“Very Clean and Well Taken Care Of”
Review of Ship-N-Shore Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Saugatuck
Ship-N-Shore Hotel
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Saugatuck
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Living a half hour away, I went to Saugatuck two weeks before a last minute planned gathering, for an October Ladies Getaway. My intention was to find a B&B, but they were either full, or would not let me make a reservation for only one night because it was still considered prime time. I saw the S&S, which was across from 2 B&Bs, but almost didn't check it out because it looked so dated, from the street side.

Well, I am happy I further investigated this option, and made a reservation for two rooms. What I discovered, was an old motel that was cleaner than any hotel I have seen in a very long time. The last hotel I had been to with that level of care was a 5 Star hotel in China, when we adopted our daughter.

The bathroom was old, but spotless .... the tiles in the tub/shower sparkled, as well as the floor.. The bed had a very clean, and appeared new, bedspread. Instead of a blanket, like any other hotel I have been in, it had a duvet that felt crisp and new. The pillows were great as well. It was a cool weekend, so we really appreciated the gathering room, overlooking the water, with a ton of seating around the fireplace. After dinner, we warmed ourselves there and chatted until midnight. The night staff person came over and offered us blankets, to make us feel even more at home.

As everyone else has said, the riverside of the motel is beautiful, with updated landscaping and pool areas. All rooms are technically on the water, but a few of the first floor rooms have views that are somewhat blocked by other extensions of the building.

I would not hesitate to stay there again. I read one comment that the price was high for an old motel, but when you consider it is right on the water in the middle of a resort town, I think what they are asking is not so out of line.

Room Tip: To be assured the best view, you may want to ask for a second floor room. If you are going to be on...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Therese D

Reviewed October 2, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights and must say was very nice, the setting is gorgeous right on the water with beautiful patio seating where the boats dock on the Kalamazoo river, The room was nice, very clean bed was really comfy, we had the queen room,only thing negative was no coffee maker however continental breakfast was just down the hall and hot water for tea as well. Saugetucket Michigan is beautiful lots of shopping! also hiking and beaches and boat charters and lots of great bars and restaurants! Coral Gables had good food!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CBEAR12Canada
Reviewed September 8, 2012

We were in town Labor Day and were looking for a bed and breakfast with no luck. This was one of the few places that had a vacancy! First I was taken back by the price but was tired of driving around looking for a place. I was pleasantly surprised. They have a nice spa pool and regular pool it's on the water. This place is within walking distance of several restaurants and shops. The air conditioner in our room struggled to keep the room cool but it rained over night and cooled down naturally. During the night rain it sounded like we were in a building with a metal roof.

Room Tip: They have water front rooms if you don't get one of them get one on the second floor.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Phillip F
Reviewed September 6, 2012

If you only have a few days' holiday and you want to spend it in Saugatuck, this is the place for you. The property is riverside and central, and features a lovely pool among its amenities. Breakfast was plenty and pleasant.Service was routinely excellent, with friendly, helpful staff.

It is, however, a renovated motel, and although well kept, clean and excellently maintained, it still looks and feels like a motel: even the room keys are still metal, no plastic cards here! Prices, however, are those of a resort located somewhat further up our imaginative scale.

So if you want location and pool above all, go for it, but if you need a more upscale feel for your money, you may want to go elsewhere.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank melrock
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Stephen's review is spot-on. We (my son, his friend and I) stayed there August 17th and 18th. I booked in the end of January. When we arrived to check in to Room 5, poolside, first floor with two queens, the clerk informed me their entire computer record keeping had crashed shortly after I reserved (and pre-paid for a night per their policy) and I wasn't in the system. They offered Rooms 1 and 2, on the end right next to each other, with a queen bed each. All would have been gravy except around 9:30pm (bedtime) the bar across the street, Wicks, started up with some god-awful cover band that didn't let up for 2 hours. The next night it was muted, helped by turning the fan on in the room. I would STRONGLY advise guests who expect to sleep before midnight to refuse a streetside room. For the more adventuresome, it would be fine. The kids and I crammed into the queen the first night and all tossed and turned. The poolside room was as quiet as a tomb, save the 2am noise of the guests above us returning.The year prior we stayed at the Beachway Resort and I do prefer the pool, view, ambience and service of Ship N Shore, who went out of their way to remedy the situation after I told them about the loud room. Book well in advance, as they are almost always full.

Room Tip: Poolside, in the middle, 2nd floor for families
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Long time visitor to Saugatuckl (late 70's +) staying at this motel/boatel various seasons, and assorted owners.. Like one commenter says, do NOT expect a Radisson or Marriott here, and one may occassionally expect some "oddities" (TV not functioning, fuses blowing, housekeeping staff providing only 1 bath towel, shampoo not replenshied etc.)..or perhaps a perfect day, but one can deal with that while enjoying the "ambience" and lovely view and landscaping and casual atmosphere (as well as nearby everything in town). Recent stay however allowed several "cigarette boats" to tie off (6-7) directly in front of our dock size room, and unfortunately these guests were not very considerate (taking guests chairs, leaving empty beverage cans on guests tables, very loud music no one "appreciated" ) and should likely been placed elsewhere (don't get me wrong, long time boaters here, and understand there is a little fun to be expected, but consideration is always appreciated.) What I have determined in my last couple years is that there is not the adequate management staff available on site on the weekends (granted, the young people are often friendly, however not equipped to deal with any "issues",..though dock person did address the guests eventually). Recommendation to owners...you are getting the money you ask, but please have a responsible management on site.

Room Tip: If one has family and friends, pool side area room (north) may be preferred. If you want a little q...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shipmates3
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We stay at the Ship & Shore every summer, just did our 2nd stay there this summer. We love the place for it's main attributes: right in town, on the river, with a pool, hot tub and nice gardens. Boats can dock in front for the day or several days, which adds to the interest. It is run by members of the owner's family so it has a very personal touch. We love staying there and is one of the highlights of the summer for us. The pool, hot tub and patio area was beautifully redone a couple years ago and is perfect. All the grounds are immaculate and are tended to daily - there is that sense of hands on, personal, intimate care that is also extended to guests. They have a very nice little continental breakfast that everyone very much enjoys. The pleasures of the Ship & Shore: sitting on the balcony watching boats go by, watching activity in the pool or looking over the gardens, laying around the pool and use of the pool and hot tub. Then: walking out the front door to all the restaurants, shops and bars that are right there. EXCELLENT!!!!!
Now the flaws: it is a 50's or 60's structure that has not been sufficiently updated. The bathrooms are small and old, with some minor 70's or 80's updating. But what I noticed even more this visit is the need to attend to some things that are more easily remedied such as old, mismatched, and even dirty carpet in common areas. The carpet in the rooms is clean and newer and rooms are definitely clean - no reason for concern with that. They could also provide more chairs on the balconies to reduce the amount of chair-nabbing that always seems to ensue. The furniture in the rooms could also be upgraded a bit as well - how about a night stand on BOTH sides of the bed? It is also important to realize that there are no other accommodations right in Saugatuck with these facilities - it stands alone. So, if they would put some more money into it, the Ship & Shore would get 5 stars from me. That all said, we CAN'T WAIT to get back there.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms provide balcony height views of the river and grounds. One end of the long buildi...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple