“Wow! An Amazing Mix of Flavors”

Phil's Bar & Grille
Ranked #1 of 56 Restaurants in Saugatuck
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Eating at Phil's was one of the most amazing meals that I have ever had. My wife and I had the chicken and shrimp gumbo and the soup of the day, the Gorgonzola Ale Dip as an appetizer, and Phil's Pasta and the special, which was a filet mignon on a bed of cous cous. The combination of ingredients and flavors was absolutely amazing. On top of it, the price was so reasonable. This will be a definite destination for the future.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

I like the atmosphere at Phil's - very friendly & casual. Three of us had dinner there; 1 of the 3 really enjoyed the meal. The fries are great, the ham & cheese sandwich was average, the ribs were very tender but not my favorite sauce, the open-faced steak sandwich looked pretty & my friend indicated it was very good.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Walked into Phil's on a sunday mid-afternoon and was escorted to the only remaining table that was unoccupied. Drawing with restaurant supplied crayons on the paper tablecloth provides for good entertainment. My wife ordered a Founder's Porter draft and I ordered a Moose Drool draft which both were excellent. For dinner, she had the Portabella Sandwich which she found the sauce to be a quite overwhelming and she had to scrape some of the sauce off, but the pretzel bun it came on was very good. She stated she would not order the Portabella Sandwich again as she was disappointed with the little piece of spinach that came with it. I ordered the Perch Basket with steak fries and cole slaw. The Perch was fried too long and really didn't have much flavor. The fish sauce was also tasteless and I had to think that just regular tarter sauce would of been better. The service was very good and the complementary animal crackers at the end of the meal was a nice touch. I would eat here again but I would order something different.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

From the outside the place is unassuming, There is a billboard outside touting someones birthday, anniversary, etc. Once you get inside there is a wait. The place was packed in October. People waiting long periods of time for a table...It is worth it. The two of us lucked out. Two people got up from the bar and a couple standing near the bar took one seat and generously offered me the other seat. Thank you gentleman! That was very kind of you by the way. About ten minutes later the harried but wonderful bartender was able to take our drink orders. Twenty minutes later the couple sitting next to us finally got their table. I am not sure how long they had waited but it seemed to be awhile. So...we decided to take the other seat at the bar and have our lunch right there. The bartender quickly took our order and cancelled our table wait. And we settled in for a shared meal. We went fried food crazy. We ordered Portabella fries (which were lightly battered portabella mushrooms thick cut and fried. I think we would have liked them a little more if they were crispier but they were yummy none the less. ) and we also ordered a four piece white meat chicken basket. (Two breasts and large wings and a basket of potato fries) Yum! The crispy fried chicken was moist and delicious. The fries were good too and the cole saw was to be expected standard fare). We enjoyed ourselves and the bustling atmosphere of the packed bar/restaurant. It's tiny. But I would definitely make it a stop for lunch or dinner while in town. Just bring your patience...You are on vacation afterall...Relax.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Seven friends ate there in Sept. as it was highly recommended by a local Saugatuck resident. We all had good food .I loved my steak and the sauce that it had on the top. My friend had the perch which was good ( it had too much breading) for her taste. The ribs sauce was a bit too spicey but the ribs themselves were tender.The rest of the girls enjoyed their meals although one thought the special salad had too many ingredients in it. Would I go back?? yes!