“Only good thing is the atmosphere”
Review of Chequers of Saugatuck - CLOSED

Chequers of Saugatuck
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Chicago, Illinois
“Only good thing is the atmosphere”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

My husband and I have been going to Chequers 3 to 4 times a year just to sit at the bar for drinks while listening to a local wonderful amazingly talented musican. On a recent Saturday night we were joined by friends and decided to eat dinner since the bar was full. The one and ONLY server gave us menus immediately but we received very poor service for the remainder of the evening. We started with the Welsh Rarebit appetizer which is melted cheese served with pieces of ordinary white toast. Cheese wasn't very warm to begin with. We asked for additional toast and by the time the server brought a plate with a single toasted (leftover?) bun the cheese was cold. It would have been nice if he offered to warm up the cheese if he knew it was going to take forever... and why a toasted BUN? No thank you. Had to ask repeatedly for more water after waiting what seemed as an unreasonably long time for additional drinks. Prices are a little high to give the impression that the food is something special. Not so much . My thoughts are if the new management is cutting back on the service they are also cutting back in the kitchen And it shows.

• Visited November 2012

Allegan, Michigan
“Good Food, but a bit overpriced”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Had read a review about their chicken pot pie, so decided to head over for dinner. My sister and I each had a chicken pot pie and my husband had the sheperds pie. Both were good and large orders, which is why they may have been priced at $13 and $14 (overpriced). My husband also had a bowl of potato soup, which was good (not great), but was $6 (it was a bowl of soup). Also $2.79 for a soda or tea is a bit steep. If I'm craving a chicken pot pie, maybe I'll stop by.

• Visited November 2012
Holland, Michigan
“Ok, not worth the money”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I hadn't been to Chequers in years and thought it would be fun. We went on a cold, rainy night and I was looking forward to the fireplace. The decor is cute and the staff was very attentive. The food was average, if not poor. The Welsh Rarebit was good, but they didn't provide nearly enough bread for all the cheese. The Ploughman's platter was overpriced and really poor quality. Cheese was ok, crackers were stale. Only fruit were a few grapes and strawberries - no apples or pears at all. Sausage was wierd. I've eaten at many English pubs over the years and this really isn't up to standard at all. There are many outstanding restaurants in the area. Try those first.

• Visited October 2012
saugatuck, michigan
“This place has changed FOR THE WORSE!”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I have always lived in Saugatuck and so had eaten at Chequers a number of times over the years and it was good, not anything amazing, but good. But recently my a friend who had moved down south came to visit my husband and I and he suggested going to Chequers since he had liked it a few years ago when we went there. So we decided to try it again and we expected something even better than before since it was under new management. But no, it has really gotten a lot worse. It's an English pub and they didn't have hard cider anymore. The when we got our meals they all had something wrong with them. My London broil was dry, way past medium, totally devoid of seasoning, and it came with a tiny scoop of mashed potatoes, some unseasoned mashed squash, and for some reason two triangles of unbuttered cold toast. My husband's ribs were desicated, past jerky dryness, and his broccoli was super salted, and his meal came with the ridiculous dry cold toast too. Our friend ordered the bangers and mash which used to be good with good smashed potatoes, three different kinds of artisan sausages and a stone ground mustard gravy. But now the dish consists of a lot of mashed potatoes, three generic johnsonville-type sausages, no gravy, that bland squash, and the cold unbuttered toast. Also when I asked for butter for the toast the server acted really annoyed and brought me ROCK HARD UNSALTED BUTTER! It was extra frustrating because the meals still cost about $15-$20 that we ordered. Don't bother going to Chequers. Walk a few steps more and go to Hercules, a restaurant that really has changed for the better (from hot dog place to Mediterranean food that is always good and friendly servers).

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank touringartist
Detroit, Michigan
“Pleasantly tasty”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We went there just to have a drink, but decided to stay for dinner after viewing the menu. The bartender waiter was extremely accommodating to our special food requests. Hummus was not on the appetizer menu as a solo item, but he let us order it anyway. The hummus and olive oil-pita bread were outstanding. They also accommodated a special salad request. The salad was great. I ordered the chicken korma which was a large portion that I could not finish despite its excellent taste and texture. Good beer selection.

• Visited October 2012