“Location Location Location”
Review of Boulevard Inn

Boulevard Inn
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Saint Joseph
Reviewed September 18, 2009

We found the BI to be a good place to stay in St Joseph. In our suite, the furnishings seemed older but everything was clean and comfortable. The staff was friendly and professional, the included breakfast buffet was fresh and hot; better than the average B&B fare. We did not eat any lunch or dinner at the BI so can't comment on those.

ST Joseph is nicer than many other lake shore communities, and the BI is right in the heart of the tourist area, with enough restaurants, bars, and shops to keep us busy. The Lake Michigan beaches and nearby dunes are truly awesome as well.

We stopped at a casino in Michigan City, though I forget which one it was. I did note that it was a "Boyd" property. Sam Boyd owns a slew of "locals" casinos in Vegas, and this casino measured up well with his Vegas properties. Most of the black jack tables seemed to have a $25 minimum bet, kind of rich for a cheapskate like me. They had plenty of slots and video poker; but I didn't see any video poker with optimum payout percentages.

Overall we had a very nice holiday on the Lake Michigan shoreline.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 16, 2009

St. Joe's is really an unprentious area so you can't have high expectations in comparing to other places. The hotel is the best I think in St. Joe's as it's located right downtown so it's nice because you can walk to the lake, restaurants and the shops. I liked that they set up the pack and play for our infant. We had a suite so it was nice having extra room. Although, I was surprised by the dated furniture, tube TV, and ugly bed comforter. It could use a make-over but it's a decent place and we'd stay there again. We had drinks in the restaurant bar downstairs and that was nice. The couches in the lobby were comfortable and nice to just relax while waiting for others if they are meeting you there.

Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2009

For the money we thought this hotel was a nice value. Front desk was very nice to me. I had no problems with my room. Nice experience. And the pizza place down the hill had the right aroma at the right time. We will stay again, but next time longer.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2009

Because most of the rooms look nothing like that. They are old, dated & Dirty. Don't look under the sink in the bathroom if you have a weak stomach. The condition of the room really ruined the trip for us. Make sure you ask for a room that has been re-modeled and you'll probably be ok..

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank larooo
Reviewed November 10, 2008

I can go on and on and write a long review, or I can bullet point the good and the bad.
I think bullet points work just fine.

Pros
-Very swanky main entrance.
-Nice bar area.
-Good continental breakfast
-Housekeeping staff was very friendly and helpful
-Great location

Cons
-Uninviting front desk staff.
-Rude (female) bartender. (Eye rolling, pre-occupied with the bar backs)
-Dated rooms, very dingy sofa.
-There was food left in our fridge upon check in.
-Lighting was terrible in the restroom.
-Shower would drain. (3-4 of the 6 rooms we occupied was like this)
-If you don’t mind stewing in your own filth, then you shouldn’t have a problem.
-Wouldn’t accepted a debit card that had a VISA logo on it, had to use a credit card.
-Overpriced!
-Did I mention rude front desk help?

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kathrynj81
Reviewed September 14, 2008

My colleague and I were in St. Joe's on business and stayed at the Boulevard Inn. The location is charming, and we enjoyed the views of the lake. However, the hotel itself is only charming to look at from the lobby. Once in our rooms, we both found them to be dirty and dated. The furniture in my room was very beat up. The lighting was bad. The carpet was dirty and had a lot of sand on it. The decor, including the metal horizontal blinds and wild bedspread patterns, was very 80s (or earlier?). In my room, the light in the bathroom was separated from the ceiling and I could see up into the rafters, which exposed some decaying or flaking drywall. There was a long, black hair in my soap dish, which bothered me a little. The floor was uneven and you could feel yourself walking "uphill" as you went toward the window. It just felt beat up and old and a little less than sparkling clean. For the money, I'm not sure if it's worth it. There is ample space for a family of four.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank abjj117
Reviewed September 2, 2008

We arrived a few hours before check-in on Sunday the day before Labor Day. Our room was ready. We got the key to room 711; as requested we got a room on the top floor with a wonderful city view even while lying on the king size bed. The bed, in fact, was very comfortable. We have stayed on beds that felt like the cardboard displays for bedding in a department store or others that were so downy we could not find each other in it. The room itlself was very well appointed with a couch, chair, desk, television cabinet, and a wet bar with refrigeratior and coffee center as we entered with plenty of lighting because there were no windows. The bedroom was straight ahead with a large window, another television and a king size bed that was covered with beautiful bedding with a lot of pillows. The bathroom was very clean and updated with dimmer lights and all the tolietries necessary for a comfortable stay. There were also ample towels that appeal to both my husband and I. One side was a little rough and the other soft.

The location was the best in the city. We were in the center of town; able to walk to shopping, restaurants, the beach, and right across the street from the bluff that overlooks Lake Michigan and the lighthouse(s). In fact, we walked right out on Sunday night at 10:00 to witness the most spectacular fireworks over the lake. Then on Monday night we sat on the inn's veranda right over Lake Street to watch the peop;le go by. Later we noticed a swing across the street on the bluff and walked over to watch the most amazing sunset over the lake.

Finally I have to mention the breakfast. For our first morning (Labor Day) they were still having their fully cooked breakfast buffet at the Bistro. It was wonderful. Scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, waffles, wonderfully seasoned potatoes, oatmeal, cereals, toast, juice, and coffee were all part of the buffet. The tables were open fot sit anywhere. We had a table by the window, but there were many tables including several out on the shaded veranda.

We truly loved our stay in St. Joseph at the Boulevard Inn. We are definitely planning another visit in the fall and will hopefully will be able to find a room there. The only downside for families is that there is no pool. However, because it was just my husband and I, we welcomed the quiet. By the way, the rooms were very quiet. We heard NO noise around us in the room. The only outside noises we heard were from 7 floors below, because we had opened our window. It is very rare for us to be able to comment that there was no noise coming from within the hotel/resort. We recommend this inn becsuse of our experience in room.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#4 of 6 in Saint Joseph
Comfort Suites St.Joseph / Stevensville

Been to Boulevard Inn? Share your experiences!