All reviews private beach putting green continental breakfast bikes provided local bakery hard boiled eggs heated pool peaceful retreat my husband and i watch the sunset grounds are beautiful internet access modern design multi level plenty of chairs get away umbrella tables
Reviewed July 15, 2017

My girlfriend and I for the 1st time stayed at the Lake Shore Resort...the views are spectacular, the ground are immaculate and the whole atmosphere was just so relaxing and peaceful...We had a 2 double bed room with a Lake View...the hotel is small, I believe 30 rooms, but each room is kept very clean...there's a continental breakfast, bike riding, and a walk down to their private beach to just relax, swim or kayak...the staff is amazing and the people are so friendly...some just come to sit by the pool and relax...I can't forget the sunset...it starts at 9:15pm and is definitely worth seeing...the location is also great...it's a 5 minute drive to downtown Saugatuck and close to the main streets...I hope we're lucky enough to get a reservation next year...

Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank karenvf1814
Reviewed July 11, 2017

Quiet, well kept rooms, peaceful surroundings - Love Lake Shore Resort!! We are going back this summer for our third year in a row. Each year we stay longer. Watching the lake by day or at sunset from one of the decks that are tiered down the almost vertical drop to the water is transporting. Wherever we roam during the day, we try to get back to watch the sunset at night. It's magical. Some days we stay on the grounds reading books, riding the bikes (bikes and helmets provided) swim in the pool or kayak on the lake.
Had heard that the rooms may have wi fi starting this year. Just called the front desk and had that confirmed.

Date of stay: August 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michelle T
Reviewed July 5, 2017

I love this place and have stayed 6 or 7 times. It's quiet (not for kids) and a beautiful property and feels so private--the Lake is right there (most of Saug is on the river or whatever they call it) with lovely multi-level deck/stairs down to the water/private beach.

The rooms are fine (you're not staying here for the rooms)--and some of them have been updated nicely since last season. I'm not sure if there is anything they can do about the musty thing, which is just typical of lake front places--it didn't ruin anything. If you need to be connected, there is limited wi-fi and cell service is spotty so stay here if you want amazing views, relax, ride a bike or kayak (included) and peep at big houses, see the wonderful sunsets, swim in the nice pool and maybe chat with some nice people by the gas fires in the evening-I always meet great people. If I wanted a big city I would stay elsewhere. Continental breakfast is nice. They let me use their freezer (they have mini-fridges in the room) which I appreciated.

The place is family owned by a very good looking family (this is unnecessary information but interesting!) --mom and dad and a son poised to take the place over (poor son is ogled by all the older women who stay there, myself included, but he's really nice and friendly). Dad is a bit of a hothead, but they are all nice to guests, including the grounds people and housekeeping.

Don't stay here if you are loud and rude--you won't fit in. The beauty of the place is that it's peaceful and the owners/staff encourage that--which I applaud! I am ready to go back...

• Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank LaurieJ2
Reviewed June 29, 2017

For some strange reason I felt privileged to stay here. I think it was the quiet up-scale residential neighborhood that surrounds it. The hotel is in the process of being re-newed, but what has been accomplished thus far is remarkably well done. The rooms are small and come across as sparse, but the attention to detail is excellent. The bed linens are as good as downtown anywhere, the furniture is plain and small scaled as as to maximize the available space, the bath linens are high quality and there are a lot of them, the window coverings really keep out the light. The swivel chairs allow you to watch the TV or the lake as you like. The space heater is a little tricky to figure out, but does the job. The grounds are well kept and delightful. They are much improved over what is shown in the old pictures. I don't think it is fair to criticize the resort's shortcomings since it is a work in progress. However, I will observe that the coffee needs a lot of improvement

Room tip: Get the biggest new room you can
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sausca
Reviewed June 23, 2017

If your first view of this resort was from inside a room you wouldn't think much of it. The rooms themselves are comfortable but basic walk-in motel rooms. What makes Lake Shore standout is the setting and amenities - immaculate grounds, expansive views of Lake Michigan from every room, two private decks and a private beach on the shore. Amenities include bicycles to ride around the quiet neighborhood, kayaks to paddle on the lake, lounge chairs, umbrellas and towels on the beach and decks, firepits on the lawn and a pool. Breakfast is a basic continental but a cut above the standard motel fare. Downsides are there is limited service (basically a person staffing the desk during the day - if you want a beverage or snack beyond breakfast you'll need to procure your own) and the internet and cell phone service is next to non-existent. There is wi-fi available in the reception/breakfast building but even there it didn't work too well at times. This is a place to unwind and relax, they should just remove the TV's to complete the effect. We greatly enjoyed it and it seems to be about the only hotel accommodation on the lake for miles. We would not consider staying anywhere else whenever we visit the Saugatuck area again. But... if you can't manage being disconnected for the duration of your stay here you'll be frustrated.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
3  Thank Buzzfan
JoeLSR, Owner at Lake Shore Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2017

We appreciate this guest taking the time to submit their comments and favorable description of our resort. There is an update since they stayed with us in June. We just completed installation of wi-fi throughout the whole resort facility, rooms as well. Also since cell phone service is poor in this area on the lake shore, we do provide free long distance from the guest rooms. Although we cannot provide lunch or dinner service on site, in addition to our continental breakfast overlooking Lake Michigan we do have various snacks and soft drinks available. Many guests use our in room refrigerators to keep their favorite lunch items or dinner leftovers for consumption out on one of our many decks.