“Best Restaurant in Saugatuck”

Phil's Bar & Grille
Ranked #1 of 57 Restaurants in Saugatuck
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner
Medford, New Jersey
“Best Restaurant in Saugatuck”
Reviewed December 23, 2011

We visit Saugatuck two times per year and always eat at Phils! My wife cannot wait to get the Broasted Chicken - it is unbelievable. Mark the bartender is outstanding - always friendly - the ribs are also tasty. We love Phils!

Visited December 2011

Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
“Thought it was a movie theater...but it's much much more!”
Reviewed December 20, 2011

We've been to Saugatuck many times and driven right past this place, thinking it was a movie theater with its marquee signage. But when friends suggested it for dining as one of the few spots open in town during the winter we wandered in and were pleasantly surprised with a vibrant bar scene, plentiful menu, and terrific service. Loved our meal, and the waitress could not have been more pleasant. For us it was a first ... but will most certainly not be a last, and has been added to our "must-go" list for future visits to this lovely town.

• Visited December 2011
Milwaukee, WI
“Lunch, dinner or just a brew”
Reviewed December 8, 2011

Phil's is a great place to stop in for one, or get a sandwich. Be sure to check out the marquee with Birthday's on it everyday. Phil's bartender Mark is quite a guy too. It is a comfortable place for a solo woman traveling alone.

• Visited October 2011
Chicago, Illinois
“Friendly atmosphere”
Reviewed December 2, 2011

Attentive service, plenty of comfort food at reasonable prices.

Visited November 2011
Grand Rapids
“My food was good, but not all of ours”
Reviewed November 19, 2011

I wanted to visit this place seeing it was so highly rated, and believe it or not, have not been here, despite tons of visits to Saugatuck.
Let me first say, the there was a long wait, and originally, they were not taking names. They just said, come back in 30 minutes, and things should start to open up. We did come back, and this time, I was surprised to see that they were taking names, just that we were not on the top of any list at that time. We did get seated finally, so no big deal. So here goes.
I got the Fish Tacos, which I will admit were very good. I seem to have a weakness for them, and I was happy to say, these were very good. They were beer battered cod, but I did not mind, and the fixings were very good. They bring you warm four tortillas with the cabbage, avocado, peco, and sauce all on the side. I loved them.
Now for the bad. My wife and son ordered a hamburger, and both were done medium.
Very dry to say the least, and the bread was not your normal round bun, they used a hogie style which made it very hard to eat. I tried my wife's after listening to her complain, and although I didnt hate it like both my son and wife did, I did think the meat was dry, and the bun was just not right for a hamburger.
My daughter got a Perch Sandwich, which was very very plain and basic. I heard so many good things about the perch, and I am asking myself now, why? No spices, no nothing. Very basic, with nothing to remember it by.
Service was slow when it came time for the check, but other than that, not bad considering the crowd.
Would I go back, yes, but I am afraid it will have to be without my family. Fish Tacos yes, Burgers, No!

• Visited November 2011