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank maggiedanurse
Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

An Outstanding place in every way!!! The rooms are beautiful and really tastefully decorated with charm ALL over. There's a beautiful library and sun room and the crown is the gourmet restaurant which is outstanding from the cuisine, ambience, service and memories. My then girlfriend was so impressed that she wanted to dine there consecutive nights during our stay - it really was that good! On top of all that, the owners and staff are top notch. Sean and Jonathan are the most attentive I've seen and were so amenable to ensuring that my vegan food choices were incorporated into the menu choices. Just go, and have a fantastic vacation.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saugatuck
Hampton Inn Holland
#1 of 24 in Saugatuck
Lake Shore Resort
Lake Shore Resort
#5 of 10 in Saugatuck

Been to Belvedere Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!