“So so B&B”

Saugatuck's Victorian Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saugatuck
Saugatuck's Victorian Inn
Ranked #13 of 24 Saugatuck B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 31, 2005

This B&B is someone's home, and it has its pos and minus. Pos is location and appearance. Food not special, and the couple that lives there with their dog is very 'homey' and 'folksy' types. Not for everyone. The premises are well kept, but some private parts we could see thru open door were not.

Stayed: October 2005
3  Thank Boxer12

Reviewed October 30, 2005

The Saugatuck Victorian Inn, located downtown Saugatuck has a beautiful exterior and a wonderful location in the heart of town with parking off of the street (small lot). The lake is one block away and in view, and the shops or restaurants are all within walking distance.

The downstairs lobby is open and ordained with beautiful dark wood. The home owner informed us that the home was a typical "Sears and Roebuck Home" built in 1903 and hence the name was actually purchased with instructions for assembly from Sears (Apparently this was a popular practice in those days).

The rooms upstairs are quite charming and Victorian but rather small in size as are the bathrooms. Each room has a gas fireplace, which the owner will remind you several times not to leave on if you exit the room.

Although the service was great I was rather disappointed in our stay. The walls are paper thin; I swear in the middle of the night, I could hear people in the other room toss and turn as well as the owners who reside upstairs. I suppose that is a downfall to mail order homes even though this home is quite beautiful.

The breakfast was average in quality as well as the food items to choose from; I expect a chef style breakfast from quality b&b's. This one also lacked the comfort food appeal that one would expect from a Victorian Inn.

Over all I would say the stay was below average to average.

3  Thank C H
Chicago, IL
Reviewed September 17, 2005

We just returned from a weekend at the Saugatuck Victorian Inn. While the house itself is charming, our room somewhat lacked in cleanliness. We stayed in the first-floor room (I believe #1), which had a hot tub. The hot tub was unusable due to the brown ring of dirt around the tub. Cobb webs clung to the ceilings in both the bedroom and bath, and the exhaust fan in the bathroom appeared to not have been cleaned in years.
To add to the cleanliness issue, our room had not been cleaned at all during our two-night stay. The innkeeper, however, did apologize for having forgotten to "refreshen" our room.
Upon checkout, we informed the innkeeper that our only complaint was the dirty hottub. The response was, "It's time to run dishwashing detergent through it." The innkeeper wasn't the least bit apologetic or embarrassed.
Although the Inn is centrally located, it is definitely overpriced for the accomodations we received.

• Stayed: September 2005
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 7, 2005

We have spent a weekend in June at this Inn for the past few years. We really like it. The rooms are comfortable, although not spacious. Everything is clean and in working order. Breakfast is a laid back affair....help yourself....during a specified time window. We like that instead of everyone sitting down at an orchestrated meal. We spend a lot of time on the veranda sipping beer and wine and watching all the interesting people pass by. I find the owners very unassuming. There if you need them and in the background when you don't. I highly recommend this Inn and the town of Saugatuck.

• Stayed: June 2004
14  Thank April102
Chicago, IL
Reviewed March 7, 2004

At the last minute, my wife and I decided to go to Saugatuck for the weekend to do some shopping and unwind a little. This time of year, March 2004, is somewhat quiet in the area. We had decent weather, good dinners and great stay at the Victorian Inn as the couple who owns and manages the Inn were very pleasant and easy to converse with. They were very accomodating, always there to assist and make your stay more enjoyable. Plan to go back again this summer and stay at the Victorian.
Highly recommend it to all which is good and bad, good because it is a nice place to stay and bad because all the rooms will be filled when I want to return there again this summer.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed February 29, 2004

Could not have enjoyed the Victorin Inn More! I had also read the review of the disgruntled people from last summer and had some concerns however things were great. Awesome location, great accomodations, the cutest little cockapoo "Bailey" and absolutely wonderful hosts in Bob and Jane Verplank (I think). We were made to feel as if we were with longtime friends. After checking in we had a great meal at Phils bar and Grille right up the street, recommended by Bob and Jane, (try the seafood gumbo) enjoyed some great wine and Time without our kids. Much needed. Breakfast was outstanding and the the stay could not have been better. Maybe the folks from chicago stayed at a different Victorian Inn than we did. Already booked another weekend in June!

Reviewed February 15, 2004

I had already made our reservations when I read a disgruntled review of the Victorian Inn on this sight, I actually thought about canceling. I m happy to say that I didn t! Because of that I wanted to share our experience We were given a beautiful king room (#4) with fireplace and full bath that was clean and decorated to a tee. Mr. and Mrs.  Bob were very helpful and quite wonderful in the kitchen featuring homemade chocolate cake and raspberry cheese blintz for breakfast. Their little dog Bailey and casual interaction with the other guests made for a very pleasant time at Saugatuck s Victorian Inn, thank you. Hope you get a chance to enjoy it yourself!