“Tried hard, but very disappointing”
Review of Quinta dos Poetas

Quinta dos Poetas
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pechao
Bude, United Kingdom
“Tried hard, but very disappointing”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Its dated but the hotel itself was clean and the hotel staff fine. If that's as far as you go/get then maybe it's ok for a night. It is very remote and hard to find.
My main gripe is the with the restaurant. The food was mediocre, the head waiter completely overpowering and over friendly. I had a very bad stomach on arrival at home and had to seek doctors advice. I cannot be 100 % sure but think my problems originated here with inexperienced kitchen chefs.
This was hinted at when we complained to the hotel receptionist the next day because to top it all, things had been added to the food bill i.e extra wine and beer.
There is also a weird large pond in the grounds which on first appearance looks attractive, but it is teeming with large terrapins and absolutely stank.
This is the first negative report I have ever made, but having been so ill, I really thought it was important to highlight some issues.
We got the feeling that the receptionist knew there were issues and it was not the first time people had complained. I also put a review on Booking .com but they are not in chronological order, so is lost somewhere.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Suereadart

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
connemara
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Just had afew days break, the hotel and grounds are very well kept, the family are very welcoming and you are make feel very relaxed. The pool area is very relaxing and stunning views.
I had dinner 1 night in the restaurant, the food was excellent and staff very helpful. hopefully I will get to return for a longer stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
St Austell, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel on the 5th of October for a wedding. Beautiful place, the grounds are magnificent, the meal at the wedding was superb.

The rooms in the hotel were spotless, beds comfortable also extra pillows in the wardrobe if needed. Breakfast was continental or cooked if you preferred
Would we stay here again YES

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alan40271
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2013

After five days of Pousadas in Central Portugal we checked in at the Quinta dos Poetas on the 15th of September for our last five days in Portugal. From the moment we arrived to the sad day of our departure everything was faultless. We arrived early and were sat on the terrace with a cooling gin & tonic whilst we waited for our room to be made ready. After only a brief wait we were informed that we had been upgraded to a superior room (No 209). This had a super view of the pool and gardens with a distant view of the sea.
Breakfasts in the morning were great with a very good selection of meats, cheeses, fruits and some really great local breads. Hot breakfasts such as bacon and eggs, boiled or scrambled eggs were cooked to order--none of the congealed mess sitting for too long in a hot tray that so many hotels seem to think is acceptable.
The pool and terrace area was relaxing and cleaned to a high standard every morning---despite the hotel being full we never had a problem finding a sun bed, indeed on one morning I counted a total of six people around the pool, including ourselves!
We tried the Hotel's restaurant on two of our nights and it was very good. There are, however a number of good restaurants within a short drive of Quinta dos Poetas for those people that wanted a change---we enjoyed "steak night" at Gunters.
Some reviewers have mentioned difficulty in finding the Hotel but the owners have made a major investment in signage around the lanes leading to the Hotel and we never found any problems I finding our way.
This is a Hotel situated in the countryside and I would recommend anyone staying at the Quinta dos Poetas to rent a car, although the hotel can organise very reasonably priced taxis for you if asked.
We have stayed in many luxury Hotels throughout the World and this ranks up there with some of the best---not because it's "super luxury" but because both the Hotel and the owners are so charming and helpful. They both want their Hotel to be a success and it shows in their attitude to their guests--nothing is too much trouble.
Thoroughly recommended---we shall return.

Room Tip: If you can get one of the two "superior" rooms they have quite a bit more space than the s...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank raycoole
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I only had the chance to stay here for one night, arriving late and leaving midday next day but I was impressed by the friendliness and welcome at the hotel. The room was clean and comfortable. Wifi worked perfectly. I had the chance to try out the pool which is well kept and large enough for a good swim. Recommend.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed at this hotel for a month while working in the area and found it to be a great home away from home, the staff are all very friendly and extremely helpful, the hotel is clean, quiet and very comfortable and is the perfect place for a holiday or business trip, we ate in the restaurant on a few occasions and the food was excellent. All in all a little gem, will definitely return!

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Clevedon
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I stayed here for a week at the beginning of June with my mum. If we had paid more attention to the map we would have arrive in 20 minutes from Faro airport but 30 minutes still wasn't bad and we were soon able to enjoy an ice cold glass of wine whilst sheltered from the mid day sun by the lemon trees.
Our room was perfect, beautiful view of the countryside and pool and we used this as a great base to explore the area further. It was kept immaculately and even if we left later in the morning and turned the cleaner away, it was still cleaned when we returned.
plenty of room to hang clothes and an iron was provided on request.
There is also a reasonable sized fridge in the room if you like more than a glass of wine.
Breakfast was fantastic, fresh breads, cheeses, meat, bacon and eggs cooked to order. Fresh fruit, cereals, and home made cake. One thing I miss more than anything is the coffee, the milk is hot and the coffee was lovely. There was also fresh juice and iced water.
I have to say, the owners here are so friendly, the common areas are tastefully decorated and there is plenty of space to lounge around without feeling like you are on top of other guests.
The restaurant was excellent! We had a set menu with house wine and couldnt believe how cheap it was compared to food of this quality in the UK. We also tried Ghunters restaurant where we were able to secure a taxi for 15Euros return. The hotel arranged this and Ghunters wife called the driver when we were ready to return. Not the best location because its off the main road but the wall provides shelter from this and the garden area has large umbrellas with fairy lights and the candles on the tables created a lovely glow.
I did check out the gym but just popped my head into the room, it doesnt look like anyone uses the equipment and I decided I'd would rather prefer a swim in the pool (a little chilly in the beginning of June) but lovely and fresh!
A big thanks to Patrick, so friendly and useful with local information. We were not disappointed when we visited the beaches. It was so easy to park along the seafront, most towns had ample free parking (may get busier further into season) and the ferries to the beaches were worth the trip. I was also surprised at how clean the toilets were. The sun-loungers and umbrellas were reasonably priced as well.
If you get a chance to go canoeing it is well worth it although my arms and legs were aching for a while afterwards.
I really miss this hotel and the staff really made the difference. I will definitely return. Mum returned the following month and was worried that we had thought to highly of the hotel because we had such a good break but she was not disappointed. My father now also shares our opinion.

Room Tip: Beautiful view overlooking the pool and grounds
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pechao
Real Marina Hotel & Spa
#4 of 15 in Tavira
Hotel Eva
Hotel Eva
#3 of 28 in Faro

Been to Quinta dos Poetas? Share your experiences!