“Question the bad reviews”
Review of Chequers of Saugatuck - CLOSED

Chequers of Saugatuck
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Kewanna
“Question the bad reviews”
Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

We visited on a Monday evening when pretty much everything in town is closed. We have visited Saugatuck before and have dined other places. The place was virtually empty , however the server was nice and the food very good. We didn't have anything fancy, I had a Reuben which was delicious and my husband had blAck bean soup and salad. I didn't find the place to be dirty as one reviewer commented. It was okay and the decor was interesting. I would recommend trying it.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank tcupps

Kalamazoo, Michigan
“Stay away, stay far, far away...”
Reviewed May 12, 2014

I'm not sure what restaurant some of these other reviewers were at but my buddy and I ate at Chequers for the first time in over a year on Saturday, May 10, 2014 and it was a $30 God awful experience. We arrived at 1 o'clock and were the only ones in the restaurant for the first 10 minutes or so. The menu was 90 percent breakfast items 5 percent kids menu with approx. 5 selections for lunch-none of which were all that exciting. Service was extremely aloof to what was going on around them even though there were no more than 10 customers in the restaurant by the time our entire meal experience ended (in fairness, the server we had was friendly and she did say she had only been there two months yet ironically she was training another server at the same time). The food was disgusting. I ordered a bunless burger for $10 ($2 additional for cheese) that was nothing more than a Gordon's Food Service frozen patty, burnt, that came out with mushrooms on top as opposed to haystack onions as advertised on the menu-I'd sooner stick a needle in my eye than eat a mushroom not to mention that mushrooms are one of the top five allergy linked foods there is-you don't simply just add mushrooms unless requested. My buddy had a grilled brat that left him sick within an hour of leaving and vomiting for the next 24 hours. On top of the terrible food we witnessed inexperience staff marrying old tomato juice with a fresh container of new tomato juice (Ie. pouring old into new) for a Bloody Mary bar that had all the items set out on the counter and not iced down. The sad thing is, we were really looking forward to our visit because this place used to be a gem for decades. We'd even make special trips there in the winter for their great burgers with creamy cods worth cheese, their shepherds pie, their fish and chips and honestly now, I wouldn't walk across the street for the place. Terrible, terrible experience.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank thepartyguys
Saugatuck, Michigan
“Now serving breakfast!”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Chequers now serves breakfast. Full breakfast menu, the food was excellent and the prices were very reasonable.

Visited January 2014
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Try the mushroom soup.”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Very nice little pub with good food. No view, but when you want to eat and move on, that's okay. I left my purse there and they put it behind the bar for me.

Visited June 2013
Sandusky, Ohio
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious food!!”
Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

The food was delicious. I took my family there for lunch. The service was a little slow. The price was on the higher side. I had the Guinness stew. It was good but just a little salty. I would go back for the fish and chips.