“Second Choice”

Ranked #23 of 56 Restaurants in Saugatuck
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Nice view, good service, food mediocre. In a great location, has live music on the weekend and you have the choice of sitting in or out.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

My husband and I went for a day trip to Saugatuck. We were looking for a place to eat on the water and ended up at Coral Gables. We asked to be seated outside under the umbrellas. It was a lovely, summer day and the view was relaxing. Just what we were looking for! We decided to share a perch dinner. Our very sweet and helpful waitress told us that they were known for their perch. I have a few places whose perch I really love, so I wasn't sure how this was going to be. I was pleasantly surprised at the exceptional taste and quality. The perch was very lightly breaded and cooked to perfection. The salad we ordered was very good and so were the fresh green beans. The decor from what we could see of the inside was not overly exciting, but our lunch was very enjoyable outside on the water. In this case, you are going for the food and the view - not the decor.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

Did not eat here, but on summer weekends you can hear great live music. We caught the end of a fellow who was actually a law student, but played the piano like Billy Joel (just for fun). He was awesome!

Reviewed August 7, 2012

The service at coral gables was fast, friendly and attentive- however, if I were the owner or chef of this restaurant, I'd be embarrassed by the quality of the food. The coconut shrimp appetizer would have been tasty if it wasn't slightly burnt and came out suspiciously fast, it was obviously frozen and not made in-house. The entrees are pricey for the substandard quality. I ordered the catch of the day, a red snapper, and had to send it back because it wasn't cooked all the way through. The so-called "chargrilled peppercorn crust" on the fish just tasted like a thick layer of black pepper, and the side dish, a rice pilaf, consisted of bland white rice with a few sad frozen vegetables thrown in and no seasoning whatsoever. When the best part of the meal is the bread basket, you know something's wrong. The menu and location seemed like they were part of a more upscale restaurant, but the servers wore casual t-shirts and yoga pants, which doesn't make any sense. We wouldn't recommend it.

Reviewed August 4, 2012

We've eaten here several times. This time was pretty dissapointing. My friends salmon was overcooked, the spinach salad I had was pricey for the quality. Note that the entrees' do not include a dinner salad or vegetable. So, even though the location is superb, the quality just isn't there.