“Great Italian food!!”

Francesco's Italian American Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 13 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Very large portions. Excellent italian food and american food. The fish and chips was great. The chips are homemade and so good. The service is very attentive and great. Very friendly people. Worth the trip!!

Reviewed March 25, 2013

My wife and I visited Francesco's back in February and the first experience wasn't that great. We decided to give it another shot this past weekend and had a much better experience.

My wife had the chicken parm (but with the house marinara instead of the Italian meat sauce. I had the all you can eat battered cod. Our server, Kaitlyn was pleasant and made our experience much better than our last visit. My wife really enjoyed the Caesar salad (instead of the house salad she went with last time). The bread is tasty too. My Italian wedding soup could have been better. About 3/4 to 4/5 of the cup of soup was simply carrots and celery. It was a decent value as well.

Helpful tip: My wife ordered the Malbec at first but was quite unhappy with it. They made sure she was happy by getting her a different wine.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

This authentic Italian Bistro has great food, a reasonably priced (but not cheap) menu an a full line of great wines and beers. Ask for one of Tracy's tables for service that cannot be beat. We commented that our food on a recent trip to Rome was not as good as the dishes here.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

My wife and I dined at Francesco's this past weekend. I had heard some good reviews on tripadvisor and a few not so good reviews on yahoo so I decided we should give it a shot to see what we thought of it. We had never been there before so we didn't know what to expect. We are both big fans of Italian food and have eaten at many really good Italian restaurants.

When we got there, the parking lot was full so I thought that was a good sign. You could tell the staff was a little rattled by being so busy but it may not have been evident to all diners. My wife was in the service industry years ago and we can be critical when service isn't up to par. I was pleased to see a decent variety of wines on their menu but would like to see a little more variety in each type. I say this because we asked our server the difference between the three types of Chianti and she said they were all very similar. The one she said was the driest is the one my wife went with and she didn't think it was really that dry. I went for a Pinot Grigio but asked what the difference was in the two as they were both Italian. Our server said they were similar as well but wasn't really a white wine drinker. She stated that one was more popular than the other, so I gave it a shot. I was quite disappointed in the wine I selected as it was quite one note (I'll know better for next time).

Now for the food, I thought for my first trip I would try a staple dish, chicken alfredo. My wife chose the manicotti. My wife really liked the sauce in her dish but thought the cheese on top was heavy handed. She scraped it to the side and the pile of cheese on top ended up being the size of a full manicotti. She was pretty pleased with her food overall. Her only complaint was that the homemade Italian dressing for her salad tasted like wishbone out of a bottle. As for my chicken alfredo, I found the chicken quite bland and lacking flavor. The alfredo needed more pepper and the flavor wasn't really developed. I was glad to see cavatappi as the pasta (for packaged pasta); it is a good change of pace as many restaurants do not use it. I will say I was a little surprised that with reviews stating how authentic this place was, I didn't see fresh pasta anywhere. Overall, I was disappointed in my dish.

The biggest disappointment of the night was that you could see and hear servers complaining and one in particular about being skipped. A note to the servers, we really don't want to see or hear your frustration while we are out to dinner. If you want to complain, do it behind closed doors, not in the dining room.

Overall, I wasn't that impressed and thought it was average. We'll give it another chance (maybe it was a bad night) and I'll probably go for a feature this time to see if it is any better.

1  Thank JGarrison41
Reviewed October 30, 2012

THe specials are always worth hearing. We had a new pasta dish called saccotini, with was small squares of pasta dough filled with sausage and twisted at the top. THen topped with a red pepper alfredo sauce. Delicious!